Thread: Furnace/Krill

Furnace/Krill

I was in the furnace this weekend and I cannot believe the beating that the entrance to Krill has taken in the last year. There is a huge social trail being created right thru the middle of the bushes at the base. Most people use to walk along the left side of the bushes against the wall. Not only is the bottom getting beat up but the hill side looks like elephants have been traveling it. In the hallway before you get to the Blimpie rappel it looked a herd of people had been thru there in the last few days. I am afraid that most of these tracks are not canyoneers but hikers just exploring around. The tracks in the hallway were going both directions. The last thing we need with the New Management Plan coming out is a big ugly trail headed right to the start of one of the better routes in the furnace. If you are using Krill please walk along the edge by the wall and not right up the middle. Also when climbing the hill please try to stay on the rocks as much as possible. The guides get kicked out and the place goes to ****.

Mark
    Edit they are no longer allowing kids 5 and under in the furnace. They are still asking if you are taking ropes and what route you are planning doing.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks for the report. That's a bummer. This route has been taking a beating for a few years now. The more that prints appear up the hill, the more wanders (hikers as you've suggested -- not canyoneers) have been drawn to see what the prints are all about. Now that the 'elephants' have surmounted the hill, a good downpour no longer polishes the edges. Just looks tracked-out all the time now.

Quote Originally Posted by moab mark View Post
    ...Also when climbing the hill please try to stay on the rocks as much as possible...
    Or alternatively...approach descending the fins from the north and skip the hill climb altogether.

I see the allure of this shortcut route when trying for a twofer (say a lomatium-krill combo pack) but approaching the krill fins from above -- descending to these fins from the top of the furnace instead of climbing up directly to it -- not only keeps the route much cleaner but is just a lot more fun too.

Just a thought.

Steve L.

Would any of you keepers of the secret, gnostic knowledge of Lomatium & Krill be willing to meet some isolated canyoneer initiates to the secret cult from Grand Junction and share your mystery insights with a few of us? We can provide all the equipment and dinner. Last time we visited the Fiery Furnace, you could have roamed in unattended & without permit. (Long, long time ago.) We'd love to go back in there and do some actual canyoneering work. We're free the next few Saturday's. From GJ, we can be at the park entrance in about 1:45. Reply by PM if you want.

If you do find someone to take you through, let me know. My wife and I would be glad to carpool down from GJ. The Furnace is a very special place to us and has been for a long time. We have been wanting to become part of the special club aslo for a couple years now. Shane sent out an invite last year when he was going but unfortunately we had plans. Next time that comes up, I will be all over it!