Thread: American Canyoneers - First steps... ?

American Canyoneers - First steps... ?

To get things started I suggest the following.

First, stimulate discussion on what people want to see. Check! That has already started.

Second, focus the discussion onto three points:

- Name of the org
    - Mission statement
    - Nominations for a startup board of directors

Third, we come up with some system where those people interested vote on the above three. The first order of business for the startup board is to draft bylaws (governance documentation). Then they can start focusing on fulfilling the items in the mission statement (aka "building the bureaucracy").

Threads for Name and Mission Statement already have started in this forum.

I suggest we take some time to discuss the above three, and nominate potential names, mission statements (or elements of a mission statement) and BOD members. After some amount of time we can hold some sort of vote. I am not sure how to set up a vote that is honest and inclusive (e.g., bogley membership should not be a requirement to vote, and how do we keep people from casting multiple votes?) so ideas are welcome.

As are other suggestions where to proceed next, of course.

M

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

How about setting up an email address for the new association, presenting a short list of questions to have people vote on / answer, posting the questions on the respective forums. People email in the responses, responses are tallied, and prospective member database is built????

Something like: (answer me these questions 3):

1) What should the organization be named?
    1a)
    2) What are the 3 (top) priorities you think the organization should address?
    2a)
    2b)
    2c)
    3) Name/nominate 3 people who you believe would represent the community well.
    3a)
    3b)
    3c)

-tom(w)
    Last edited by tjwetherell; 10-17-2011 at 08:35 AM. Reason: was: 3 priorities, is: 3 TOP priorities

Quote Originally Posted by mdd View Post
    I am not sure how to set up a vote that is honest and inclusive.
    I have been giving this a little bit of thought... and I'm thinking we need a standardized ballot that can be posted to the different forums. The ballot would be filled out and snail mailed in (any fraud committed through the US mail is a felony) . The ballots would all be opened on a set date at a specific location. Anyone that wants to attend the ballot opening is welcome. The ballot will require enough personal information to verify it is not a multiple ballot. Anyhoo.... just a few ideas I've been kicking around.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    I have been giving this a little bit of thought... and I'm thinking we need a standardized ballot that can be posted to the different forums. The ballot would be filled out and snail mailed in (any fraud committed through the US mail is a felony) . The ballots would all be opened on a set date at a specific location. Anyone that wants to attend the ballot opening is welcome. The ballot will require enough personal information to verify it is not a multiple ballot. Anyhoo.... just a few ideas I've been kicking around.
    Support. I think the ballot has to be done through snail mail as well. We can create a simple pdf form with:name, address, and phone #. These would provide a means of quality control if it was needed. The internet is a platform that just invites and facilitates fraud in too easy a manner.

I also think having a committee of sorts to open them could be a good idea. Not sure how to go about that process....but it can likely be informal considering the situation.

One of the major hangups of this would be making sure we have a large enough population to create a worthwhile election. It seems if it was done right we might be able to use the 3 forums but I am not sure how you actively get the members attention?

Phillip

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mdd View Post
    To get things started I suggest the following.

First, stimulate discussion on what people want to see. Check! That has already started.

Second, focus the discussion onto three points:

- Name of the org
    - Mission statement
    - Nominations for a startup board of directors

Third, we come up with some system where those people interested vote on the above three. The first order of business for the startup board is to draft bylaws (governance documentation). Then they can start focusing on fulfilling the items in the mission statement (aka "building the bureaucracy").

Threads for Name and Mission Statement already have started in this forum.

I suggest we take some time to discuss the above three, and nominate potential names, mission statements (or elements of a mission statement) and BOD members. After some amount of time we can hold some sort of vote. I am not sure how to set up a vote that is honest and inclusive (e.g., bogley membership should not be a requirement to vote, and how do we keep people from casting multiple votes?) so ideas are welcome.

As are other suggestions where to proceed next, of course.

M
    American Canyoneers

I believe we have a name we can mostly get behind. Can we call this done.

Next: Can we "elect by acclamation" an interim board of directors? iBOD?

Next: Find an esquire to incorporate as a 501c3 and start a bank account? I think we need some names put forward for the iBod before it can be incorporated.

Ready to move forward?

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    American Canyoneers
    The name has my support.