Thread: Tierdrop Anchors?

Tierdrop Anchors?

Has anyone done Tierdrop recently? I'm interested in the condition of the anchors. Any recent information? Thanks.
    Deb

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Was in Tierdrop last May. Sorry - not so recent, but no one else has responded at this point so thought I would.
    1st rap - the large rock formation in the center & at the head of the drainage had a long, black sling with a rap ring. Was in good condition. There was no evidence of any slings on the upper boulder that some recommend for anchoring off of.
    2nd rap - found two slings with rap ring wrapped around a medium-sized boulder perched on the sloping slickrock. They were in decent condition at the time, but the boulder is small enough to make you wonder if it's going to slide off with you. It didn't but doesn't look secure enough to give any warm fuzzies.
    3rd rap - Once off the 2nd, walked over to the right and out to the edge and located the last slings. There were 2 or 3 joined together and extended over the short ledge to a lower bench. They were more weathered. This last rappel is almost all free.
    Best advice, since the route is not bolted, take plenty of sling to set, replace and/or reinforce the old slings. They may have been baking all summer long in the sun & then exposed to a fairly wet monsoon season.

Thanks for the information. My friend had heard a rumour that they were in bad shape for some reason, but she couldn't remember any details. I was trying to find out what she might have heard, but the only thing I could find was a post from last May talking about bad rope grooves at the last rap. Your stuff helps.
    Deb

The rope grooves at the last rap are pretty bad. Last one down should be careful about rope placement. On the pull, back far away from the cliff to minimize both drag & deepening the grooves & extend the anchor if not already done. You might also want to consider "Not Tierdrop" written up on Average Joe Road Trips. Very similar route right between Tierdrop & U-Turn, not bolted at all. Park Service may be discouraging use of that route because bolts were cut out. Has 3 - or even 4 raps, all off natural anchors and all can be set as retrievable.