Thread: the association & new Zion comment period

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar

the association & new Zion comment period

what role should the association play with the new Zion comment period?

if there was a time to unite and get an interim BOD running now would be the time to decide.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I agree.
    Some people "go" through life and other people "grow" through life. -Robert Holden

I'm still not sold that an organization is even required. I can see no reason this can't be handled through the forums by providing information and a discussion on the consequence of the different options.

If an organization does exist I would expect them to provide me with the information, a link or email address of where to vote, and perhaps some guidance or suggestions in how I should cast my vote.

This specific situation seems out of a new organizations operation. Way too soon to make an official statement when the idea of it is still so nebulous.

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    the reason I think a position from an organization would be good is to develop a consensus among the community and lobby for that option. it would be bad if we become evenly split among the community that way they could say again there is no consensus & thoughtful recommendations among canyoneers for anything.

Quote Originally Posted by restrac2000 View Post
    This specific situation seems out of a new organizations operation.
    I was unaware of new organizations operation procedures. Please post so I can read it.

Why should access related issues not be part of any canyon organization?

Quote Originally Posted by restrac2000 View Post
    Way too soon to make an official statement when the idea of it is still so nebulous.
    If not now, then when?

How long do we want to keep debating this before setting anything up? 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, or never

Quote Originally Posted by trackrunner View Post
    the reason I think a position would be good is to develop a consensus among the community and lobby for that option. it would be bad if we become evenly split among the community that way they could say again there is no consensus & thoughtful recommendations among canyoneers for anything.

I was unaware of new organizations operation procedures. Please post so I can read it.

Why should access related issues not be part of any canyon organization?

If not now, then when?

How long do we want to keep debating this before setting anything up? 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, or never
    Agreed. Sometimes the best way to get an organization moving is to have a strong reason to move We've got arches access plans, zion reform, continuing Grand Canyon discussion, all of this is relevant, important, and the sooner we can create a central organization the sooner we will have more clout I will write letters to the parks and I will push for people to make their voice heard but if we can get a Canyon group together soon then we have a body that can quickly lobby with lots of voices. I agree that the details need to be worked out Phillip, but there is also Carpe Diem and the possibility of working out kinks along the way... will we miss the boat?
    - Gavin

A) I don't run or control the new organization's outcomes so if people want to make it happen....feel free to do so.
    B) I agree with starting the organization sooner than later
    C) I have vocalized a need to focus on the process of the organization which I stick behind. I believe running the democratic element of an org is as important as the outcomes. I personally think rushing it right now may jeopardize that priority for me but thats not written in stone.
    D) The first campaign and actions of the organization will affect how it is perceived for a long time.

If someone wants to grab the reigns of this thing go for it, no one is stopping you. It could help.

Phillip

i'm not convinced that input to the NPS from an "official" org vs. letters from individuals will make a different impact. This chatroom on Bogley is the de facto interim org, so any letter-writing campaigns can simply be started here, right?

I agree that hastily putting an organization together could have long term potential consequences. Ones that we may or may not recover from.

I also agree that a united voice has a much higher impact on achieving our universal goals. I'm sure if the NPS receives 300 letters consisting of 300 different ideas, they will surely move in their own direction simply stating they can't make us all happy.

On the other hand if they were delivered one letter from the canyoneering community along with 300 signatures attached, that would be harder to ignore.

Idea.. Although we currently don't have an official organization in place we do have a well established community in place here on Bogley.
    We have seen the various ideas already so IMHO if one person wrote a letter combining those ideas into one acceptable thought we could then sign( or electronically attach) a petition to said letter.

Once the draft letter is written it could be posted here on Bogley for any editing prior to it being sent.

This would momentarily address both concerns.

I would offer to write the letter ( and will if needed) but I'm sure there is someone here that can craft such a document much better than me.