Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Name - American Canyoneers

Name - American Canyoneers

It would be nice if we had a name, even if it was only a working title so we have something to reference to.

I know there are some cleaver folks around here when it comes to things like names?

Suggestions?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

USCA... United States Canyoneering Association

US Canyoneering Club

American Canyoneering Club
    Life is Good

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    one I thought up in my head but I believe was also conceived & first publicly posted by tom was Canyon Access Coalition.

if we want to keep picking on canoeist with our acronym (American Canoe Association same as American Canyonering Association (now Academy)) could go with United States Canyoneering Association USCA which is the same as United States Canoe Association.

A question in helping deciding a name is what is the jurisdiction this organization should focus on, or where its interested & motivated forming members are from. Just the US, Canada, Mexico, Costa Rica or the rest of North America & Caribbean.

could unilaterally rename the sport something like gorging . . . yeah I still don't think that was a good idea

or maybe the Hike with Ropes Club of America

canyoneersRus
    But if I agreed with you, we would both be wrong.

I vote for AAAC (Awesome Association of American Canyoneers).
    --Cliff

I would suggest that only names with a .com domain available should be considered. I know this limits the name availability considerably, but it sure makes things easier from a marketing standpoint.

Quote Originally Posted by trackrunner View Post
    one I thought up in my head but I believe was also conceived & first publicly posted by tom was Canyon Access Coalition.
    canyonaccess.com is available. I don't know if I love the acronym though.

United Canyoneers Association

Association of Canyoneers

Association of United Canyoneers

I like the word coalition as well:

United Canyoneering Coalition
    Some people "go" through life and other people "grow" through life. -Robert Holden

Blog Entries
    US Canyoneering Coalition (USCC)
    US Canyoneering Association (USCA)

personally, the name 'club' sounds too much like a grotto. It's connotation, to me, involves secrecy or withholding information. I don't like that at all.

Canyon Access Coalition, says to me that we only fight for "access' and that's it. Nothing more. Regardless of it's true or not. If that's what the group wants than I'll stand behind it.

I would suggest the national org be, for the time being, only concerned about the United States. It can evolve over time to include Mexico, and Europe, of course. That way, if expansion is necessary, then a international organization could be created (ambitious, of course) called the World or International Canyoneering Association, and under it would adapt the USCA chapter, then Mexico CA chapter, etc.

And perhaps, if this organization does exist, then it could create a template or pattern, so other countries who would like to have the "same" canyoneering association can adopt it as well. Which could include the template for certifying, education, workshops, rendezvous, etc.

That way, every country (if they want a canyoneering association) could all be standardized, and everyone teaching the exact same thing. Besides, and for emphasis, the number 1 goal I believe of the new organization should be #1 safety of the canyoneer which implies education and training.

And perhaps costs to help fund this association, can be similar to what PADI (scuba-diving) does. You don't have to pay PADI the dues to scuba-dive, however, if you would like to see PADI expand, then all they ask is $25/year. I don't think $25 is too much to ask for most people ($2/month). If you think about patterning off PADI - there are almost limitless ideas on how to grow and expand the new organization.

Anyways, I went way off track on that one and this thread - but those were more ideas we had.
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

I'm against "club" in the name as that is a social organization, and I hope this does not become just anther social organization.

Outside of that I like several of the suggestions.

Food for thought… Alliance and Federation can be substituted for association or coalition.

I'd like to avoid limiting ourselves geographically in the name.
    Some people "go" through life and other people "grow" through life. -Robert Holden

Bogley BigShot
    Quote Originally Posted by shagdeuce View Post
    I would suggest that only names with a .com domain available should be considered. I know this limits the name availability considerably, but it sure makes things easier from a marketing standpoint.
    Excellent point!

Is there a reason that US, American or anything like that really needs to be in the name?

Canyoneering is popular but not universal. Perhaps Canyons is better.

Canyonsanything.org

my question about location was if any of the regular resident Canadian posters here who go canyoneering in Canada would be interested in one organization. Not sure if there is enough interest or the rest of North America & Caribbean. It should be determined by residents of those countries if they want to participate.

I'm against an organization outside those boundaries since there are organizations in Europe, Australia, New Zealand, Japan, Nepal, etc.

Perhaps some of those names may help in forming a name choice. Italian Canyoning Association, German canyoning association, Aqualemon Canyoning (regional? French), Japan Canyoning Association, Nepal Canyoning Association.

suggestion Federation of American Canyoneers or American Federation of Canyoneers

Quote Originally Posted by shagdeuce View Post
    why not .org? gives the impression of an organization rather than a commercial company.

canyoneering dot org is for sale for $3500 if anyone wants to buy it for the new organization. Or, it could just be a variation of that for $10ish. That probably makes more sense.

Bogley BigShot
    How about canyons.org

@travis curious about what you or Darren think about some of these subjects on a new association

Wet&WildCanyons.org. The traffic would get a lot of traffic
    Or the association formerly know as RC's club?
    Seriously: not a club
    Canyoneering Coalition of America sounds good.
    US Canyoneering coalition

Quote Originally Posted by trackrunner View Post
    why not .org? gives the impression of an organization rather than a commercial company.
    Agreed. .org would be acceptable; you are still going to lose a bit of traffic to the .com extension, but like you say .org might reinforce the non-profit status.

CanyonFed.com, CanyonFederation.com, CanyonFed.org, and CanyonFederation.org are all available. Federation seems a little bit "star trek" formal to me, but may be a good name if there are sub-chapters within the organization.

Visitors found this page by searching for:

Outdoor Forum