Thread: Zion this weekend

Zion this weekend

I'll be in St. George this weekend and I'll have Saturday afternoon free if someone wants to run a canyon. Probably have to be Pine Creek or anther shorty type route. It's just my afternoon is free and I'd hate to waste it sitting poolside drinking beer....

Also.... I was persuaded into taking some noobs through Yankee Doodle next week and was interested in the water situation so I know how much gear I need to pack for the noobs.... wet suits required? and if so how much. I have only done YD when it was dry or near dry.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Don't know current conditions but our forecast the next week includes 2-3 chances of rain.

Enjoy the trips.

How much water does Yankee Doodle hold after a rain? As I said, I've only seen it nearly dry and that was several years ago. If it were just me I wouldn't worry as I know you can do the route car to car in less than 45 minutes if you are fast. But with noobs everything is slooooowwww.... which means cold if you are wet.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    How much water does Yankee Doodle hold after a rain? As I said, I've only seen it nearly dry and that was several years ago. If it were just me I wouldn't worry as I know you can do the route car to car in less than 45 minutes if you are fast. But with noobs everything is slooooowwww.... which means cold if you are wet.
    This time of year it could hold plenty. But it is low and warmish, so... ???

How about Lower Fridge Sat afternoon. Long raps, no wetsuit required. Group size limit 6, though. I could be talked into it.

Tom

I'll have one of my daughters with me and she kinda has her heart set on Pine Creek (she has never done it)... so that is currently our first choice. We have plenty of rubber for the two of us so that is not an issue.

As for YD I guess I'll just put everyone in neoprene and than I don't have to worry about it.

If you want to do the slot with us I'll buy you dinner and a beer afterwards at Jacks while we watch the Utah/AZ game.

Ice,

I'm considering doing YD on Saturday. I was just looking up the beta on it.

I failed to do it a couple of years ago due to soreness after a long night up the MIA the night before. My other two partners did it while I stayed at the trailhead. I've always kind of regretted that.

Anyhow ..Looking for a short one before the drive home on Sat. Still not certain if that will be my choice or not but if it is I will update.

I just took a group through YD on Saturday. There's a little water to stem over but not a single person got wet. (Big group, total noobs wearing flip flops) There's some water on the last pothole that the athletic can get over super easily and the skittish can be handlined past (have someone hop up left LDC and lower a webbing handline down). Wetsuits would be a hassle and totally unnecessary; the canyon is drier than I've seen it.
    You May All Go To Hell And I Will Go To Texas

Just to give you hope, we took 23 people through (it was a birthday trip and we were heading to New Harmony after climbing in San Jorge) and we did it car to car in 1:30. Y'all should fly through it.
    You May All Go To Hell And I Will Go To Texas

I recently discovered that about an hour after you hit your finger hard with a framing hammer, it turns black

'course for me, the worst part is it makes typing difficult... what will I do for entertainment???

So I am out, sorry to miss it.

Looks like snow tonight.

Tom

What did ya end up doing???

6" of snow here this morning, playing havoc with the internet connection and the power line into the house....

T

Saturday morning the wife ran a half marathon in St. George.

Saturday afternoon it was colder than hell.... so we went to Jacks and watched football....

Utah won

LSU won

Somehow I walked out of Jacks with a $300 bar tab.

But it was worth every cent for the fun we had.

Sunday we hit Meadow and soaked in the hot spring.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    Saturday afternoon it was colder than hell.... so we went to Jacks and watched football....
    Are you saying it was a bad idea for us to start pinecreek at 5 pm and ascend back to the top in the dark when we were done?....