Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sterling rope ats

sterling rope ats

Amazon has their red ats on sale for 23.99. Not a bad deal and if you order more than $25 of stuff from amazon you get the free shipping too. Here's the link
    http://www.amazon.com/Sterling-Rope-...9054553&sr=8-1
    - Gavin

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Already own one...and love it. Got mine at the OR show for $20.

Clicked on the link just to check it out. I also noticed that the red one says "ships in 1-2 months." Guess it is good winter is on its way???

Quote Originally Posted by ghawk View Post
    Amazon has their red ats on sale for 23.99. Not a bad deal and if you order more than $25 of stuff from amazon you get the free shipping too. Here's the link
    http://www.amazon.com/Sterling-Rope-...9054553&sr=8-1
    Thanks for the link. Just order one.

Same here. I want to try it.
    "I approach nature with a certain surly ill-will, daring Her to make trouble"

-Edward Abbey

And me - just ordered one. Looking forward to it...

It's worth it. I've had this device since the beginning of the summer and I've used it in a number of situations. It's awesome! provides plenty of friction, and has a lot of options for adding friction on the fly, as well as locking off.
    --Cliff

I've taken mine on 3-4 trips now and like it a lot. Prior to this device I used an ATC and going back to a figure 8 style device took a bit of getting used to.

I only have two issues with it that I will be able to live with.

1. Like a figure 8 it tends to twist ropes.

2. It's very stiff on the biner when not in use and makes it a bit awkward to carry on the harness. It's like the biner and device are one long awkward unit.

Positives far outweigh the negatives.

1 Friction adjustment on the fly is easy.
    2 Tying off is very secure and easy.
    3 Can be used as an autoblock when ascending capturing progress.
    4 Easy and safe swimming disconnects without worrying about dropping your device.
    5 very light.

I'm sold and will probably get another one when this one wears out.

Quote Originally Posted by Bshelton View Post
    3 Can be used as an autoblock when ascending capturing progress.
    How do you use the ATS to capture progress when ascending? Is this something that is specific to this device? Or can it be donr with other figure 8 style devices like the totem?

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MrAdam View Post
    How do you use the ATS to capture progress when ascending? Is this something that is specific to this device? Or can it be donr with other figure 8 style devices like the totem?
    you can do it with other 8 style devices. I find it inefficient and much better and quicker ways to ascend that every canyoneer (or group leader) should be carrying anyways.

so has anyone used the stitch plate to rap with. it looks so awkward with the curved device & slots

I like my ATS and have used it a bit for canyons. Nice on a fat rope, to be sure. I like that it has "horns" on either side of it, and, its kinda symmetrical that way.

The progress capture feature is nice to have, in a pinch (the "Gi Gi"-esque slots). Video shows a great way to use them, by, eatin' the whole biner over the ATS device rather than having a carabiner on the outside, which, could flip and leave you not hanging, so to speak...

Quote Originally Posted by trackrunner View Post
    you can do it with other 8 style devices. I find it inefficient and much better and quicker ways to ascend that every canyoneer (or group leader) should be carrying anyways.
    Such as???

Quote Originally Posted by tcott View Post
    Such as???
    well if you have ask perhaps your group doesn't carry any or your not the group leader carrying ascending gear . . .

IMO tiblocs, ropeman, handled ascenders are all faster to ascend any significant height. IMO friction hitches are slightly faster & I hate ascending with friction hitches. YMMV

well if you have ask perhaps your group doesn't carry any or your not the group leader carrying ascending gear . . .

IMO tiblocs, ropeman, handled ascenders are all faster to ascend any significant height. IMO friction hitches are slightly faster & I hate ascending with friction hitches. YMMV
    I agree with this and what you said before. I've tried to ascend with my ATS, and maybe I just suck at it, but I did not find it particularly effective, especially where there are equally easy ways to ascend ropes. Those ascenders listed do work great, and while friction hitches suck, I have found them to be more effective than ascending with my ATS. I just use the device for rappelling, and it's awesome for that.
    --Cliff

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar

Support.

Also, a figure-8 style progress capture only works when the rope has a certain amount of suppleness. Last time I used it, on a 150 foot ascend, it worked fine for the first 80 feet, then the rope got stiffer (dirtier), and it did not work (ie, would not progress) causing rather a large amount of cursing.

Tom

Have you tried ascending with it like this? If you are freehanging and need a footloop you can clip it to the same biner as the pulley. I found it a lot easier than using handle ascenders, haven't tried tiblocs yet.
    Name:  ats_ascending..jpg
Views: 1909
Size:  16.5 KB

I use a similar set up as shown in the picture.

Ascending has not been one of my strong suits, but after a recent trip with Scott P to Goblin Valley I've made learning different techniques and using different tools a priority. I found this set up works well for me. I've only used it up to about 40' free hanging so I can't speak to higher climbs as Tom mentioned. Using the pulley ads another piece to deal with and carry but I imaging it also resolves any issue with stiff or dirty rope.

I haven't used a tibloc or ropeman but I do prefer this over using two ascenders as I have in the past.

I will wait until needed to do a 150' (doing it for fun sounds a lot more like work than fun).
    Attached Images Attached Images  

The ropeman, or kong duck in my case, save a lot of bulk and weight over the handle ascender. The pulley takes a significant amount of friction out of the system as well.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tcott View Post
    The ropeman, or kong duck in my case, save a lot of bulk and weight over the handle ascender. The pulley takes a significant amount of friction out of the system as well.
    Perhaps Shane would pull this out as a separate thread - "Ascending the Rope Tricks" or something like that...

T

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    Perhaps Shane would pull this out as a separate thread - "Ascending the Rope Tricks" or something like that...

T
    appears to be relevant since this is about ascending with the ATS