Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I Shouldn't Be Alive - Chasm Of Death

Loved it
    just gona stand there and watch me burn...... thats alright cuzi like the way it hurts

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Just done watching it. Loved it!
    If that's doesn't convince you to wear a helmet, I don't know what will.

Quote Originally Posted by EvergreenDean View Post
    Just re-read the real story. The show also claimed they spent two nights in canyon, rescued on day three. Too bad they embellished. The story is good enough without exaggerating.
    I just saw the show last night, and I actually thought that they didn't show them spending a 2nd night in the canyon. They showed them getting rescued at the beginning of the second night it seemed.

It seems the biggest mistake of the show is saying that the group erred by taking the wrong fork once in the canyon. I found myself asking why don't they just retrace their steps, go back to the fork, take the other side of the fork, and find their way out.

Quote Originally Posted by freethinkin View Post
    It seems the biggest mistake of the show is saying that the group erred by taking the wrong fork once in the canyon. I found myself asking why don't they just retrace their steps, go back to the fork, take the other side of the fork, and find their way out.
    I thought the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by homerj View Post
    I thought the same thing.

X3

X4

I found myself screaming at the TV: "just turn around and go back to the fork". That did not help!

Set to record!! On again in Utah on DirecTv on the 19th at 7 and 10 p.m.
    Jared Hillhouse
    North Wash Outfitters LLP.
    Twitter: @North_Wash
    N.W.O. on Facebook
    "Great Adventure Buddies Make It Happen"

I caught the segment this evening. There must have been a good reason they did not just turn around and go the way they came. Remember, these were not canyoneers. These were traumatized campers. Just love seeing red rock country no matter what the occasion.

Ken

I visited this area about a year ago. Thankfully I didn't get stuck in a slot like these gentleman, but it was pretty cool to see a show about a place I've been and love. I just hope it doesn't draw too many visitors to this area because I love the solitude. Not seeing a single person for a couple days is a nice change once in a while.

Quote Originally Posted by spinesnaper View Post
    I caught the segment this evening. There must have been a good reason they did not just turn around and go the way they came.
    The unfortunate thing, Ken, is that the show kind of played fast and loose with the facts, like Dean said near the start of the thread. The navigation error was in finding the drainage to enter - as I understand from reading up on it, they dropped into the Middle Fork, rather than the East Fork. They rapped in, pulled the rope, and then there was no going back. In the show, they made an error that could have been reversed.

Anybody who wasn't familiar with the real situation could be forgiven for scratching their head and wondering why they didn't just retrace their steps. Why did the show decide to portray it this way?? Good question. Ah, show biz.

Show business!! Say no more.

Ken

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrus2000 View Post
    The unfortunate thing, Ken, is that the show kind of played fast and loose with the facts, like Dean said near the start of the thread. The navigation error was in finding the drainage to enter - as I understand from reading up on it, they dropped into the Middle Fork, rather than the East Fork. They rapped in, pulled the rope, and then there was no going back. In the show, they made an error that could have been reversed.

Anybody who wasn't familiar with the real situation could be forgiven for scratching their head and wondering why they didn't just retrace their steps. Why did the show decide to portray it this way?? Good question. Ah, show biz.
    My guess is the writers were given the information that they "took the wrong fork". With little to no knowledge of canyoneering, they portrayed people "taking the wrong fork".

T

Middle Lep was my introduction to canyoneering as well; we approached from the north instead of south for Right Lep, and decided we were close enough to drop into what seemed to be the correct slot. *That* was an interesting first day; I was really glad to have had a lot of technical climbing experience, and gained a *lot* of experience in what not to do really quickly. :) A 3A-R-III canyon as a warmup and introduction really got me hooked... and that probably doesn't say anything good about me at all.