Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie, soon to be in Ogden

Newbie, soon to be in Ogden

Hello all! First, thanks to mojave geek for telling me about this site.

In January, I'll be transferring to Ogden, and I'm looking forward to enjoying the great outdoors in Utah! My primary interests are road cycling, hiking/peak-bagging, snowshoeing, and four-wheeling.

Right now I'm living overseas, but when I lived in California, I loved visiting the Sierras and the Mojave desert and the Death Valley area in particular.
    My Utah experience includes short visits to Canyonlands, Arches, and Zion NP's. I'll have a good vehicle (4WD Nissan Xterra Offroad with upgrades) so I plan to visit 4WD destinations such as the Maze and Needles districts.

As for cycling, I'm a masochist who likes mountain climbs (though I'm quite slow getting up them). I'll be looking for nice climbs/descents come next cycling season!

I look forward to checking out all the forums and sharing experiences and beta with all of you.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Welcome. You found the right place to get in on the outdoor scene.

ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    You will love it up there! I just moved from Ogden to St. George a about 18 months ago. Good snowshoeing up by Snowbasin. Good climb on your road bike up and over Trappers Loop same road that goes up to Snowbasin, a really nice ride is to leave your car on the side of the road next to Pineview Dam ride around the dam and then up Trappers. If you are a true masochist continue on up to Snowbasin or go on over Trappers to Morgan and turn around and head back.

Chere'
    Chere'

Quote Originally Posted by blueeyes View Post
    You will love it up there! I just moved from Ogden to St. George a about 18 months ago. Good snowshoeing up by Snowbasin. Good climb on your road bike up and over Trappers Loop same road that goes up to Snowbasin, a really nice ride is to leave your car on the side of the road next to Pineview Dam ride around the dam and then up Trappers. If you are a true masochist continue on up to Snowbasin or go on over Trappers to Morgan and turn around and head back.

Chere'
    Thanks for the tip! I see a couple of guidebooks listed on Amazon that I might check out: "Road Biking Utah" and "Bicycling America's Nat'l Parks: Utah and Colorado". I've cycled up in the Rockies before and visited some of the high passes. But I didn't have my bike with me when I travelled through Utah, so cycling out there was added to my to-do list.

Hi Candace.........

I do not know which company you are transferring to. I have only lived here since 12.2004. Moved from SW CT. Yes a big change.

Ogden = O-TOWN, has been being marketed as an outdoor sports MECCA since Snowbasin Ski Resort was used as a 2002 Olympic Venue. There is so much happening here in greater Ogden / Ogden Valley in all aspects of outdoor sports, you will fit right in.

Since it took me a while to find all the outdoor sports venues and groups, I had dedicated my off time doing online marketing to let NEWCOMERS find the web sites that explain OGDEN OUTDOORS.......sooner /faster. Since Ogden is home to companies like AmerSports Winter & Outdoors.........This company's Global HQ are based in Helsinki. Its North American Sales and Marketing are located here in Ogden, in a wonderful retrofitted brick industrial building that was built around 1900 for American Can Company. In another part of the same industrial complex, there is an awesome Climbing gym with about 10,000 sq ft and ceiling height of 20 ft in some areas.

ET

Welcome! Ogden is amazing. I moved here for school and never left. If you really want to punish yourself on your bike, you have to add North Ogden Divide Road (I think it's really called North Ogden Canyon Road, but I've never heard anyone actually call it that) on you list of hills. It's brutal. Also, Monte Cisto and Sardine Canyon (to Logan) are worth mentioning. There's great four-wheeling in the mountains east of Logan. For hiking and peak bagging check out this site: http://www.weberpathways.org/ I recommend the Skyline Trail from North Ogden Divide in particular. The trails here are excellent and very accessible.

ET...Good to hear about all the outdoor opportunities around there!

DRobb...thanks for the beta. I absolutely can't wait until next cycling season!

Update: I'm in Utah now, looking for a place to live. Trying to decide if I should stick close to Hill (where I'll be working) or live up in Ogden.

The Clearfield, Clinton, and Roy areas are nice places to live, close enough to bigger cities like Layton, Riverdale and Ogden, but not busy nor full of traffic. They are close to the freeway too.

Feel free to private message me concerning your budget, no I'm not a realtor. Lol. But I could point you to some areas with a fitting budget.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

What's ADR6300?
    "Always look at the bright side of life"

ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KapitanSparrow View Post
    What's ADR6300?
    That would be his Incredible Android.
    Chere'

Quote Originally Posted by KapitanSparrow View Post
    What's ADR6300?
    oops I need to edit my signature on that one

There, how's this? Lol

Posted via Tapatapatapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    The Clearfield, Clinton, and Roy areas are nice places to live, close enough to bigger cities like Layton, Riverdale and Ogden, but not busy nor full of traffic. They are close to the freeway too.

Feel free to private message me concerning your budget, no I'm not a realtor. Lol. But I could point you to some areas with a fitting budget.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk
    Thanks for the offer. I already settled on a apt. in Layton. Selling points were the quiet location in general; many places to eat nearby, when I'm too lazy to cook, hehe; near but not too near I-15; no pet rent; and they provide a full size washer/dryer in the unit (seems to be rare around here). So my house-hunting is ahead of schedule and under budget!

Find a place to live in Roy, Riverdale or S Ogden, if you do not want to live in Ogden. When the North Gate into Hill gets completed, you will be able to get to work very fast, and still live closer to all that is going on in O-TOWN.

As many on here know, O-TOWN / SNOWBASIN..........just finished a week of:

WINTER DEW TOUR 2012 SNOWBASIN / MAC MILLER CONCERT

http://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid...2&ix=hea&ion=1

As per before, I did a lot of online SMM, for both the DEW TOUR and the MAC MILLER CONCERT. 2 O-TOWN based, aggregate digital platforms that will give you lots of links to and insight into O-TOWN are:

OGDEN OUTDOOR ADVENTURE.com
    http://ogdenoutdooradventure.com/201...k-devin-logan/

&

INDIE OGDEN UTAH.com
    http://indieogdenutah.com/

Both .coms and their additional digital platforms (FB, Flickr, etc.) will give you an overall of how much fun it is to live in O-TOWN. Lots going on here. If you find a place to live that is half way between HILL and downtown O-TOWN, you will find it easy to get into O-TOWN after work. ALSO........RENT first. Then buy.

PS.......if you live north of RT 84, as it comes down from Weber Canyon, the air quality is much better. SLC has horrendous air pollution. The WIND sweeping down RT 84 as it cuts through Weber Canyon clears out the polluted air that is S of RT 84 and Weber Canyon. S Ogden has some areas that are next to the Adams Parkway Toll road, which gets you onto RT 15 and N Gate of Hill. Check it out.

Good luck and keep posting on this link, if you need more

Hahaha. Read you comment above AFTER I posted above.

Here is one more site that is fun to use to find people to HIKE with and other outdoors activities:
    WEBER COUNTY OUTDOORS MEETUP
    http://www.meetup.com/webercountyoutdoors/

Look on MEETUP and you will find 2-3 other groups that host hikes, snowshoe outings, etc: DAVIS COUNTY Hiking and Outdoors Group (most outings in Davis our Weber Counties); Wasatch Hiking and Outdoors Group on MEETUP.......along the Wasatch, from SLC to Weber County.

Quote Originally Posted by ELEANOR THOMPSON View Post
    Hahaha. Read you comment above AFTER I posted above.

Here is one more site that is fun to use to find people to HIKE with and other outdoors activities:
    WEBER COUNTY OUTDOORS MEETUP
    http://www.meetup.com/webercountyoutdoors/

Look on MEETUP and you will find 2-3 other groups that host hikes, snowshoe outings, etc: DAVIS COUNTY Hiking and Outdoors Group (most outings in Davis our Weber Counties); Wasatch Hiking and Outdoors Group on MEETUP.......along the Wasatch, from SLC to Weber County.
    I forgot about Meetup, thx for reminding me. Sorry you were a little late with the location advice. But if I decide I don't like the area I'm in, the info may come in handy after my lease expires. :)

Well, I work on base also but live up in the Ogden Valley. Being up here puts me right in the middle of prime "play" area. I mainly road bike due to knees trashed from too many running miles and 20+ years in the Army doing stupid things like jumping out of perfectly good airplanes. Lots of great riding roads up here with limited traffic and several decent climbs. Oh, and I suck at getting up the hills fast also. Still according to the weather/road conditions there are four road descents available and a lot more if you mountain bike. You can get lots of miles in without ever leaving the valley. So much better than dealing with all the traffic over where you are currently at...

I moved back to the area in 2005 with the only goal being living up here in the valley to enjoy all the great outdoor experiences available. Rent/purchases are more expensive up here and there are limited businesses but if outdoor recreation is prime to you the area can't be beat. Just think of the area as part of a healthy lifestyle as the only fast food type place available is a Subway...

JAMES DAK..........Loved reading your comment. OV is my fav place to recreate, even through I do not live there. I expect that once Candance gets to know OV, she will love it too, in all 4 seasons!!