Thread: Trail from Blanding to Lake Powell

Trail from Blanding to Lake Powell

Hello everyone, I am new to this forum and I was looking for some info. I have spent some time in Utah doing some day hikes. I am currently living in the awesome state of Oregon, love it. I was wanting to do a hike with my dad from Blanding to Lake Powell and was wandering if anyone has done this, if there is a trail, or if this is even possible. Well everything is possible. We prefer a way that is less technical but still adventurous. Let me know if you have some info. We are planning on doing it next year in October. thank you and I look forward getting to know you and share some adventures.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

You could follow the Hole-in-the-Rock route from Bluff to Lake Powell
    Randy Langstraat
    ADVENTR.CO | Anasazi Photography

That's my kinda hike!

Definitely doable -- if you are comfortable with off-trail travel.

Last year I hiked from Escalante to (almost) Monticello. Back in 2007 I hiked from Horseshoe Canyon to (almost) Blanding (Comb Ridge road-cut). So I've covered most of what you want to do (I think.)

So... what part of Lake Powell is your goal? Do you have any other must-sees along the way?

First blush I'd say... up into the Abajos, plenty of trails and backroads to get you over to Dark Canyon system. Exit Sundance Trail and roadwalk to Hite Area. I followed the north shore of the lake here to Tracyhte Creek and then went up to to the Henrys and to Capitol Reef (actually I did this W-E, but the plan is the same.) Alternate routes could likely keep you closer to the lake.

October should be a nice time of year -- though somewhat unpredictible.

And... welcome to Bogley!

- Jamal

Quote Originally Posted by IntrepidXJ View Post
    You could follow the Hole-in-the-Rock route from Bluff to Lake Powell
    That's the route I would use, but I'd do it Lake Powell to Bluff for two reasons. That's the direction the Pioneers traveled. And the logitics are easier in that its easier to get someone to boat you to the Hole-in-the-Rock crossing than it is to get someone to pick you up at that point.

You don't want to do the route from Hole-in-the-Rock Road because you would still be forced to cross lake Powell. Swimming the lake at that point, even with a PFD, would be very dangerous because of all the boat traffic. Ad a small raft would also prove problematic for various reasons.

Jammer, did you follow a trail, where did you get your maps? No part of Lake powell in particular just a spot where we can be picked up after the hike or dropped off if you think starting at lake powell would be better. we don't have anything in particular to pass by on the way. we want to just get out and enjoy the state. i am from oregon but have spent some time in souther utah but just seeing stuff from the highways. we want to get deep into the off highway spots. thanks for the reply.

Iecaxe, the lake powell to bluff route, is there a trail or a map of this available?

I believe a lot of the information you are looking for, including maps, will be found here:

http://www.hirf.org/trail-maps.asp

I have not been over the entire route, just many parts of it while completing other adventures. Some of the route is just a trail, some is jeep road, some is a paved highway and some I have no clue about.

Iceaxe, from your limited experience of this trail, what is the bettery part of the trail, west of lake powell towards escalante or east of lake powell heading towards bluff

East of Lake Powell to Bluff. You can drive the trail called "Hole in the Rock Road" from Escalante to Lake Powell in a stock 4x4 (a good portion of it in a family car). Lake Powell to Bluff crosses right through the center of Cedar Mesa which is an amazing place.

But if it were me and I was looking for a big time adventure I'd do something like a full Grand Gulch. But that's just me...

>we want to just get out and enjoy the state

Heya -- if that really is your main goal, I'd suggest looking into some other areas. A hike from Blanding to Lake Powell would be a good hike, but you'd likely get more bang for your buck in other areas. Like Iceaxe mentioned, Grand Gulch could make for a long hike -- or Dark Canyon, The Needles + Salt Creek, Escalante Complex, etc. Blanding to LP would really be geared to someone who enjoys thru-hikes and thus willing to endure some off-trail travel and navigation, some road walks and some less-than-spectacular scenery. Many thru-hikers will explain this is the price you pay for such an adventure.

Things that you should consider before taking on any big hike: how much time off do I have? what is my experience level and those who will be with me? what gear will I need? what are my priorities (eg scenery, difficulty, good camps, solitude, water access, etc.)

Why did you pick Blanding to Lake Powell? See how that meshes with the answers above and then the group here can probably help you quite a bit more.

- Jamal

Jamal, we mainly want to get the most out of our time. we are looking to spend 5 days on a trail. My dad is retired marines and has lot of experience and I have been on some long hikes. We are a little new to utah as far a overnight hiking. so i guess after all said and done we want a hike with a little challenge but mostly scenery scenery and more scenery. we have gear for hiking but no gear for repelling. so i will take suggestions on your favorite hike in southern utah. we a jeep if necessary to get a trail. by the way i love you website, awesome pics. i just bought a nikon 5100 and want to use it to caption some awesome pics. thanks again for the input.