Thread: Middle Fork Lytle Creek (Los Angeles Region)

Middle Fork Lytle Creek (Los Angeles Region)

I did the Middle Fork of Lytle Creek yesterday with four other friends. None of us had done the canyon before, but it was a great time! The Middle Fork is a great little canyon dominated by two sets of towering cascades.

Some easy down boulder and a short rappel bring you to the top of the first set, small 10ft, then the 80ft main falls to a pool, with third 15ft fall from the lip of the pool to the canyon floor.

The second set is a breathtaking triple cascade of 70ft, 60ft and 100ft. We did the first two in one long rappel.

This is the bottom of the last fall, and you can see the second above it. Unfortunately I didn't get a picture at the bottom of 2nd.

There is an full description with GPS points on Christopher Brennen's site. There are a lot of different anchor points. It looked like someone ran it recently and put anchors directly in the water course going straight down the falls (must have been low water) and there are older anchors far to sides, maybe from high water. We followed Brennen's description and used anchors just to the sides of the falls, which kept us dry from the knees up. He has a warning that for one rappel you have to anchor to a tree behind a sharp rocky battlement, but thanks to flooding those trees how lean over the battlement, so this is now an easy setup now.

Listed time is 6.5 hours, but it took us a 8 hours, mostly due to screwing up the throws again and again (nearly all the throws have some rope-hungry shrubs) and we spent a lot of time trying find anchor points and figuring out which ones to use.

Other random pictures:

The canyon is very nice hike.

A little fall foliage.

Trying to stay dry!

-Andre

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nice! Thanks for the pics. It's funny I was just looking up beta on this canyon today. I'm out in AZ but I'm headed out to CA shortly and was looking for a canyon to do during my trip. Looks like this will be the one.

Blog Entries
    That's a great picture of the second set of falls. Well, really they are all good!
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Bshelton View Post
    Nice! Thanks for the pics. It's funny I was just looking up beta on this canyon today. I'm out in AZ but I'm headed out to CA shortly and was looking for a canyon to do during my trip. Looks like this will be the one.
    Good choice!

Oh, there isn't much of a path for a drop in point, but as long as you are upstream of the GPS coordinates in the link, you'll be upstream of the first falls and can descend the wooded slope any where.

Thanks for the tip!

Nice pictures. I haven't been in that canyon for a couple years now. I think it is time to go back. That is a great canyon to do in the winter as there are so many icicles that form around the waterfalls.