Thread: Bogley Fest 2011 Robbers Roost

Bogley Fest 2011 Robbers Roost

I should have stayed down there since my project is shut down from weather today and the kids are still on fall break. Or is it raining down there?

Anyway, we did Sams Mesa Box Saturday. If you don't do the upper slot (I didn't want to risk it with the kids) it's a long hike for only a short slot (the lower one).

The next day we did the Goblin Slot which far exceeded anyone's expectations. I was expecting it to be just a nice short slot with some interesting gobins. What we found was actually one of the most awesome canyons in all of canyondom. My camera died at the wrong moment, but the others got photographs. The main feature of the slot was incredible (more later) and was extremely spectacular.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I had a great time at the Roost and made some new friends-especially after Larry canyon when they took me up on the shower offer in my trailer. Thanks to John (Wasatch) for starting this thing. Not Mind Bender was as I remembered it - tight and fun. There was a little water but nothing serious. I took a wet suit and since I had it along I wore it and was glad to have had it - saved some skin and maybe a little bruising. Anchors were all good. Larry was MUDDY!!!! Lots of sticky, stinky, nasty mud. It was hilarious to listen to some of the guys gagging in a particularly stinky spot. I've never come out of a canyon so dirty. Anchors were all good in Larry as well. Not much water but when you did encounter it you were glad cause it gave you a chance to get some mud washed off. Both exits seemed shorter to me than the first time done and everybody was extremely happy to see the truck we spotted at the exits before the hikes. No long road walks for this group. Weather was perfect and I had a great time. Looking forward to another Bogley Fest soon. See everybody in November in the North Wash. -Ted

Thanks to Wasatch for setting this up. Had a great time and met some awesome people. Thanks to remoteman45 for letting me shower after Larry canyon and giving our entire group ice cream.
    Looking forward to doing some canyons with some new friends.

Thanks for the goblin slot adventure Scott. I'll get pictures to you later today when I finish the drive home.

I also had a great time at the Roost. Thanks Wasatch for setting it up. I made some new friends in the canyoneering world and hope to do some more canyons with them.
    Thanks Ted for allowing me to shower after the muddy Larry and maybe next time I will take you up on the ice cream offer.

sounds awesome. but this thread is WORTHLESS without pics...

sounds awesome. but this thread is WORTHLESS without pics...
    Agreed. The real trip report (with pics) is coming later. This was just a post on the other thread, but it got moved into its own thread.

Pics and a better report will come soon.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

The reason the goblin slot (our kids want to call it the Chamber of the Basilisk) was so good is that the slot canyon just disappears into a hole in the ground (we didn't expect anything like this). It didn't drop into a crack or a narrow slot, but just a hole. It was kind of intimidating to just look into a deep and dark black hole in the ground since we couldn't see what was down there or if you can get out of it. We lowered a pack down to see if it would hit the bottom with our ropes.

After rappelling 90 feet into the black hole in the ground it opens up into a giant underground chamber. It's maybe 300 feet long and 100 feet wide and high. You don't need a headlamp since there are huge holes in the ceiling (with beams of light spilling in). It's one of the coolest features I've ever seen in a canyon (I hope this isn't spoiling the surprise and giving too much away).

Brad rapped down first (taking ascenders in case the route didn't continue and above we had made sure we could reverse the route if needs be) and shouted up that he would check out "down canyon" and see what there was. After a little while he shouted up for us (anyone who wanted to) to go ahead come down. We were going to send the kids back (with their mom and with me assisting them on the upclimbs), but they really wanted to go down, so we let them (especially since Brad said that after the chamber we could continue down canyon to get out).

Here is a photo of Kessler rapping into the hole. It's hard to get a really good photo since the ceiling is so high and since it's pretty dark in there.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post
    (our kids want to call it the Chamber of the Basilisk)
    I vote for the name your kids want. Chamber of the Basilisk sounds pretty cool. Can't wait for more.
    Deb

Anybody run through No Mans in the Roost? That is on the agenda for this weekend, and we are wondering about conditions. I am not sure if it gets done too often...
    "Human beings were not meant to sit in little cubicles staring at computer screens all day, filling out useless forms and listening to eight different bosses drone on about mission statements"

Peter Gibbons - Office Space

Incredible experience for two rookies from So. Cal! Alcatraz was an amazing introduction into the sport. Never seen anything like it. TIGHT for someone 6ft and 220+ lbs. Blue John was beautiful as well. Thanks for leading Dean.

Yeah, lots of fun in Alcatraz. I will get the pictures up tonight. Which route did you end up doing through Blue John?
    "I approach nature with a certain surly ill-will, daring Her to make trouble"

-Edward Abbey

Through hike down West Fork and out Horseshoe Canyon. Long walk in the sand just like you said, but The Great Gallery was worth it.
    Totally regret not going with you guys on the second day.

It was a chill day. We did Big Spring which was beautiful but short, then ran through High Spur since we were so close. We forked over the $30 for the High Spur campsite in the NRA just because it was open and got us a bit closer for the early morning exit. Never thought I would say that $30 for a completely unimproved campsite was worth it, but it was. Pics tonight.
    "I approach nature with a certain surly ill-will, daring Her to make trouble"

-Edward Abbey