Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: North Fork Robbers Roost with Don, Cody and Paul

North Fork Robbers Roost with Don, Cody and Paul

I made a last minute decision to run out and play with Cody, Don and Paul from Bogley this weekend. We chose the camp spot called Sand Pipes which we had to ourselves and was such a nice spot. Most of the planning was last minute including the canyon choice for the next day. Earlier in the day, the guys had done East Blue John and it was a pretty wet one. After eating a great dinner that the guys prepared, drinking a few beers and reading the beta (Circle of friends) on the available canyons at camp, they decided the North Fork of Robbers Roost would be fun. WOW! Was I in for an adventure. The rappels weren't huge- just really awkward starts for most of them along with some building of a natural anchor on the third rap to add to the excitement. Cody, Don and Paul are like canyon geniuses to me and it was so fun to hang with them and watch them problem solve. In the future, I'd like to be able to contribute more to the group in that way. I can't lie, I like being the girl and having SOME assistance but I also like feeling completely self reliant. We had fun down-climbs, interesting quick sand like mud to conquer, some minimal pothole action and some beautiful sections of tight, tall and dark slot canyons. We even had one section that was similar to the Subway, reminding us of Zion. This canyon really had it all, including a grueling up-climb, boulder hopping, rock climbing exit. For those two hours exiting, I maintained my composure-mostly because I had no choice.
    I think I looked at Don at one point (probably while sitting on his head or in some awkward position), scared to DEATH and said, "I CAN'T DO THIS". Thankfully the guys totally backed me up and knew I could. I can't say enough about the team work and help that it took to get my chunky butt up and out of that canyon. Apparently that was the only fearful thing I said and then my inner warrior took over and I just bombed up and out. My body is black and blue and it feels great!

I am posting this here in hopes that Paul, Cody and Don will add to it along with photos they took as well. I wished my photos were better but the excitement and wonder of my adventure left me with my camera in my pocket most of the time.

Canyoneering: the only activity where it's actually ok for married people to grope one another all in the name of partner assist and to get the heck out. HAHA!!

Name:  PA281284..jpg
Views: 683
Size:  80.5 KBName:  PA291319..jpg
Views: 727
Size:  86.9 KBName:  PA291294..jpg
Views: 731
Size:  70.9 KBName:  PA291367..jpg
Views: 702
Size:  80.9 KBName:  PA291316..jpg
Views: 727
Size:  109.5 KBName:  PA291325..jpg
Views: 610
Size:  59.7 KBName:  PA291365..jpg
Views: 645
Size:  103.2 KBName:  PA291315..jpg
Views: 708
Size:  107.1 KBName:  PA291344..jpg
Views: 734
Size:  82.0 KBName:  PA291361..jpg
Views: 759
Size:  84.2 KBName:  PA281276..jpg
Views: 654
Size:  57.7 KBName:  PA281287..jpg
Views: 666
Size:  55.2 KBName:  PA291352..jpg
Views: 680
Size:  102.8 KBName:  PA291306..jpg
Views: 680
Size:  88.9 KBName:  PA291301..jpg
Views: 692
Size:  144.5 KBName:  PA281278..jpg
Views: 659
Size:  116.7 KBName:  PA291314..jpg
Views: 687
Size:  79.2 KBName:  PA291318..jpg
Views: 775
Size:  115.4 KBName:  PA291371..jpg
Views: 661
Size:  118.5 KBName:  PA291327..jpg
Views: 731
Size:  98.2 KBName:  PA291317..jpg
Views: 654
Size:  87.5 KBName:  PA291312..jpg
Views: 702
Size:  89.6 KBName:  PA291374..jpg
Views: 643
Size:  36.5 KBName:  PA291299..jpg
Views: 737
Size:  195.3 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

looks like you guys had a fun time
    - Gavin

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Awesome

Nice story too.

Thank you all. I can't figure out how to easily organize my photos in sequence for this TR so I apologize for the randomness.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by abirken View Post
    Thank you all. I can't figure out how to easily organize my photos in sequence for this TR so I apologize for the randomness.
    The shoulder stand thing - going up or going down?

T

Nice write up. Your mid-climb-panic-quote was "I can't do this" but was immediately followed by "I can do this" like it was one sentence; "I can't do this, I can do this". And you started climbing again.
    No one knew how intimidated you were by the climb until it was done.

My camera is non-functional; I think I got sand in the works a some point. Hopefully Cody and Paul come post here...

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    The shoulder stand thing - going up or going down?

T
    Going down. Would have been easier dry but the landing was slippery mud.

Is that the same spot you were trying to build an anchor in the sand? When we werer there a week and a half ago, that downclimb was a breeze. But it was dry after all...

Canyoneering: the only activity where it's actually ok for married people to grope one another all in the name of partner assist and to get the heck out. HAHA!!

More than once I've heard my wife tell a nearly complete stramger.... "don't worry where you put your hands, just don't let me fall".

ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    Love it Alison! So wish I could have made it.
    Chere'

Quote Originally Posted by canyondevil View Post
    Is that the same spot you were trying to build an anchor in the sand? When we werer there a week and a half ago, that downclimb was a breeze. But it was dry after all...

I could be wrong but I think that was the 3rd rappel where the guys built the anchor? There had been one day of significant rain fall in this area just a few days prior so the pot holes were knee deep and the mud was a huge factor. I believe the downclimb would be easy without the muddy mess you had to fall into.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post

More than once I've heard my wife tell a nearly complete stramger.... "don't worry where you put your hands, just don't let me fall".

SO TRUE!!!!!!!!! It's a cheap thrills kind of sport.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post

Excellent report. Looks like a great time for all.

Uhhh yeah. I have no idea what is going on in the second picture. It must be some sort of canyoneering technique.

Nice trip report and pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by canyondevil View Post
    Yes, we built an anchor there (well, the rocks were mostly in place already), but instead of tying in Cody went down using the webbing as a hand line, then once down, he thought he could get down without it. So the rest of us went down using the hand line and help from Cody, then he went up, pulled the webbing and came down in the pictures Alison shared.

Obviously we could have sequenced that better.

Awesome!
    --Cliff

Quote Originally Posted by blueeyes View Post
    Love it Alison! So wish I could have made it.
    Woman, I soloed the estrogen power but had your thought in spirit! HEHE!

Thanks for the write-up Alison. We are definitely NOT "canyon geniuses", but I think we did a fair job at keeping things safe. Not too much more to say about the route and conditions. We re-rigged the big chock-stone rap (number 3) because the webbing wasn't great (a lot of sand had gotten inside of it) and the rap ring hung very low around the back side. We made a tie-in point on the side and then placed a rapide so it just barely reached the left (LDC) edge of the stone. Definitely made the start easier.

We were all very pleasantly surprised at what a great canyon North Fork was. Great narrows, some down climbs and then the Crack Exit definitely added some spice to the whole thing. I hadn't realized how many little chimney pitches there would be to the exit though. I know Alison didn't count on that either!

But, I think you are remembering your quote wrong, Alison. I heard you mutter softly to yourself "I can't do this..." but then immediately follow that up with an emphatic: "No. I CAN do this!" And you certainly did.

Here we are at the start:

Cody at the bottom of the first rap:

Alison commits to the adventure!

Yours truly enjoying the mini-subway section:

Don walking down those impressive narrows:

Checking out the 50 ft. rap into the muddy pool:

The ultra-wide lens distorts Don a bit, but I like the lighting. Looks like a rock album cover

You can see that it had flowed recently and was muddy in places:

A fun little hole to scramble down:

Artsy shot of narrows lighting:

The 4th rap was my favorite spot. Both leading to it and the area just below it:

Another nice narrows section and then it opens up:

I didn't shoot the Crack Exit. I wish I had taken the time in retrospect, but we were sort of focused on getting out safely and before it got dark. Here's the top looking out over the whole drainage:

By the time we got to the car the sun was setting over the Henry Mountains:

All-in-all just a top-notch day in a fantastic canyon with some great peeps!

What would have made it perfect was if Alison could have stayed the night and joined us for dinner. Don and Cody had planned Chicken and Dumplings in the dutch oven. But, it was late and we didn't want to wait for the dough to bake. Instead we improvised a Chicken in White Wine that turned out amazing. We just added a little bit of this and that (e.g. Jack Daniels Mustard and coffee creamer). Given where we were camped I'll name it "Bluejohn's Chicken" and get a recipe posted ASAP. The three of us sat around with some fine micro-brews, good conversation and a fabulous meal.

Nope. Doesn't get any better than that.
    It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life. - Ten Bears, "The Outlaw Josie Wales"

Paul- You out did yourself with the photos! LOVE THEM! You captured so many moments and the photos take me back to the day. Thanks so much for lugging around your fab camera through it all. I really do wish I could have stayed for dinner. NEXT TIME I will plan better.