Thread: Icebox info

Icebox info

Has anyone done Icebox (Kolob) and gained access to side canyons that drain into it? Mainly the slickrock area to the east (between Death Point and Icebox).

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

It's been on my list for many years, but I haven't been to Death Point since 1992 because of the access issues. In 1992 we did the canyon east of Death Point and named it Secret Falls Canyon and a few years later we descended Icebox and afterwards one of our members (Stu Addler) made the original Black Book write up.

The "East Fork Icebox" was on the list during the same time period (and later), but I don't know of any routes up to Death Point from the bottom so I haven't gone back in recent years.

I think it was you that found the route up to Death Point from the bottom? If so, it would be the key to getting in there without crossing any private land. A lot of us (including me) would be interested in your route. I know just over 8 years ago, RAM also expressed interest in that canyon.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Looking from Death Point down looks like a big wall rappel...maybe 200'-300' at the shortest to access that country into East fork of Icebox with a 1,000’ plus of downclimbing slick rock.

I accessed Death Point from Private property...access can be through this "Secret Falls Canyon" but relentless! (still have to pass through private property eventually) that’s a good name I am assuming because of the seasonal waterfall from the springs above?

Looks like one could spend a few days exploring all the alcoves, slick rock and small peaks in the area of east fork Icebox!

I accessed Death Point from Private property...access can be through this "Secret Falls Canyon" but relentless! (still have to pass through private property eventually) that’s a good name I am assuming because of the seasonal waterfall from the springs above?
    You made it UP Secret Falls Canyon to Death Point?! Man, do tell. We have to hear about this. Even getting down it was an adventure!

Yes, we named the canyon after that waterfall. Since we did it in drought conditions and it was still flowing (albeit with a fairly small flow), I assume it usually flows.

If you can get up Secret Falls Canyon, then there is a way to get to Death Point without crossing the private land. Once out (I assume that you had to come out the east fork? I imagine the main fork would probably be impossible to ascend without ropes[?]), as long as you stay right on the rim of the canyon all the way around the headwall, the little piece of land (L-shaped on the land use maps) you cross which is outside the park, actually now belongs to the state of Utah.

Looks like one could spend a few days exploring all the alcoves, slick rock and small peaks in the area of east fork Icebox!
    Descending the canyon would be really interesting too.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Found this old post and bumping it. With Death Point being basically inaccessible (as far as I can tell) I'm curious if anyone has accurate information regarding how far up the side canyons to the east one might travel out of the main Icebox Canyon. Anyone here explored these in such manner? Only looking to get a few hundred yards at best. Thanks so much.

I would think that it would depend on how good you are at rock climbing. There is a fall out of that drainage right into Icebox Canyon, so you would need to climb it in order to explore further. You can however, explore the side canyon coming into Icebox to the west. It has some interesting climbs and stemming to get up.

8. Likes ratagonia liked this post