Thread: Android phones break more than Apple or BlackBerry

Android phones break more than Apple or BlackBerry

Cheap handsets using Google's Android operating system use unreliable components and break more than Apple or BlackBerry devices, new research suggests.

The repair costs to global telecoms operators could rise by as much as

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

And yet Consumer Reports still recommends Android over iPhone:
    http://www.theblaze.com/stories/ipho...-beat-android/
    "My heart shall cry out for Moab..." Isaiah 15:5

I am guessing that there are a lot less iphones sold in comparison. I am actually thinking about getting a used iphone for my kid, but I am shocked about all of the cracked or broken screens.

Yup...my first android broke after 20 months.

Oh wait...that was due to a leaky dry bag in Echo Canyon. Guess that doesn't count.

Quote Originally Posted by skiclimb3287 View Post
    Oh wait...that was due to a leaky dry bag in Echo Canyon.
    Isn't there an app for that?

Wait a second... You mean a cheaper phone breaks more often than an expensive one? People buying a cheap phone don't take as good a care of it as people who pay an arm and a leg? An open operating system with billions of options/providers crashes more often than a closed system maintained by one company and fewer options? People upgrading their firmware occasionally screw it up? PEARLS OF KNOWLEDGE!!!!

I wish I got paid to make up statistics like this and bash competitors of Apple, i could do so much better.
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

I have a case by AGF ($35) I bought when I got my 3GS after they came out. I have dropped my iPhone from up to 20 feet and numerous times (too many to count) from different heights up to 6'. I have accidentally slammed my phone on the ledge of my trunk (don't ask) and not one problem with it.

My previous 3GS I dropped in Mamie Creek in Death Hollow. It kept working but I kept getting error messages. I took it to the apple store in slc. My phone was out of warranty. They asked me what happened, I told them the truth and they replaced it for me for free.

I've owned crackberrys and windows phones and though I've never had an android phone, I don't see switching in my future.

Quote Originally Posted by bigred72 View Post
    I have a case by AGF ($35) I bought when I got my 3GS after they came out. I have dropped my iPhone from up to 20 feet and numerous times (too many to count) from different heights up to 6'. I have accidentally slammed my phone on the ledge of my trunk (don't ask) and not one problem with it.

My previous 3GS I dropped in Mamie Creek in Death Hollow. It kept working but I kept getting error messages. I took it to the apple store in slc. My phone was out of warranty. They asked me what happened, I told them the truth and they replaced it for me for free.

I've owned crackberrys and windows phones and though I've never had an android phone, I don't see switching in my future.
    I need to see video evidence, like this.

Your safety is not my responsibility.

^ That's a pretty interesting video.

wish I had 1000$ to blow on phones to throw around for a youtube video.

For a living I design high end electronic test and measurement tools that are used by most (all?) cell phone manufacturers. I have personally visited and talked to engineers at Apple, RIM, Moto, Samsung, LG, Nokia and Ericsson and the companies that make the chipsets that go in the phones. In my opinion there is a significant difference in the caliber of engineers that work for the various companies and the guiding principles of the companies themselves. A sweeping statement that Androids have better or worse quality is ill fated as there are too many variables. In general you get what you pay for.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathcricket View Post
    I need to see video evidence, like this.

now repeat that 100 times for each phone and you might have something worth paying attention to

(note: i've always considered these pretty delicate devices that should never be dropped)

I have noticed a lot of cracked screen i phones for sale on ksl. I wasn't sure if other phone brands with cracked screens are rare or if they are simply thrown away.

I LOVE my Galaxy S2! My two previous phones were iphones and this phone is so much better than them!