Thread: Hwy 14 Landslide

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Wow indeed. More at the Spectrum:

Josh Huntsman

Zoom

The Utah Department of Transportation closed state Route 14 eight miles east of Cedar City following a landslide early Saturday morning to address safety concerns and assess repair options. The road closure extends from milepost 8 to the junction of state Route 148. The slide destroyed approximately 800 feet of the road. / Photo courtesy of Robert Heaton

Zoom

CEDAR CITY - The estimated time for state Route 14 to reopen after a landslide Saturday has been extended from weeks to months after initial studies have shown the magnitude of the damage.
    Kevin Kitchen, public involvement manager for Region Four of the Utah Department of Transportation, said the landslide moved approximately 1.5 million cubic yards of material, ruining about 1,700 feet of road. It will take at least three to four months before SR-14 is open to the public.

I have a cabin up on Cedar Mountain and I'm thinking-- from previous experience seeing road crews work on that road-- that this will be at least a year. I can't imagine this being fixed in weeks or months.
    --
    Matthew

"If your knees aren't green by the end of the day, you ought to seriously reexamine your life."

the 4 week timeframe was a joke. 4 months seems unlikely considering the winter climate and correlated construction issues. I would guess mid-summer.

At the same time, it seems a good opportunity to finally do it right. I have no idea how they will find a permanent fix to such unstable soils. Tunnel?

Whoah! That's a mess!