Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bogleyfest Nov 10-13 (North Wash Area) REVITALISED

Bogleyfest Nov 10-13 (North Wash Area) REVITALISED

Meet up at Sandthrax campground. I'll be there myself before dark on the 9th; if anyone can bring firewood, that would be great. Cooking stoves too...

Rob

As far as I can tell from the original thread and this one, we have:

agostinone
    remoteman45
    hike.higher
    bowjunkie
    CarpeyBiggs +5
    blueshade (first day and may be more)
    mfshop (now definite...has clearance for final approach from SWMBO)
    Rob L
    Iceaxe & Iceaxe Jr. (Sat. & Sun.)
    ddavis (Deb)
    hikster11
    mrbrejcha (and PBR)
    Utahiker
    kokopelli99 (possible)
    plutacratic77

Apologies for absence recieved from:
    deagol
    (thankyou for the courtesy of letting us know)

From the Utah town of Hanksville drive south on highway 95 for 28 miles. At mile marker 28.3 there is a pull-out and kiosk on the left (east) side of the road. This is what canyoneers refer to as the Sandthrax Campground. Ratagonia reports below that there is a very soft section of sand in the middle.

Camping is primitive. There is no water or toilet. The nearest restroom facilities are located 5 miles south on highway 95 at Hog Springs. Those dropping a duce are highly encouraged to make the drive. Nearest town to supplies or anything else is Hanksville. There is no cell coverage anywhere near Sandthrax.

Canyon Options:
    See CarpeyBiggs' note four posts down.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

There is no way to re-institute the information that was in the first post. But I'm sure it will not be too difficult to gather up the required information.

I will suggest that a group meeting be held every morning at the Sandthrax campsite at 8:00 am (someone can change the time if they wish). At the meeting groups can easily divide up for desired canyons and split the skilled canyoneers up among the various groups as required.

Information for Bogley-fests....

Important! There is no cost for Bogley fest trips, we are just a bunch of friends meeting to do canyons together, this is not a class or a guided trip! If you lack rappelling skills find someone to take you out to practice before the Bogleyfest. In the slot is not the time to learn to rappel. This means you know how to clip in and rappel without help, you do not 'freak-out' on long or awkward rappels, you can at least dog paddle if your route contains water. If you feel you need help in the canyons let someone know.... but ultimately.... YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR OWN SAFETY!

Equipment:
    Everyone is responsible for a harness, one locking biner, and a rappel devise that you know how to use! Helmets are advised, (bicycle helmets work for noobs).

Some routes are wet, and some are dry... its up to you to know the difference and prepare properly. If the route is wet a wetsuit is required. You will also want a dry bag to keep anything you want to stay dry in. If you need equipment post and maybe someone else can help you out.

Canyoneering Gear
    http://climb-utah.com/Misc/gear.htm

Rope: Several folks need to bring ropes.

If you attend these types of events with the goal of meeting fun people, making friendships and descending exciting slots, you will have a great experience. If you are attending these types of events for the reason of ticking specific slots off your to-do list you should probably alter your plans to a private trip you organize yourself.

As a normal rule at these type gatherings.... any plans for who does what routes with whom completely disappears the first morning. I've probably attend 10 or 20 over the years, and organized 6 or 7, and that has always been the case. If I can get my schedule in order I hope to attend this fest.

Anyhoo.... Groups tend to form by who wants to do what canyons, skill levels, friendships, and somewhat on age because those near the same age tend to have the same interests. After the first day most people join a route for the second day based on friendships they have made the first day or around the nightly campfire.

The main item an organizer has to watch out for and protect against is making sure all the talent (skilled canyoneers) don't join into one group and leave the other groups short of talent. When I have organized these type of events in the past I've just asked the talent to spread themselves out and that has been all the actual planning required.

As a general rule everyone gets to descend most of the slots they desire, provided others have the same desire.

I hope no one takes offense to any of this advise, I've just been involved in enough of these rodeos to know what to expect and hope my experience will make yours more enjoyable.

If I've missed anyone, my apologies...if you reply to this thread, I'll edit the first post.

[Thanks, Mods.]

what dates are people hoping to operate? i can likely get there thursday night, if people want to do canyons on friday. i'll bring a two burner propane stove and big propane tank. i've also got a variety of rope lengths, up to 200 feet i'll bring. as a side note, helmets are mandatory in my groups...

i'm up for canyons friday, saturday, sunday. i'd like to do shenanigans on sunday, if we can get a small competent (and skinny) group together.

Canyon Options
    • Morocco
    • the leps
    • monkey b
    • no kidding
    • anything in poison springs
    • hog 1, miss piggy (access sounds like it is going to be questionable though)
    • shenanny
    • black hole (if people are prepared for it, will be COLD)
    • woody (most likely require wetsuits this time of year)

I'd like to sign up for this fest. I can get there Thursday afternoon - maybe sooner if I can get off work. Be there until Sunday. I've got the standard 2-burner stove with small propane bottles.
    Deb

I'm planning on attending. I would be coming Thursday night through Sunday.

Freezefest lite, eh?

-Brejcha and PBR

Quote Originally Posted by mrbrejcha View Post
    Freezefest lite, eh?

-Brejcha and PBR
    hopefully with more alcohol, less canyons, and more shit blowin' up... bring your grease and PBR dood.

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeyBiggs View Post
    hopefully with more alcohol, less canyons, and more shit blowin' up... bring your grease and PBR dood.
    Now I'm really tempted to make it down.

Holy cow, great to hear you're getting out there Brejcha! Awesome! I don't know if I can get to the Bogleyfest but I definitely plan on FF10, stay healthy & see you then,

Cheers,

Wayne

Shane and Dan at the same campsite? How could I miss this potential lovefest?!?

I might be game for a post work Friday night departure from Sandy, Ut. If so, be game to car pool, come home Sunday night (diversion to Ray's in GR for dinner?).

So, done only the easier Hog and Lep. What else is great, not too skinny, fun, scenic, and should be on my hit list? How are the other Lep forks?

Hmmm...

I will try and get there late Thursday, (midnightish, the party still be going?) for canyons Friday and Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian in SLC View Post
    Shane and Dan at the same campsite? How could I miss this potential lovefest?!?
    don't worry, we will be united in our common interests... bashing the ACA.

So, done only the easier Hog and Lep. What else is great, not too skinny, fun, scenic, and should be on my hit list? How are the other Lep forks?

Hmmm...
    the other leps are.... west is boring. middle is really good, but super skinny. not sure you'd enjoy that. you might dig no kidding? lots of rappin' off sandtraps in there. it's fun though. monkey business is probably a good choice. morocco isn't too skinny either, but it's really short and lots of shorter raps. woody could be fun, but it will be wet, almost certainly.

the other leps are.... west is boring. middle is really good, but super skinny. not sure you'd enjoy that. you might dig no kidding? lots of rappin' off sandtraps in there. it's fun though. monkey business is probably a good choice. morocco isn't too skinny either, but it's really short and lots of shorter raps. woody could be fun, but it will be wet, almost certainly.
    Good info, thanks!

Middle Lep looks neat. Just wouldn't want something "too skinny" for too long. Ugh, I hate the thought of gettin' stuck.

What about the Maidenwater/Trachyte stuff? Witches Cauldron (surfin' through beta online...ha ha).

Woody might be nice. Don't mind wearin' a wetsuit.

Ducket? Constrychnine?

Good stuff.

you'd likely be fine in any of the poison springs stuff - constrychnine is my favorite of the lot.

witches cauldron IS cool... (same as trachyotomy right?) but it's got a super tight stemming section that's like 100 feet long? it's very difficult at your size, is my guess. probably not a place for beginners, though you'd likely be fine (but it would be hard). i personally don't like the maidenwaters... boring chockstone drops that repeat over and over. and they will likely be wet. same with trail. but trail is excellent even with the swim.

duckett is pretty decent. also wet, and also quite a drive from sandthrax.

forgot, witches cauldron is possibly not accessible right now. word is that that hog springs road is washed out. it was really bad last year too, so if it hasn't been bladed, it's probably a no go. but i haven't been to NW since freezefest.

My timing is bad with these fall fests. The October one collided with work and marathon training. The 11/5 one with the NY marathon. Now I've already made plans to snag a quick trip next weekend with small group of friends, but at least we'll be getting out into the canyons! Sure would have liked to join y'all though... Maybe in the spring?
    It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life. - Ten Bears, "The Outlaw Josie Wales"

you'd likely be fine in any of the poison springs stuff - constrychnine is my favorite of the lot.
    Not bashing on your favorites, just curious what it is about constrychnine you like? To me that slot seemed like a long rappel followed by a stroll through a short slot. Not much meat on the bone, but its been a while since I did it last.

FYI: my favorite Poison Spring slot is Arscenic, closely followed by Slideanide.

don't worry, we will be united in our common interests... bashing the ACA.

I can't wait to read Rich's updated version of "Unabashed ACA History" where he details how he single handedly managed to unite the canyoneering community in 2011.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    Not bashing on your favorites, just curious what it is about constrychnine you like? To me that slot seemed like a long rappel followed by a stroll through a short slot. Not much meat on the bone, but its been a while since I did it last.

FYI: my favorite Poison Spring slot is Arscenic, closely followed by Slideanide.
    hmm... now i need to look at a map. i haven't done any of the poison springs canyons since 2008. it's very possible i'm confusing arscenic and constrychnine.

which one had the piton in it again?