Thread: Subway in November

Subway in November

So, I picked up a permit to do the Subway the first weekend in November and just wondered a few things. Will a 3/2 full wetsuit be warm enough or will I need something more substantial? Will my hands freeze? I plan on using neoprene socks to keep my feet warm. What else should we expect?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    coach, there was a TR posted not long ago
    http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthre...-Russell-Gulch

"The water in the Bowling Alley was soooooo cold. I had my 3mm farmer john wetsuit on and I was cold. And add to that the fact that I have a very high tolerance for cold water."

I plan on going through the subway via Russell Gulch on the 5th and only intend in taking a 3/2 with me. I do have some neoprene gloves I wear but only for pure comfort not really out of necessity.

I think the last post (the cold) had to do with it being a farmer John suit. If I remember that post correctly he also stated he should have brought his 2mm top and he would have been just fine.

It should be fun, I haven't done the subway in about 5 years. Not sure what day your in there but maybe I'll see you there!

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bshelton View Post
    I plan on going through the subway via Russell Gulch on the 5th and only intend in taking a 3/2 with me. I do have some neoprene gloves I wear but only for pure comfort not really out of necessity.

I think the last post (the cold) had to do with it being a farmer John suit. If I remember that post correctly he also stated he should have brought his 2mm top and he would have been just fine.

It should be fun, I haven't done the subway in about 5 years. Not sure what day your in there but maybe I'll see you there!
    The water in the Subway, except for the first couple pools, is spring-fed, therefore, somewhat warmer than you might think:

http://canyoneeringusa.com/rave/0703zion/index4.htm

Still, a 3/2 would be a little thin for me, with the air temperatures I would expect (high in the 60's?).

T

Thanks for the tips. We'll be in there on the 5th as well. I may try to scrounge up a jacket or something to add another layer up top.

Just ran the Subway yesterday. I didn't feel like taking a wetsuit but with some creative climbing I only got wet up to my knees once. Sketchy scrambling and funky downclimbing were the order of the day. If you want to do it the legit way (and the non-wimpy way), my friends all had 3/2 suits and were pretty cold, so the more neoprene the better. Neoprene socks are a necessity.
    You May All Go To Hell And I Will Go To Texas

PS - I've got a neoprene top. If you're smaller then you'll probably be able to fit into it. Let me know if you're in Utah and want to borrow it.
    You May All Go To Hell And I Will Go To Texas

Well, with the bad weather forecast this weekend, all our buddies bailed on us. But, my wife and I decided to brave the cold / rain / snow and head to Zion anyway. Having no second car to shuttle and afraid we would not be able to thumb a ride (not many people driving that way in the cold), we just went from the bottom up. The weather turned out to be cold but not bad at all. Feet stayed warm with neoprene socks and we stayed dry above the knees. We would have liked to have gone farther (actually would have still gone from the top with one other car), but it was a blast anyway.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Polvalt View Post
    Well, with the bad weather forecast this weekend, all our buddies bailed on us. But, my wife and I decided to brave the cold / rain / snow and head to Zion anyway. Having no second car to shuttle and afraid we would not be able to thumb a ride (not many people driving that way in the cold), we just went from the bottom up. The weather turned out to be cold but not bad at all. Feet stayed warm with neoprene socks and we stayed dry above the knees. We would have liked to have gone farther (actually would have still gone from the top with one other car), but it was a blast anyway.
    Good on ya!

T