Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: iPhone 4S CPU Clocked At 800MHz Is 73% Faster Than iPhone 4, Twice As Fast As Android

iPhone 4S CPU Clocked At 800MHz Is 73% Faster Than iPhone 4, Twice As Fast As Android

iPhone 4S CPU Clocked At 800MHz Is 73% Faster Than iPhone 4, Twice As Fast As Galaxy S II, And All Other Android Phones

redmondpie.com - According to benchmark results posted earlier today, the iPhone 4S is the fastest smartphone – both in general and graphical performance – in the world, beating superphones like Samsung Galaxy S II and Motorola Bionic.

The news comes from AnandTech – an online computer hardware magazine which is known especially for extensive, in-depth reviews – in a post where they discuss different benchmark scores of the iPhone 4S and compare them with competitors from the Android camp.

We were expecting to hear news of iPhone 4S standing toe-to-toe with competing smartphones, but as it turns out, Apple’s upcoming smartphone actually beats them by a considerable margin, and this isn’t the biggest surprise!

From AnandTech:
    The results are pretty much as expected. JavaScript performance finally catches up to Tegra 2 based Honeycomb devices, while general CPU performance is significantly higher than the iPhone. I suspect Ice Cream Sandwich will bridge the Android smartphone gap.
    Using the Geekbench for iOS app, it has been revealed that the dual-core Apple A5 chip that powers the iPhone 4S is actually underclocked to 800MHz (compared to 900MHz on iPad 2). Despite being underclocked and having half the RAM, benchmarks such as SunSpider, BrowserMark and GLBenchmark 2.1 all suggest the same thing: the dual-core A5 chip performs better than the higher-clocked 1.2GHz dual-core Exynos chip and 1GHz dual-core Tegra 2 chips that power the Galaxy S II and Droid Bionic (respectively).

This nicely revises the lesson hardware enthusiasts have been preaching over the years: clock speed isn’t the only thing that matters! Apple’s A5 processor is much more optimized and gives more performance per clock.

The reason why Apple chose to underclock the A5 chip is pretty obvious: the iPhone 4S packs a smaller battery compared the iPad, so a little sacrifice had to be made.

Graphics-wise, the iPhone 4S is ahead of the competition too. An offscreen 720p render test in GLBenchmark 2.1 reveals that the SGX 543MP2 GPU in the iPhone 4S gives roughly twice the performance of the Mali 400 GPU that comes with Galaxy S II, which previously held the title of the most powerful smartphone GPU.

Because it is underclocked, the A5 chip on iPhone 4S is understandably behind by ~21% in the graphics department when compared to the A5 chip in iPad 2:
    [Graphic’s wise] the iPad 2 holds a ~21% performance advantage, which once again I assume to be all related to clock speed. Also note the huge advantage over the existing iPhone 4. The GPU power in the 4S should be more than enough to run any well written, current generation title at well north of 30 fps on its display.
    We’ve been covering the iPhone 4S extensively in the past few days. If you wish to learn more, you can read our post on iPhone 4S’ features and specifications. The phone can be pre-ordered as well if you’re interested.

You can follow us on Twitter or join our Facebook page to keep yourself updated on all the latest from Microsoft, Google, Apple and the web.

Source: http://www.redmondpie.com/iphone-4s-...Redmond+Pie%29

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

This phone looks so sweet. A friend from work ordered one, I can't wait to hear his review of it.

I am still pretty shocked that they didn't say a peep about the iphone 5 though.... But, I'm sure they have a plan.
    Customizable Adult & Kids shirts, onesies, and More
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/CheaperThanShirt

My new 4S will be delivered to my doorstep on Friday.

Adventurer at Large! BruteForce's Avatar
    Apple Fan-Boi! I still wouldn't trade my Thunderbolt for the 4s! I have an iPad2 (faster than the Iphone 4s), but it still collects dust. Great toy to have in the office, but the APPS are so awesome on DROID, and much less expensive.

I sir, challenge you to a droid -v- Apple duel. Utah Valley -v- SL Valley commencing this friday. FIPS and Megaflops from DROID -v- iPhone4 (since you don't yet have your coveted 4s).
    2020 Jeep Gladiator (2" Lift, 37" Tires, Falcon 3.3 Shocks, Lockers, Sliders)
    2018 Polaris Sportsman XP 1000 (Hunter Edition)
    2014 Polaris Sportsman XP 850 HO EFI EPS (Browning Edition)
    2009 Dodge Ram 3500 Mega Laramie/Resistol DRW (~800HP/1400TQ)
    Yukon Charlies 930 Trail Series Snow Shoes
    5.11 Tactical Coyote Boots

The random world and adventures of BruteForce

iPhone 4S CPU Clocked At 800MHz Is 73% Faster Than iPhone 4, Twice As Fast As Android

U'm no not even close to twice as fast as 'android'. My phone is a droid and its running at 1.0ghz, that is 1,000mhz for those who don't know.
    What an outright lie.

And I most certainly do NOT believe that they beat the samsung fascinate II, its a DUAL CORE PHONE running at 2.0ghz 2,000mhz. Where the hell did you find this article op?

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEberryBOB View Post
    Where the hell did you find this article op?
    http://www.redmondpie.com/iphone-4s-...Redmond+Pie%29

I know the truth hurts for you Android fan boys...

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca View Post
    http://www.redmondpie.com/iphone-4s-...Redmond+Pie%29

I know the truth hurts for you Android fan boys...
    Are you serious?

The truth must hurt for those that are ignorant of it.

CPU Processor Speed, Type 1GHz, Cortex A8 Hummingbird Application Processor, Samsung
    That is DIRECTLY from samsung's spec\data sheet. The new fascinate 2 which I spoke of is already on the market in Korea and won't be in the states until later. The fascinate 2 has a dual core processor running at over 1.0ghz.

Perhaps you should check your sources before you post things?

http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/cel...00RKAVZW-specs
    Halfway down the page under the 'cpu' label.

Samsung Galaxy S II smartphone is fast and 4G ready
    Instant gratification isn't fast enough. So we packed the Galaxy S II with a blistering
    dual-core processor and engineered it to run on 4G networks

. Live-stream sports, play games like never before, and shoot and share videos and photos in an instant. No waiting. No stutters. Just unsurpassed performance and functionality.
    /\ also from samsung's website./\

This is from a review site so its sketchy
    Using the Android System Info app (available for free on the Android Market), we found confirmation that the Galaxy S II is indeed running a 1.2GHz ARMv7 dual-core processor

There is more to real world speed than just raw ghz numbers
    Randy Langstraat
    ADVENTR.CO | Anasazi Photography

Sorry had a bad morning and I'm grouchy. But seriously, do some research before you post 'fact articles'.

@Inrepidxj - I understand that, however the publisher of that article blatantly lied about CPU speed in reference to a droid phone. Perhaps they were comparing it to the lowest priced phone on the market that supports droid os? Nope, that can't be because the cheapest phone is 99$ and runs at 600mhz which is still 3\4 the speed of the iPhone 4s.

Where the hell did you find this article op?
    Sorry had a bad morning and I'm grouchy. But seriously, do some research before you post 'fact articles'.

@Inrepidxj - I understand that, however the publisher of that article blatantly lied about CPU speed in reference to a droid phone. Perhaps they were comparing it to the lowest priced phone on the market that supports droid os? Nope, that can't be because the cheapest phone is 99$ and runs at 600mhz which is still 3\4 the speed of the iPhone 4s.
    yowzah ... such exasperation over one news article quoting another article on a tech site.

as acca's article mentions they are citing an article from anandtech which is a fairly well-known site. here's the article if you'd like to see what it actually says, bbbob.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4951/i...pu-than-ipad-2

Quote Originally Posted by BruteForce View Post
    Apple Fan-Boi! I still wouldn't trade my Thunderbolt for the 4s! I have an iPad2 (faster than the Iphone 4s), but it still collects dust. Great toy to have in the office, but the APPS are so awesome on DROID, and much less expensive.

I sir, challenge you to a droid -v- Apple duel. Utah Valley -v- SL Valley commencing this friday. FIPS and Megaflops from DROID -v- iPhone4 (since you don't yet have your coveted 4s).
    gee, i wonder who has the bigger megaflop

Quote Originally Posted by stefan View Post
    yowzah ... such exasperation over one news article quoting another article on a tech site.

as acca's article mentions they are citing an article from anandtech which is a fairly well-known site. here's the article if you'd like to see what it actually says, bbbob.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4951/i...pu-than-ipad-2
    My post was from the manufacturer of the phone siting 1ghz as apposed to the slow as a slug Iphone 4s's 800mhz.
    OP's article was wrong plain and simple. My later 'updates\edits' to my post had citations where needed when information could not be verified through the manufacturer of the phone.

My post was from the manufacturer of the phone siting 1ghz as apposed to the slow as a slug Iphone 4s's 800mhz.
    OP's article was wrong plain and simple. My later 'updates\edits' to my post had citations where needed when information could not be verified through the manufacturer of the phone.
    exasperation nevertheless.

anyway, since you mentioned the samsung galaxy S II, this does appear on anandtech's benchmark charts and it does rank very high. they do list it has having the Exynos 4210 which is a 1.2 GHz dual core chip as you mention.

Quote Originally Posted by stefan View Post
    exasperation nevertheless.

anyway, since you mentioned the samsung galaxy S II, this does appear on anandtech's benchmark charts and it does rank very high. they do list it has having the Exynos 4210 which is a 1.2 GHz dual core chip as you mention.
    Now if we can only get it released in the states. Supposedly its in Korea at the moment, I haven't seen a release date for the us of hay.

At a lower operating frequency than its Android competitors, Apple does have to exploit its strengths in software to avoid any tangible performance penalties
    I think I was confused, and I am sorry for coming off as a jerk earlier. They're saying its 70% faster in the tests and not in relation to hardware, I apologize for my ignorance.

Gee, I thought this kind of furor only happened between Ford and Chevy drivers....
    Life is Good

[QUOTE=accadacca;476062]
    This nicely revises the lesson hardware enthusiasts have been preaching over the years: clock speed isn
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves."
    -John Muir

I am pleased with my galaxy s II , but I am easy to please. I like the speed and screen size in comparison to other phones.

New iPhone 4S speedtest

---
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    If you don't have anything nice to say....come and sit by me.

Dana & Thane @ Couchsurfing.org

Quote Originally Posted by dbaxter View Post
    New iPhone 4S speedtest

---
    Surfing on mine right now. It's sure zippy!

U'm no not even close to twice as fast as 'android'. My phone is a droid and its running at 1.0ghz, that is 1,000mhz for those who don't know.
    What an outright lie.

And I most certainly do NOT believe that they beat the samsung fascinate II, its a DUAL CORE PHONE running at 2.0ghz 2,000mhz. Where the hell did you find this article op?
    Edit: I had commented and went back through the posts.... someone already went over this :)

I looked into this a little bit and its kind of a strange deal, they are saying that there is so much of a hardware difference and that it doesn't go off of the ghz alone. The difference in ghz actually isn't the factor of speed. Its the combined hardware components. Android phones are phenomenal (myself and wife are using android) but they are definitely slower. The ghz is the speed of their processor so you can have an android phone with more ghz and still be slower. Anyways, thats just my input... no worries... I am actually mostly impartial
    Customizable Adult & Kids shirts, onesies, and More
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/CheaperThanShirt