Thread: 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Axel

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Axel

I am working on my daughter's 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The rear end was making a growling noise, it has been pulled apart and bearings and clutch pack in the diff has been replaced. I am in the process on cleaning the axel tubes can I can put it back together again and have noticed a small round metal piece in the top of the tube about 3/4 of the way down on the top of the lt tube. I have been told there isn't supposed to be anything in the tube. Someone else told me it could be a vent. it's a Dana 44 HD, any help would be greatly appreciated

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

It's a vent....there is usually a hose attached to it on the outside so that water won't get in
    Randy Langstraat
    ADVENTR.CO | Anasazi Photography

I second Intrepidxj.. tis a vent.. if there isn't a hose attached to it.. get one attached to it and route it up as high as you can so you don't suck water into the axle :)
    Tacoma Said - If Scott he asks you to go on a hike, ask careful questions like "Is it going to be on a trail?" "What are the chances it will kill me?" etc. Maybe "Will there be sack-biting ants along the way?"

What was the condition of the gear lube when you drained it? Was it clear or milky white? Was there any metal filings in the bottom of the case?

Like everyone said, it's a vent tube. There should be a rubber hose that was connected to it and should be run up towards the floor of the ZJ. It will have a plastic valve at the end. If there is no rubber tube attached to it, it is possible water can get in there and become a problem. Easy fix, just grab the correct diameter tube and extend it up and away.