Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Official 2011/2012 "Where are you getting your turns?" thread

The Official 2011/2012 "Where are you getting your turns?" thread

Where is everyone heading this season? I'll start:

I am back at Snowbird for my 5th season in a row. I almost have my touring set up complete, gonna try to get out more in the backcountry this season for photos and getting away from the crowds. I am thinking weekdays at the Bird, weekends touring. We will see how it goes.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    I will be lucky if I make one ski trip this year. It will either be Snowbasin or Eagle Point. So keep the trip reports coming I really enjoy them. You must know I am completely green with jealousy.
    Chere'

Quote Originally Posted by blueeyes View Post
    I will be lucky if I make one ski trip this year. It will either be Snowbasin or Eagle Point. So keep the trip reports coming I really enjoy them. You must know I am completely green with jealousy.
    Why only one trip?

Well trying to outfit two kids in skis and boots Spencer is 6 foot now and has impossible feet to fit into ski boots(size extra wide+thick 12's) last time we rented he had to go two sizes bigger just to get his foot in the boot. He has some odd feet, hates shoes. The only thing he likes to wear are the vibram toe shoes. I probably have Sarah covered with Spencers old stuff just need to pull the gear out and see. However both have completely out grown the coats and pants. Then add the cost of gas, tickets and food. Skiing is a rich mans sport. Who knows maybe I will happen upon a spare $1000.
    Chere'

Well trying to outfit two kids in skis and boots Spencer is 6 foot now and has impossible feet to fit into ski boots(size extra wide+thick 12's) last time we rented he had to go two sizes bigger just to get his foot in the boot. He has some odd feet, hates shoes. The only thing he likes to wear are the vibram toe shoes. I probably have Sarah covered with Spencers old stuff just need to pull the gear out and see. However both have completely out grown the coats and pants. Then add the cost of gas, tickets and food. Skiing is a rich mans sport. Who knows maybe I will happen upon a spare $1000.
    The money thing for sure has got me thinking that I may solely turn to touring next season. I wont have time this year between work and school, so lift access is gonna work best. But next year I think I am gonna earn my turns, and maybe just get a one day a week pass to Solitude or something incase we have a really gnarly avy cycle.

I feel you on the cost thing, only thing I bought this year was a pass. And those dont come cheap. Hope my gear holds out.

Yeah while they were on Snowbasin's ski team I spent a small fortune on passes, gear and what not. Dam! That was a fun three years. Don't regret one penny. Anyhoo keep the reports coming I do enjoy them.
    Chere'

This will be my 8th season at Alta. Got my full pass (always hurts the wallet) and Carrie has a Gold Card. This will be her second season skiing! She bought herself a nice setup this year. I can't wait to see how she does on her own gear and not in a crappy rental set up. We also happened to come by two PCMR season passes for $50 each!!!!! These are the full passes that include no blackouts, Fast Pass, Underground parking and night skiing. A friend from work bought a car last week and these came with it. Her and her husband can't ski anymore so she offered them up to people at work for $50 a piece. Luckily had my e-mail up when she sent it out and I was the first to respond . It will be fun to have 2 season passes this year .

I also backcountry, and am hoping to get more days in this year. Got probably 7 or so last season (not counting my 1 day a month days this summer). Took my Avy 1 course two seasons ago and have been trying to get more and more days in the backcountry. I am always happy to get out, so once you get your gear all set, hit me up if you need a partner for the day! I am a weekend warrior though, as I can only get out during the week for a few hours on a deep powder day if my boss OKs it.

Stoked for the season! Snow in the mountains tomorrow

This will be my 26th season at PCMR with a season pass. Hope this year is as good as last.

Quote Originally Posted by skiclimb3287 View Post
    This will be my 8th season at Alta. Got my full pass (always hurts the wallet) and Carrie has a Gold Card. This will be her second season skiing! She bought herself a nice setup this year. I can't wait to see how she does on her own gear and not in a crappy rental set up. We also happened to come by two PCMR season passes for $50 each!!!!! These are the full passes that include no blackouts, Fast Pass, Underground parking and night skiing. A friend from work bought a car last week and these came with it. Her and her husband can't ski anymore so she offered them up to people at work for $50 a piece. Luckily had my e-mail up when she sent it out and I was the first to respond . It will be fun to have 2 season passes this year .

I also backcountry, and am hoping to get more days in this year. Got probably 7 or so last season (not counting my 1 day a month days this summer). Took my Avy 1 course two seasons ago and have been trying to get more and more days in the backcountry. I am always happy to get out, so once you get your gear all set, hit me up if you need a partner for the day! I am a weekend warrior though, as I can only get out during the week for a few hours on a deep powder day if my boss OKs it.

Stoked for the season! Snow in the mountains tomorrow
    Man PC pass for $50? Awesome.

Yes the winter weather is coming, but we will warm up this weekend. We need to just cool off so the new snow will stick around. I'll be next door at the Bird!

Quote Originally Posted by middlefork View Post
    This will be my 26th season at PCMR with a season pass. Hope this year is as good as last.
    26 seasons? Holy shiz- that is awesome!

I am praying that La Nina will repeat her performance as well. Fingers crossed.

Yeah while they were on Snowbasin's ski team I spent a small fortune on passes, gear and what not. Dam! That was a fun three years. Don't regret one penny. Anyhoo keep the reports coming I do enjoy them.
    Will do. If I run into any pass ops, I will let you know. Free is good!

Got the family passes for Basin this year. Also I'll be hauling the neighbor kids up with us as well. Hope to get a lot more days out this year.

I'd like to head up to Powder Mountain a lot this season. I hadn't been there for probably a decade until last winter and I forgot how much ungroomed territory they had up there.

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    I'd like to head up to Powder Mountain a lot this season. I hadn't been there for probably a decade until last winter and I forgot how much ungroomed territory they had up there.
    I had a Pow Mow pass a couple of seasons back. Cobabe Canyon has all sorts of quick hits of nice pow and trees. Just such a long drive from where I am at, I can't justify being there all season.

That is all you guys are going to hear from me all season long is
    Chere'

I am still rehabbing my knee after a nasty MCL injury that I incurred during spring skiing. It's at about 80%. I'll prolly be pretty nervous this year.

Don't be too nervous! I skied 6 months after MCL repair and removal of some of the meniscus. Keep your leg muscles strong.
    Chere'

Yeah, trying to get back to full strength. I just started basketball again. I hope to get some turns in this year. Maybe a few Bogley ski nights.

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca View Post
    Yeah, trying to get back to full strength. I just started basketball again. I hope to get some turns in this year. Maybe a few Bogley ski nights.
    That is a tough injury, sounds like you are making good progress to be playing B-Ball.

That is all you guys are going to hear from me all season long is
    To hear you say "no snow" for you, this is what you are going to hear from me all season long-

I enjoyed your TR's last season.