Thread: Went to Zion - questions about future trip in May

Euro Utah enthusiast Michael_WB's Avatar

Went to Zion - questions about future trip in May

Hi,

Two weeks ago I took a three day canyoneering course with Zion Adventure Company, which was a terrific experience. Very impressed with the level of professionalism and knowledge of the guides, and the course (including outings to Battle Creek and Water Canyon) gave me reasonable confidence to tackle some basic technical canyons with more autonomy.

After a rest day, (driving around the dirt roads of the Kaibab NF along the Grand Canyon north rim), I managed to hook up with some more or less experienced individuals in Keyhole Canyon and Pine Creek (twice each, and *very* glad of the rented wetsuit!) before finishing the trip with a great romp through Mystery Canyon.

Name:  Mystery Canyon_Zi.jpg
Views: 314
Size:  167.9 KB

After many years of hiking/backpacking both in Europe and the US, this fairly intense introduction to technical canyoneering has brought with it a couple of regrets: (a) why didn't I do this long before I was 45 years old?, and (b) how can I negotiate more than 20 days a year holiday from my employer?

I will investigating the 'canyoning' possibilities here in France/Switzerland, although it would appear that most are very watery affairs and more open limestone/granite gorges, rather than the narrow sculpted sandstone slots to be found on the Colorado Plateau. So it is more likely that I will continue my canyoneering activities in Utah a couple of times a year as well as the odd descent in the mountains closer to home.

This brings me to my question: which destinations would be suitable for an early-mid May excursion? I will be attending a wedding in Rhode Island on May 6th 2012; I am tempted to spend the following 7-10 days in the South-West before returning to Geneva. I remember from a Zion trip last April/May that snowmelt/runoff was flooding the Narrows (and the Subway very nearly so), so where else would likely be accessible in the Zion area? Should I also be looking at Escalante, North Wash, Moab, other areas as well?

Best regards,

Michael.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Should I also be looking at Escalante, North Wash, Moab, other areas as well?
    Escalante tends to be wonderful in May (except for maybe Death Hollow-it may be early for that one). If you are limited on time and can visit only one area, I'd choose that one (though most canyons require at least a fair amount of experience).

North Wash tends to be quite hot by then and can be quite unpleasant. Most of the tehncial canyons in Moab aren't that great, but the surrounding scenery is nice with all the arches, fins, etc. The Capitol Reef canyons tend to be ideal for May.

May is often early for much of Zion (especially for canyons draining into the Zion Narrows), but in dry years it can be reasonable. Canyons such as Behunin, Birch Hollow or Misery can often be good for May.

In mid-May 2007 we did Mystery and Echo is almost dry conditions, but in some years Echo can be filled with snow into July! Spring conditions in Zion are extremely variable from year to year.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Hi Scott,

Thanks for your reply. Assuming all goes to plan, I would be arriving in Vegas May 8th and leaving May 18th, so would have over a week to buzz between Escalante/Zion (and perhaps Capitol Reef), depending on local conditions.

Last April/May I hiked the Coyote Dry Forks (Spooky/Peekaboo), Boulder-Escalante Mail Trail, and in Capitol Reef, Upper Muley Twist/Spring Canyon, (also driving around Cathedral Valley and down the Notom-Bullfrog Rd as far as Halls Creek Overlook), before spending a few days in Zion. It was very pleasant around Capitol Reef, around freezing at night camping up on the slickrock near Death Hollow, but was already in the early 90F range once we got to Springdale.

As your answer implies, it might be a bit of a lottery. But perhaps one worth taking a chance on, given that I will already be on *that* side of the pond anyway.

Michael.

Utah weather in May is an iffy afair. The good part is if you're not happy with the weather wait 5 minutes and it will change.

The Canyons in the San Rafael Swell are usually popular in May.

The runoff in Zion was particularly high this last year, it really depends on how crazy the winter was and how fast the snow is melting. Some of those Zion canyons (when open) are a ridiculous amount of fun when full of water, though it does increase the technical difficulty by a pretty good margin in some cases.
    --Cliff

The nice thing about modern travel is you can often wait to the last minute to decide specifics. I would keep an eye on the group and ask again sometime late this winter or early spring. You should be able to find lodging or camp reservations with 6 weeks notice.

All the aforementioned areas are great but have different personalities.

Zion can be great in the Spring but the number of canyons available can be limited. Most consistently this is an issue of access and snow in the drainages; that changes wildly from year to year.

Glad you had such a great experience stateside. Admire your dilemma of having to tolerate all those wet, beautiful gorges in Europe ;^)

Phillip

Quote Originally Posted by Michael_WB View Post
    After many years of hiking/backpacking both in Europe and the US, this fairly intense introduction to technical canyoneering has brought with it a couple of regrets: (a) why didn't I do this long before I was 45 years old?, and (b) how can I negotiate more than 20 days a year holiday from my employer?
    Me too!!! I descended my first technical canyon at the age of 42. D'oh! All those wasted years... And I think we'd all like some extra days off!

I will investigating the 'canyoning' possibilities here in France/Switzerland, although it would appear that most are very watery affairs and more open limestone/granite gorges, rather than the narrow sculpted sandstone slots to be found on the Colorado Plateau. So it is more likely that I will continue my canyoneering activities in Utah a couple of times a year as well as the odd descent in the mountains closer to home.
    Don't be so quick to write off the "watery affairs" close to home. I think it's really worth looking into. My home is in Vancouver, Canada, granite, forested and wet wet wet. I've recently begun to descend some of the local creeks & canyons, and am having a great time of it! It's quite a different experience from the sculpted sandstone, but very beautiful and exciting. But yes, I spend as much time as I am able to justify in the desert southwest...

This brings me to my question: which destinations would be suitable for an early-mid May excursion? I will be attending a wedding in Rhode Island on May 6th 2012; I am tempted to spend the following 7-10 days in the South-West before returning to Geneva. I remember from a Zion trip last April/May that snowmelt/runoff was flooding the Narrows (and the Subway very nearly so), so where else would likely be accessible in the Zion area? Should I also be looking at Escalante, North Wash, Moab, other areas as well?
    As folks have mentioned, the opening of the Narrows can vary from year to year, and both of the last two years have been relatively late. However, even in a normal year, it is not particularly likely that you will be able to descend, for example, Mystery prior to around the 18th or so, your expected departure date. This graph shows the flow in 2009 as the blue line, and the 22 year median flow in brown triangles. You can see that the flow doesn't normally fall below 140cfs until around the 15th to 20th.

So of course, it could happen... But I'd be more inclined to head for the Escalante area, personally - if you rent a decent SUV, a trip down the Hole in the Rock Road would be a great experience. As Scott says, a lot of the canyons down there can require more experience, though. However, you can even do some of the less technical slots (Egypt 3, Spooky/Peekaboo) and have a great canyon experience.

And while the North Wash may be starting to get hot, it is really hard to beat as far as easy access to beautiful tight slots goes, without too much experience required (the Irish canyons) and without a huge amount of equipment (not terribly long rappels, for example, and no wetsuits.)

All that being said, I will be in Zion the week after your trip, so I am hoping the weather and flow will be conducive to canyons as well! Have fun, and let us know what you're getting up to, at home and on this side of the pond...

It's the no-see-um's that chase the canyoneers out of North Wash every summer, not the heat.

The first half a May when you will be around North Wash should not be too hot. But when those damn blood sucking gnats show up is anther story.

I will reply to later to the many useful comments above, when I return from some errands. In the meantime, here is a little clip from Keyhole...

http://youtu.be/d9jLZY4e3PM

Michael.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    It's the no-see-um's that chase the canyoneers out of North Wash every summer, not the heat.

The first half a May when you will be around North Wash should not be too hot. But when those damn blood sucking gnats show up is anther story.
    True enough...

29 April, 2009, Sandthrax campground:

Here is a slideshow of a few pics from the trip:

http://tinyurl.com/6zrpkpu

And I will probably book the onward flights to Las Vegas for those 10 days in May next year, and decide nearer the time where the final southern Utah destination might be :)

Cheers,

Michael.