Thread: Canyoneering in Mexico

Canyoneering in Mexico

I'm going to Mexico City this summer and am wondering if there are any canyons I can hit while I'm down there. I've seen pictures of canyons in Nuevo Leon, but that's a little too far away for me. Does anyone know if there are any canyons near Mexico City? And if so, are they worth my time? And if so, how might I find someone to go with me?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I don't know if there are slots around Mexico City or not, but if there are, canyoneering would be a very poor choice for a summer activity there.

Summer is the wet season in all of Central and Southern Mexico. July and August average 27 rainy days each of those months in Mexico City. Contrast this to winter where December and January only have 4 rainy days each.

If you wanted to go canyoneering there, November through March would be the only reasonable time to do it. June through September would be a bad time to even think about it.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post
    I don't know if there are slots around Mexico City or not, but if there are, canyoneering would be a very poor choice for a summer activity there.

Summer is the wet season in all of Central and Southern Mexico. July and August average 27 rainy days each of those months in Mexico City. Contrast this to winter where December and January only have 4 rainy days each.

If you wanted to go canyoneering there, November through March would be the only reasonable time to do it. June through September would be a bad time to even think about it.
    Good to know. Would May be workable assuming there's something around? I know there's stuff in Nuevo Leon, but I'm not sure what's around Mexico City, but there are mountains, so I'm holding off hope that there is at least something relatively near.

May is an in-between season averaging 14 days of rain, so maybe. I don't know anything about canyons around Mexico City (I've only climbed peaks there), so I can't say.

There are plenty of good river rafting trips, ruins to see and good hikes not that far from Mexico City that should be good in May.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Please excuse me for this off-topic suggestion, but it is a good place for mountaineering. Several large volcanos just down the street and go up to about 18,500 ft.