Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TCU considering invite to Big 12

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

It's a done deal....

makes a lot more sense than the Big East.

Quote Originally Posted by emdubl View Post
    makes a lot more sense than the Big East.
    It also leaves BYU on the outside looking in again....

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    It also leaves BYU on the outside looking in again....
    What else is new. This religion thing seems to bother a bunch of people. I can't think of a business reason for not inviting BYU.

I will say, my cult team seems to be playing better under Riley Nelson.

(Unnecessary note but necessary for some who are far too serious: I AM JOKING when I call BYU a cult team. Thank you. That is all)
    Life is Good

it's the simple fact that the people making the decisions don't seem to understand that we can either play football with the big boys, and make some reasonable concessions, or they can stick to their demands, be stuck playing little sisters of the poor in the WCC and the WAC leftovers.

makes me frustrated. i couldn't care less about the religious aspects of BYU, but i was raised a BYU fan, and changing allegiances to another team is pretty much impossible. byu football is in my blood. you can't replace all the ups and downs of cheering for a team over a lifetime. but all this nonsense makes me seriously HATE BYU football. BYU was, by all accounts, a shoe in for the B12, but they refused to compromise on anything, and finally the B12 just said screw it, you guys are a pain in the ass to deal with.

i'm flying to oregon in two days, partly to go to the OSU-BYU game, and i'm pretty sure i'm not even going to go. i'd rather go take some photos in the columbia river gorge, it'd be far more enjoyable. i wonder why i would give the Y my loyalty when it seems no one at byu reciprocates that loyalty to their fans. this isn't big time college football. probably never will be, despite how much the suits and ties in SLC want to pretend it is. super frustrating.

/end rant.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card View Post
    What else is new. This religion thing seems to bother a bunch of people. I can't think of a business reason for not inviting BYU.
    There is certainly politics in business.

The tide is turning in the state of Utah. BYU once dominated the Utah market, got the most media coverage and had the most fans. I have seen this slowly starting to sway this year and it will continue. Especially with decisions like this being made which leave BYU left on the outside looking in. I would love to see BYU in the Big 12 and I cant understand their logic. Utah made huge concessions to get in the Pac-12. They understood what it meant and were not greedy. Have fun playing Idaho and Idaho State over the next few weeks...there could be a lot more of that in the future. A once proud program is crumbling...

I probably haven't been following this like I should but what are the concessions that are not being made? I know the Sunday play is not negotiable but other than that, I would think that just about everything else ought to be on the table, at least for negotiations sake. What else is being said out there that BYU is holding onto too tightly?
    Life is Good

I probably haven't been following this like I should but what are the concessions that are not being made? I know the Sunday play is not negotiable but other than that, I would think that just about everything else ought to be on the table, at least for negotiations sake. What else is being said out there that BYU is holding onto too tightly?
    BYUtv replays, mostly. conflict with the FOX contracts, and being unwilling to budge on that fact. BYU wants immediate replays after the games, FOX wants 72 hours. among others like bowl contracts, not damaging WCC relationships, guarantees of future conference stability, etc...

What has to hurt BYU even more is the Big 12 took anther private, religion based school that has trouble selling out their own stadium, doesn't have nearly the national fan base of BYU and does little to increase the Big 12 TV footprint.....

Heck, even mighty Texas has been making some huge concessions to the Big 12.

I would really like to see BYU in the Big 12, if for nothing more than I could watch more quality football on Saturdays.

Replays??? Really? In the era of DVRs is that an issue? Wow. I watched the BYU vs. SJSU replay last night on DVR. I guess it may be important to those without cable, satalite, internet, TV, AM Radio.... Seriously, who does that apply to, those in Utah County with rabbit ears on the tv so as to ge KBYU? Seems to me if you get BYUtv you could shell out a couple of bucks for the sports package that carries BYU if you are that big of a fan and then just, well, DVR the game.

The WCC thing is troubling. But I remember that the WCC knew going in that BYU would likely take a BCS invite if one were offered. Also, Dave Rose and the BBall team have kinda been the whipping boys in all this and I would think that a BCS conference would be the goal there too.
    Life is Good

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    What has to hurt BYU even more is the Big 12 took anther private, religion based school that has trouble selling out their own stadium, doesn't have nearly the national fan base of BYU and does little to increase the Big 12 TV footprint.....

Heck, even mighty Texas has been making some huge concessions to the Big 12.

I would really like to see BYU in the Big 12, if for nothing more than I could watch more quality football on Saturdays.
    There are religions and there are "religions". Jeeze, you heard the pastor in Texas, yes TEXAS, saying that the majority of the "Christians" think Mormonism is cult. True or not is irrelevant. I really think that is the bias here.
    Life is Good

like i said, when you have people making the decisions who really have no idea what football is all about, what do you expect? the board of trustees, IE the quorum of the 12, have to approve this. i'll refrain from all the snarky BS jokes i have inside of me on this, but if you are waiting for "revelation" to come to get BYU in the B12, then we will all be doing exactly what that utah grad Cecil has told BYU fans - we will all be holding our breath until we are blue in the face.

if this was up to the AD, you can bet that everyone would've already made the concessions and jumped in. the conference is stable, and adding BYU with the guarantees of TV rights granted for 6 years from each individual school shows good faith from all the players. it's common sense. MAKE IT HAPPEN. but it's not the B12 who doesn't want BYU. it's BYU who doesn't want the B12. BYU had their chance, and it seems they snubbed their noses. it's not religious persecution by any stretch. by all indications, IT IS RELIGIOUS ARROGANCE on byu's part.

byu is going to get exactly what they ask for it seems.... i can only hope i'm wrong.

I hope you are wrong too.
    Life is Good

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeyBiggs View Post
    like i said, when you have people making the decisions who really have no idea what football is all about, what do you expect?
    x2

Whomever is making the decisions has confused TV exposure with football relevance.

It appears BYU is now completely out of the Big 12 picture and Louisville is now slotted for the next dance.

From KSL "Cougar Tracks...." some quotes today from Bronco Mendenhall

"The only thing that I've recommended (to athletic director Tom Holmoe) is access to the top tier bowl games, and that's the BCS system," said Mendenhall. "If joining a conference would allow us that then I would prefer that over independence. We got to get access."

Mendenhall voiced satisfaction with BYU's current state of independence but acknowledged that BCS access takes precedence. "If we had a conference invitation (without greater access to the BCS as an independent) then my recommendation would be to take it."
    Life is Good

some quotes today from Bronco Mendenhall
    What else is Bronco going to say?!?

There is no way he can say the current system sucks... I believe Bronco to be a good soldier, and a good soldier always attempts to accomplish the mission given to him.

If Bronco came out and said the current system sucked he would probably be looking for a new job. At the very least he would torpedo his recruiting efferts. Who wants to play in a system that even the coach publicly states he doesn't believe in?

Independence beats the MWC. But everyone, or almost everyone agrees that the BCS is the goal.
    Life is Good

Independence beats the MWC.
    Really? Not so far...

It really depends on your definition of beats. Not worth rehashing I guess. We've been through it...

Let me summarize $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ and ESPN. That is all.
    Life is Good