Thread: San Rafael Swell/Little Wild Horse Canyon- October 2011

San Rafael Swell/Little Wild Horse Canyon- October 2011

I wanted to make it down to the desert one more time this year before the snow flies, and I have not spent a lot of time in the San Rafael Swell. My friend Muskie has spent a lot of time in these canyons, so we decided to make a last minute trip on Friday down there for some camping and hiking. We got to the T Junction that goes into temple mountain right about sunset, so we headed for the closest site to relax, have a few beverages and get some sleep after the long drive. It was a nice site, a few too many ATV's for me, but I did not care. The night was awesome, stars, big red rock walls, and the moon to boot. Around 11 pm this family drives in with their Camper and truck with ATV's and asks if they can set up shop in the lot next to us. Being neighborly we said that was ok. Around 12:30 we both crashed out. I awoke to the most terrible noise around 4 am- they were running a generator not 50 ft from my tent. Muskie woke up and was pissed! He walked over and turned it off. Thank you Muskie! We finnally got a few more hours of shut eye, then got up. After coffee we overhear those morons saying they were only running the generator so their microwave would have power. Microwave? really? We needless to say bounced to a new spot by 10 am.

We found one of the sweetest spots I have camped in. It was like a huge balcony overlooking the swell. We pitched shop, got some sun, the headed into Little Wild Horse Canyon. This was an awesome hike! The narrows in here are amazing! There is one section that was a bit tricky, but manageable. We just enjoyed being in there and we wandered near to the road that would allow us to make the loop, when we encountered a section that was too dangerous for Muskies dogs. So we turned around at about 3.4 miles to head back to camp. We had a beautiful sunset, and an orange moonrise to compliment the beautiful place we were in. This was a really relaxing trip, lots of photos, and being in a semi-new place for me. Unfortunately this is probably my last trip this year, as the snow flies and my time between work and school is gonna get hectic. Enjoy the photos, stoked to have gotten out one more time.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I forgot to mention, cell service to and from the swell was nil at best. So go prepared, you may not get an emergency call out if you are even driving in to the area on HWY 24. Just a heads up.

Great trip, I have gone to that same generator from hell site often, and yep, often there is someone there who is obnoxious!!!!!! Give it another month and the spot goes back to home sweet home.

Quote Originally Posted by JONBOYLEMON View Post
    Great trip, I have gone to that same generator from hell site often, and yep, often there is someone there who is obnoxious!!!!!! Give it another month and the spot goes back to home sweet home.
    Thanks!

Yeah, it was only a place to hang the hat on Friday night. We always prefer a more primitive site like we had Saturday and Sunday.

There are a ridiculous amount of good camp spots out along the road prior to and past LWH as well where you shouldn't have to deal with neighbors of any kind.

Hey I saw you there, well, at least I remember the dogs! One of you was sitting with the dogs on a ledge just before the two canyons split, maybe that picture was taken there? I love how you make it look like there weren't a gagillion people crawling all over the place. Actually, after the second slot area it really thinned out and was quite nice.

I was there with my son after hiking Halls Creek Narrows on our way back to SLC. Driving to the canyon, I remarked to my son how cool it would be to camp around there - many awesome spots! Still, we saw three tents set up in the parking lot for Little Wild Horse sharing the space with about 30 cars. We couldn't figure that one out!

Great pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by Swamp Thing View Post
    Hey I saw you there, well, at least I remember the dogs! One of you was sitting with the dogs on a ledge just before the two canyons split, maybe that picture was taken there? I love how you make it look like there weren't a gagillion people crawling all over the place. Actually, after the second slot area it really thinned out and was quite nice.

I was there with my son after hiking Halls Creek Narrows on our way back to SLC. Driving to the canyon, I remarked to my son how cool it would be to camp around there - many awesome spots! Still, we saw three tents set up in the parking lot for Little Wild Horse sharing the space with about 30 cars. We couldn't figure that one out!

Great pictures.
    Thanks!

Where that pic was taken was where you had to step over a log in the very first narrow part of that canyon. His dogs were thirsty, so he stopped to give them some water. He is such a good dog owner. At Temple Mountain on Friday night, there is a 6 ft hole in the campground, and his dog fell in the hole. The dog was miraculously not hurt, but it did give us a scare for a minute.

I just waited till a group would pass then shot my photos. That is why you don't see anyone but the candid pics I shot along the way. There was a wilderness rehab group of girls that were just past the very narrowest part of LWH. After we passed them we had the place all to ourselves. It was awesome. Fall was really bursting up top, and it was so quiet up there. coming out of there at sunset is an experience I will never forget. Gonna have to go back to the Swell, kind of a new favorite place for sure. Not the norm for me as you all know. Awesome- Good Times!

Yep, saw you at the entrance as we were coming out, and the girls too. You must have seen the couple with the 2-year old who was motoring around like he owned the place - amazing to me!

Quote Originally Posted by Swamp Thing View Post
    Yep, saw you at the entrance as we were coming out, and the girls too. You must have seen the couple with the 2-year old who was motoring around like he owned the place - amazing to me!
    Yes, I do remember now. Pretty adventurous for a 2 yr old!

You got some great pix. It is very scenic down there and I always fill my camera.

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca View Post
    You got some great pix. It is very scenic down there and I always fill my camera.
    Thanks accadacca!

Yeah, it was a fun trip. Just nice to get out one more time before we take the plunge into winter.

THX.
    Great TR, beautiful pictures and a non crowded LWHC.

Thanks zzyzx!

There were people as to be expected down there, we just saw the majority of them heading out as we were heading in, I think that and the time of day and year helped us have a more solitary experience down there. It was an awesome hike, gonna have to go back, so much more in there to explore.

Just got back from LWH. Stayed just down the road from the Dr's spot. We rolled in @ midnight Wednesday and I was done, so we pulled into the 1st spot on the right.

Kids loved it. Did LWH starting @ 4:40 ish and met a few people coming out and then we had the place to ourselves up top and come out @ sunset to an empty lot. There were a few people camping in the lower lot, but no one else around.

Wednesday night we saw no signs of life in the entire valley. Was great!!!

The kids loved riding their bikes up and down the dirt roads and climbing up the mountain to the cliffs.

We also did Wildhorse window. It was worth the trip alone just to see the lush and well vegetated area just below the window! WOW its is very green still down there.

Quote Originally Posted by JONBOYLEMON View Post
    Just got back from LWH. Stayed just down the road from the Dr's spot. We rolled in @ midnight Wednesday and I was done, so we pulled into the 1st spot on the right.

Kids loved it. Did LWH starting @ 4:40 ish and met a few people coming out and then we had the place to ourselves up top and come out @ sunset to an empty lot. There were a few people camping in the lower lot, but no one else around.

Wednesday night we saw no signs of life in the entire valley. Was great!!!

The kids loved riding their bikes up and down the dirt roads and climbing up the mountain to the cliffs.

We also did Wildhorse window. It was worth the trip alone just to see the lush and well vegetated area just below the window! WOW its is very green still down there.
    Awesome! Glad you guys had a great time down there. It is really on my favs list now.

My friend Muskie shot this pic of me on his camera, gives you kind of a scale idea of what the spooky fun sections looked like:

Name:  321104_266412603401&.jpg
Views: 1236
Size:  68.5 KB

I enjoyed your TR! Our family took our first trip through LWH in mid Sept. and my kids still talk about it.

Thanks Dr. Nebz!

Quote Originally Posted by Sandstone Addiction View Post
    I enjoyed your TR! Our family took our first trip through LWH in mid Sept. and my kids still talk about it.

Thanks Dr. Nebz!
    Thanks! Yeah I am going to have to take the family down there. It was an awesome place, gonna be on the destination list for sure again next year!