Thread: Angel Slot, Dirty Devil River Area, Sunday 10/02/2011

Angel Slot, Dirty Devil River Area, Sunday 10/02/2011

It can be hard to get days for canyoneering. Sometimes it can only be a day. This is a great slot for a half day adventure. The views overlooking the River and the Roost from the top and along the exit are spectacular. This slot drops into Beaver Creek, a tributary of the Dirty Devil River. Angel slot has a lot to offer in a short distance. The first two rappels are classic and the dark and tight section is just long enough. The top of the optional 90 foot rappel has the coolest ramp for transitioning out to free hang. The entrance hike is short and down hill. The exit hike is only a minor lung popper. This is one of the better Dirty Devil slots around. We headed out of Salt Lake around 4:30 AM. With a minor slow down in the construction zone on I-15 in Provo we were on the trail before 10:00 AM. We took a leisurely pace thru the canyon. The temperature was perfect. It was reasonably dry except for a couple of mud holes and the anchors were in great shape. We took some time building a dead man/rock pile anchor at the top of the optional 90 foot free hang rappel. We had good and strong rock farmers among us. The previous anchor was washed overboard. We were eating dinner at Ray's in Green River by 5:00 PM and home by 10:30 PM. Fabulous Canyon, Fabulous Day!
    Attached Images Attached Images                

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Great TR! Thanks for sharing it.

I always read your TR's. They are some of my favorites.

Nice photos & narrative. A semi-remote area, beautiful, and one we have enjoyed for decades. The last photo? Party looks like they are comfortable? For sketchy or awkward drops we often sit down, slide feet and legs over lip and then roll off the side. Easier on the back & body, smooth transition, party less likely to tip over or swing and rope less likely to slide if someone does bounce around. But styles vary....still, I only mention this as I've seen folk swing and hit heads, shoulders, elbows and legs; and seen some folk tip over; and I've seen some ropes cut when a party slips and swings. (please, I'm not suggesting this party was not in control and didn't know what he was doing - that's not my point)

Now you know what his O-face looks like.

Quote Originally Posted by reflection View Post
    The last photo? Party looks like they are comfortable? (please, I'm not suggesting this party was not in control and didn't know what he was doing - that's not my point)
    That's me on one of the clumsiest rappel starts I have ever done on one of the easiest rappels starts that could possibly exist My right foot got stuck in the crack where the rope went over the edge at the same time my left foot slipped a little below. That manuever put me almost upside down. This photo was taken right after I managed to upright myself and pop my right foot loose. I was still in mode.
    Lesson: Even after hundreds of rappels thru many canyons it is so important to stay focused. There is a tendency to get complacent especially on something that looks easy. I was on my toes and highly focused the rest of the canyon.

Where did you find the Beta for the canyon?

Quote Originally Posted by New Mexico View Post
    Where did you find the Beta for the canyon?

Shane Burrows' climb-Utah site

http://climb-utah.com/Powell/angelslot.htm

Dave Pimental's mini-slot guide

http://www.math.utah.edu/~sfolias/mi...s/?i=angelslot

Thanks, I looked there but I guess I didn't know what I was looking for. Nice trip report