Thread: Canyoneering Arches NP and the NPS

Canyoneering Arches NP and the NPS

I just noticed the Arches NP website has a canyoneering specific page.

http://www.nps.gov/arch/planyourvisit/canyoneering.htm

How long has that been around or have I just missed it all these years?

Canyoneering

NPS Photo by Neal Herbert
    Rappelling into a canyon in Arches

Canyoneering (also known as canyoning) is an adventure sport in which individuals travel through canyons that require the use of climbing equipment for rappels and other technical descents. Canyoneering in Arches does not require a permit unless the route is in the Fiery Furnace or involves an overnight stay in the backcountry. In these cases, permits are available at the visitor center on a first-come, first-served basis. All persons in your group must be present at the visitor center to receive the permit.

REGULATIONS

• It is the responsibility of all canyoneers to know and obey park regulations and route closures.
    • No new permanent hardware may be installed in any fixed location. Illegally placed bolts will be removed. If an existing bolt or other hardware item is unsafe, it may be replaced.
    • The use of power drills is prohibited.
    • Where it is necessary to leave or replace existing webbing, the webbing should closely match the color of the surrounding rock to reduce visual impacts.
    • Any arch or natural bridge named on the United States Geological Survey (USGS) 7.5 minute topographical maps covering Arches National Park is closed to climbing year-round.
    • Rappelling off any arch or natural bridge named on USGS 7.5 minute topographical maps is prohibited.
    PROTECT YOURSELF

Your safety is your responsibility, and there is no substitute for planning ahead, taking the proper equipment, having the right skills and using good judgment.
    • Canyoneering is an inherently dangerous activity. All groups should have the skills and equipment for self-rescue, and should consider the abilities of every member of their group before attempting a route.
    • Information provided on websites is not always accurate. Use good judgment when conditions on the ground don't match what you have read.
    • Never enter a canyon that is flooding or when storms are approaching.
    • Drink at least one gallon of water per day.
    • Always carry a map, adequate clothing and flashlight.
    • Remain in one place if you become lost or separated from your group.
    • Always let someone know where you are going and when you expect to return.
    • During lightning storms, avoid lone trees and high ridges. Sit in a vehicle if possible.
    • Be careful near cliff edges, especially when rock surfaces are wet or icy.
    Please report all accidents or injuries at the visitor center.
    PROTECT YOUR PARK

• Avoid trampling biological soil crusts. When accessing routes, walk on marked trails, slickrock or in sandy wash bottoms. Please avoid creating new trails.
    • Pack out all trash, including toilet paper.
    • Protect water sources. Do not swim or bathe in potholes or intermittent streams.
    • Preserve your heritage. Do not enter, alter or deface archeological sites. Leave artifacts undisturbed.
    • It is illegal to remove natural or cultural features including plants, rocks, artifacts, driftwood or antlers.
    • Pets are not allowed on trails or in the backcountry. Pets may be walked along roads and in the campground, but must be leashed at all times.
    • Vehicles and bicycles must travel on designated roads.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Wasn't there in 2010 according to internet caches.

If you look at the very bottom of the page, there is a "last revised" date in light-colored type. It shows Oct. 26, 2011. Same date shows on the page for Rock Climbing. I remember reading both of these pages a few months ago - perhaps July? and there have been some minor changes to them from what my somewhat failing memory recalls. I thought the rock climbing page at one time prevented actually putting in any new routes which prompted my question yesterday of whether it was a violation of park policy to put in a new canyon route as well. Other pages that link from the "Things To Do" page show different dates.

The page was new in oct of this year.

It looks like they incorporated some of the comments from the forms requesting comments on canyoneering and climbing mgmt in the park. Glad to see they took a fairly reasonable stance!

Interesting. How many designated or well known Canyoneering routes are in the park? Seem to be increasing...

There are currently about a dozen routes inside the actual park that are popular with canyoneers.

I'm thinking of including Arches on my next trip. Do you know a good resource for routes in the park?

Quote Originally Posted by ag23 View Post
    I'm thinking of including Arches on my next trip. Do you know a good resource for routes in the park?
    Everything you ever wanted to know about canyoneering Arches NP and the Moab area:

Moab Canyoneering