Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Official 2011/2012 "Where are you getting your turns?" thread

ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    Don't worry too much I will play in the snow. There is NO keeping me out of it. It just won't be skiing. Snowshoeing however is free. So look for a few reports on snowshoeing and let me live vicariously through your reports.
    Chere'

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by blueeyes View Post
    Don't worry too much I will play in the snow. There is NO keeping me out of it. It just won't be skiing. Snowshoeing however is free. So look for a few reports on snowshoeing and let me live vicariously through your reports.

Quote Originally Posted by blueeyes View Post
    Don't be too nervous! I skied 6 months after MCL repair and removal of some of the meniscus. Keep your leg muscles strong.
    Keeping your leg muscles strong is the tough, but necessary, part! I had ankle surgery a few years back from to repair an ankle I obliterated in a climbing accident. The surgery was in the middle of September and on December 17th of that year, the surgeon and the physical therapist cleared me to ski. They warned me that even though I was doing PT to strengthen everything, I wouldn't last that long on the hill. I spent a 3 day weekend staying up at the Bird to celebrate. The theme of the weekend ended up being 2-3 runs per day and then end up in the bar! It was amazing how quickly my leg muscles were trashed!

As a side kind of funny (yet sad) story, a buddy of mine in the 2009-2010 season tore his ACL on January 2nd, 2010 skiing at Alta with me, 3rd turn of the day (he is normally a snowboarder, but decided to dust the skis off for a day). He snowboarded on it the rest of the season, of course taking it easy and using a brace. The season of 2010-2011 arrived and he was stoked to rip again. He went to Solitude with his now wife for a mellow day on the slopes. She wanted to try hitting a jump in the park, which she had never done before. My friend decided to be gentlemanly about it and said he would check it out first. On his landing he heard and felt an oh so familiar pop...the other ACL! I got a text from his wife saying that I would never believe what had just happened...and the date? Yup, you guessed it, January 2nd, 2011. He will not be getting out of bed on January 2nd, 2012!

I just noticed that in my post I said MCL I tore the ACL partially tore the MCL and LCL. I swear if I tear another ACL skiing just shoot me where I lay. I would rather have triplets breech then go through ACL repair and rehab again.

I don't blame your friend at all I wouldn't get out of bed on that day either if I tore it twice on the same day a year a part.
    Chere'

Both of my knees are bad. Snowboarding is the answer

I am never turning to the Dark Side.

Mostly because I can never go as fast on a board as I can on skis.... it scares me. and I look reeeediculous on a snowboard and my right hind cheek ends up so bruised after trying I can't sit for a week.
    Chere'

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    Both of my knees are bad. Snowboarding is the answer
    I see more meniscus tears and MCL injuries in snowboarding. Usually from riding Duck. I follow the rule, stance 1" wider than your shoulder with, and straighten up that back leg. I ride a 12/-9 with a 21" stance. Allows for me to drive through turns with my shins rather than my MCL or meniscus. So if you are riding Duck on a snowboard, you are more likely to injure your knees with an equal angle. Takes a bit to get used to riding switch, but I know I can ride a lot harder with less knee stress getting the stance correct.