Thread: AZ Strip Points of Interest

AZ Strip Points of Interest

Hey guys, I'm hoping to go on a short 1 or 2 nighter from St George into the Arizona strip this weekend. I know there is a ton of land out there, and it's a bit overwhelming...there is so much to look at, I'm not sure where to start. My range is probably no more than 60-70 miles from St George, as I'm driving a gas guzzler (by the same token, I can go just about anywhere, on or off road, within that rnage), and I was considering a few spots. I'd appreciate any input as to whether or not these sites are worth visiting, or if there are others nearby that are better. I especially enjoy finding abandoned buildings, caves, mines and things like that.

Seegmuller Mountain - I've heard there are some fun trails here. I know nothing about it.

Mokaac Trail/Mtn - I drove out by here once, and noticed a trail head. Would like to know more about it...

Wolf Hole - Apparently there is a ghost town here, and from an old map I saw, a lake. Also, according to a 1979 USGS map that I found, there is a cave nearby (1-2 miles away). Anybody know anything about this site, and especially the cave?

Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Looks like no one is too familiar with this area, or cares to post about it
    Regardless, I took a short trip out to the strip this friday and saturday. It was a fun trip...I climbed Mt Trumbull and then drove out to the Colorado River overlook in Whitmore Canyon.

Whitmore Canyon CO River Overlook Name:  IMG_0113..jpg
Views: 1377
Size:  29.8 KB

View from Top of TrumbullName:  top of trumbull &#40.jpg
Views: 1311
Size:  32.2 KB

Nice pics! Is the first early or late?

Quote Originally Posted by Rob L View Post
    Nice pics! Is the first early or late?
    Thanks, it was late. I got there just before it was getting dark, so unfortunately I couldn't hike down to the river.

ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    Where did you camp? What else is out there?
    Chere'

Quote Originally Posted by blueeyes View Post
    Where did you camp? What else is out there?
    Well, I got a late start friday, so I didn't camp too far from St George. I camped pretty close to the Mokaac Trailhead, which is about 20-25 miles from St George, a long way from Mt Trumbull and Whitmore Canyon. As far as what else I personally saw, I didn't see much else. I took the Main Street route all the way from St George, and along the way there were a few ranches and homes, as well as a few abandoned buildings, like this one...

Name:  along main stree&#11.jpg
Views: 2379
Size:  61.7 KB

As I drove through Wolf Hole valley, I looked for the 'lake' that was on my BLM map, as well as the abandoned building that marked the site of the settlement of Wolf Hole. I found neither, although according to my map I was right near by both. It's hard for me to imagine that a lake even exists out in this part of the strip...Most of the drive is just desert and pinyon/juniper forest.

There is a restored schoolhouse in the 'town' of Mount Trumbull, which was interesting to look at.

Name:  IMG_0081..jpg
Views: 1239
Size:  63.7 KB

I was pretty short on time, so I didn't get a chance to explore much else, but from what I hear there is a lot in the area. Not too far from Mount Trumbull is Tuweep, Parashant Canyon, Mount Logan, some rock art and the ruins of an indian pueblo. This picture might help answer your question:

Name:  IMG_0086..jpg
Views: 1287
Size:  122.8 KB

Thx! We may have to explore.
    Chere'

Sure! I should mention that you'll need a pretty off-road worthy vehicle to get to Whitmore Canyon. A lot of the road there is very rocky, and there are a few parts where you might need 4wd

I have a little Subaru. But after my last incident getting it stuck I will behave myself. Maybe
    Chere'

Great pics and report Brian. I have wanted to get out there for a while but wasn't sure what to expect. Looks like you could do a bit of exploring of the old settlement areas of the Bundy's.