Thread: The Narrows-My first backpack trip!

ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar

The Narrows-My first backpack trip!

Name:  DSCF4150..jpg
Views: 669
Size:  205.4 KB

Long before I started my crazy outdoor adventures, long before the notion of living in St. George ever crossed my mind and long before I knew slot canyons existed Jenni asked me if I wanted to do a Narrows trip with her. This was sometime after we moved back from Tennessee but before Kaylee my littlest niece was born. I think she told me it was a long hike through a canyon down in Zion. At that time I had only been to Zion once when I was about 10. It sounded interesting enough and I agreed to go. Kaylee is now 5, I seem to have some high adventure trip planned once a month, I have been living in Southern Utah a little over a year now, I am addicted to seeing slot canyons, and have bought two annual National Parks passes that have mostly been used to traipse through Zion.

We started planning this trip back in January. Originally we were going to go in May but this did not work out. This turned out to be a good thing because the spring weather in Zion was extremely wet and the Narrows route was closed anyway.

Jenni wanted to do an overnight trip meaning this would be my first backpack trip. I have been on one other backpack trip with Erin when we were little girls but we didn
    Attached Images Attached Images               
    Chere'

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Congratulations! Sounds like a fantastic time for the whole group, but you and Spencer especially. A couple more and you can help me clear out the Black Widows in my garage
    It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life. - Ten Bears, "The Outlaw Josie Wales"

ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    Oh hell no! Came across a HUGE orb weaving spider the other day on my walk home from work. Things was as big as my fist. Gave me a heart attack. Not sure if I will take the short cut route home from work anymore. Get the heebeegeebees just thinking about it.
    Chere'

Very nice trip and pics!

Great trip report! You picked one hell of a rough trip for your first backpack trip. Good call on the shoes and poles though. Seems like the daddy long legs have been out of control this year. I can't imagine sleeping sans-tent with them all over like that.