Thread: need advice on putting together a new chain

need advice on putting together a new chain

From what I hear I need to press my chain together with out a master link on a XR650R.

Anybody know if this is a must do?

I would really hate to find out the hard way with a cracked case.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Your XR650, like most bigger dual sport bikes, will come with a rivet type master link on a 525 cahin instead of a clip type link typically found on 520 chains. That would be my guess. You can buy 525 clip type master links too, otherwise you'll have to have a special tool to do the rivets on the master link. So yes, you need to rivet your 525 chain master link.

I simply changed my 525 chain to a 520 chain (more common and easier to find sprockets for) with a clip type master. I was also getting new sprockets. I strongly recommend http://www.procycle.us for your needs. They cater to dual sport, big bore bikes.
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

Hmm I bought a DID 520 VM with steel front and rear sprokets but it is an X -ring gold chain made mostly for ATV's with some of the highest tensile stregnth like 1800 plus pounds. 1827 or 1872 I think, And from what I understand the x ring helps with light dust and mud for keeping chain clean. It does come with a reg. master link. Oh and after a closer looksie it is a Gold and Black chain?
    THe Manual says 520 DID 110 o-ring for stock But I heard that they should always be rivet pressed. I have know idea but if I can use the supplied master link this would save me some on the tool thing. But maybe not my case when chain gets thrown.

I did decide to go back to a Dunlop 606 for the rear as it has given me my best tread life so far. Made a big rookie mistake by trying to turn my maxxis desert IT the other way when I got a flat at about 50% and have just about ripped every knob off down the center. Live and learn. Thought I could get better life with a fresh cliff face for digging. Big mistake as now i'm building a slick real fast LOL.

Should be able to completely destroy in the morn and maybe I can save the new tube for the new tire if I can time things well LOL.

Well the local Honda shop says $127-$170 for this job
    Yeh I think I'll invest in the heavy duty tool that should pay for itself first time with a little fudge room on the gravy train.

Hell even the local KTM shop says $100 for same job and we all know they are all about the green backs.

Or you could buy a clip type masterlink for $6. Just sayn'.......I've run clip links on my Dr650 thru some HARD off road/dune singletrack riding and I use it to commute 2-3 times a week as well. The clips are fine! Save yourself the $100 and buy me something for christmas!
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

I decided to go ahead and get the proper tool for the job and not take any chances when it comes to my crankcase. I hope this does not haunt me in the future but the way I see it is that the closer I stay to the specks by the pros the better of I am. MODS/FARKLE are good but some things are best not messed with IMHO

But then again sometimes a fool and his money are soon parted with.

And yes this tool will soon be rentable LOL.