Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hogs difficulty, Hog 3 especially

Hogs difficulty, Hog 3 especially

I've read enough descriptions and trip reports to have a good idea about what to expect in Boss Hog. Hog 2 and Miss Piggy (Hog 4) seem to be of comparable difficulty?

Hog 3 aka Razorback gets a more serious rating. I am curious why. What are the difficulties? Exactly how hard is it?

Any info or advice greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

It has been a few years since I have done it, but there are a number of difficult downclimbs with some exposure (20 ft?). Otherwise it is straightforward. I would say it is more serious that Hog 1 and 2. It is certainly not an extreme canyon, but you should be comfortable with drops like that

Nat

there are ass jabbing nubs on the downs climbs.

Quote Originally Posted by mrbrejcha View Post
    FWIW: That is why its called "razorback".

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SarahT View Post
    I've read enough descriptions and trip reports to have a good idea about what to expect in Boss Hog. Hog 2 and Miss Piggy (Hog 4) seem to be of comparable difficulty?

Hog 3 aka Razorback gets a more serious rating. I am curious why. What are the difficulties? Exactly how hard is it?

Any info or advice greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    Canyoneering does not have an exact rating system like climbing.

"Harder" canyons tend to be a mix of harder moves over bigger drops, not rappellable, spottable or protectable. So Hog 1, Hog 2 and Miss Piggy have stuff that is higher than Middle Leprechaun, but not very hard - all the moves are pretty easy. Hog 3 has moves that are harder, more physical, and off the ground. It is a step up from the others, about the same step up from Hog 1 and Hog 2 as they are from Leprechaun.

And the rock is really rough, so it hurts, too, or as Mr. Brejcha says so eloquently: "there are ass jabbing nubs on the downs climbs".

Tom
    Last edited by ratagonia; 10-29-2011 at 08:45 AM. Reason: add brejcha's quote

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post

And the rock is really rough, so it hurts, too.

Tom

Thanks for the beta guys. I enjoyed all 4 Hogs this weekend :). Love the Razorback name for Hog 3; very fitting.

how was the road to the top?

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeyBiggs View Post
    how was the road to the top?
    High clearance needed but not 4WD. There were some deep channels/washouts running along the road in a couple places but they were easy enough to avoid. Nothing terrible. Most trucks and suvs would be fine.

Thanks for the beta guys. I enjoyed all 4 Hogs this weekend :). Love the Razorback name for Hog 3; very fitting.
    fun canyon i like how at the last rappel you rappel from one wall of the canyon and land on the opposite wall

Thanks again for the info. Figured I'd post some links in case anyone's interested in seeing some pictures from the Hogs.

Boss Hog
    Hog 2
    Razorback
    Missy Piggy

Awesome photos.

I just realized you are the same Sarah I met in North Wash a few Novembers ago. We did Shenanigans together (i was the ugly one named Dan). Looks like your 13ers project is going pretty well.

Blog Entries
    Thanks again for the info. Figured I'd post some links in case anyone's interested in seeing some pictures from the Hogs.

Boss Hog
    Hog 2
    Razorback
    Missy Piggy
    Those are great pics! Sounded like a fun adventure - although, I would like to hear about the deadman failing on ya.
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Really nice photos. Well done!
    Life is Good

Dan - Hi! Being such a big shot canyoneer I figured you wouldn't remember me. Took me a while to figure out CarpeyBiggs was you but I recently put 2 and 2 together. Ugly one named Dan... ha!, not exactly the word I would have used. As for my 13er project, I completed it in late September and rewarded myself by spending every weekend of October canyoneering in Utah . With those pesky peaks out of the way I have more time for REAL fun!

jman - Sorry, I don't have a lot of details regarding the anchor failure because I was down below already. Apparently the deadman anchor was borderline to start. I rapped successfully (with an unweighted meat back up). Several others followed. Then when one guy was just about to start rapping someone noticed the anchor moving around. They beefed it up.

Boss Hog
    Hog 2
    Razorback
    Missy Piggy
    Nice work. Looks like a lot of fun
    - Gavin

I enjoyed your photos very much! Thanks for sharing.

Hi Sarah. Nice shots. You need to get someone else to be the expedition photographer more frequently so we can see more of you in the photos! Do you use a particular photo gallery program? Can you tell us what it is?
    Congrats again on finishing the 13ers. Tell your gang hello for us. They all make for a strong & efficient group. I see you're learning why we never did let peakbagging dominate our entire agenda. Too much fun to be had doing other things like these canyons. Maybe we'll see ya out there some time.

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Very nice TR and pics