Thread: Help me choose a new camera, please!

Help me choose a new camera, please!

So, I'm thinking of getting a new digital slr, and have been looking at some of the Canon Rebel series. I guess my specs would be that I want something that has a large LCD screen, great low light capability, ability to take shots of animals in motion, is fairly light weight, has the ability to change lenses, and is a great overall camera for the money spent.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

biggest factor is budget... how much do you want to spend?

No more than $1000. I was actually thinking about $800, including an extra lens (zoom). So, anything much more than $1000 would be out of my ballpark.

I've owned quite a few Canon models(10D,20D,30D,5D,Rebel XT, Rebel XTi). I currently own a 5D and a Rebel T2i. I love the 5D because it's full frame and for portrait work I will not use anything less. Having said that, the T2i is a great little camera, super light, big LCD screen, good low light performance and it shoots 1080p video as well. I rarely use our 5D outside of company work. The T2i is my go to camera whenever I'm out and about. There are a plethora of lenses for it both Canon and 3rd party. I bought ours new (just the body) for $625 about 9 months ago. You should probably be able to find one for cheaper now because Canon has come out with a T3i(which I don't think is worth the extra money over a T2i). You'll want to make sure you get nice lenses. Good glass makes all the difference!

if weight is a factor - pick up a panasonic g series and a 45-200 zoom. best lightweight "slr" available.

if you want higher quality - more lenses - higher price - more weight - get a nikon d3000 or canon rebel series.

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeyBiggs View Post
    if weight is a factor - pick up a panasonic g series and a 45-200 zoom. best lightweight "slr" available.

if you want higher quality - more lenses - higher price - more weight - get a nikon d3000 or canon rebel series.
    Weight is a factor, but not as much of a factor as great pics and versatility. Thanks for the suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye008 View Post
    I've owned quite a few Canon models(10D,20D,30D,5D,Rebel XT, Rebel XTi). I currently own a 5D and a Rebel T2i. I love the 5D because it's full frame and for portrait work I will not use anything less. Having said that, the T2i is a great little camera, super light, big LCD screen, good low light performance and it shoots 1080p video as well. I rarely use our 5D outside of company work. The T2i is my go to camera whenever I'm out and about. There are a plethora of lenses for it both Canon and 3rd party. I bought ours new (just the body) for $625 about 9 months ago. You should probably be able to find one for cheaper now because Canon has come out with a T3i(which I don't think is worth the extra money over a T2i). You'll want to make sure you get nice lenses. Good glass makes all the difference!
    So, would you go with some third party lens then? If so, do you have a recommendation that would keep it in my ballpark price? I appreciate the advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Wasatch Rebel View Post
    So, would you go with some third party lens then? If so, do you have a recommendation that would keep it in my ballpark price? I appreciate the advice.
    How exciting to get a new camera!

I have a Nikon, so I can't comment on the 3rd party lenses for Canon specifically, and it does depend upon your intended use. I know the Tokina wide-angle zooms (ie - 12-24) for Nikon get really good reviews, and I'd imagine they'd be the same for Canon. The other main 3rd party lenses I know of are by Sigma and Tamron. Olympus may make lenses to fit Canon cameras? I don't know...

I don't know if these issues are similar with Canon cameras, but I do know that some 3rd party lenses (like the Tokina wide-angle I mentioned) don't autofocus on all models of Nikon...like my D40. I'm eventually going to upgrade to a D7000 (hopefully!), and that lens will autofocus on that particular camera. I know Canon has awesome glass - just like Nikkor - but it can really spendy. So, sometimes, it is worth it to buy a 3rd party lens, esp. if it's a specialty (fisheye, macro) and it won't be your mainstay lens.

So, those are things you might want to look into - the compatibility of the camera with lenses you may want to buy down the road, if they aren't Canon. My camera also lacks the auto-bracketing feature, which would be nice to have.

You could check out Ken Rockwell's site or dpreview.com - they have really comprehensive reviews of pretty much everything (lenses, P'nS, DLSR's, etc) out there.

In fact, here's a review of the Canon Rebel T3i on the site:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/1102/11...noneos600d.asp

Have fun shopping !
    Sonya

Art & photography blog

Facebook Studio Page

"I lost my virginity, but I still have the box it came in"

Quote Originally Posted by Wasatch Rebel View Post
    Tamron makes a 17-50mm 2.8 lens that produces really nice pictures and you get the 2.8 aperture through the entire length of the lens which makes it a good low light performer. They also make a 28-75mm 2.8 if you prefer that focal length. I have owned both lenses. I prefer the 17-50 on a crop sensor. Get the original version of the lens without the image stabilization because it's not very useful at those focal lengths and you will save some money. Another inexpensive lenses is the Canon 50mm 1.8. The build quality isn't all that great but the lens produces really nice images and the 1.8 aperture lets you shoot in really low light. Canon also makes a 55-250 lens that is supposed to produce some nice images for the money if you are wanting a tele lens.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by canyonphile View Post
    How exciting to get a new camera!

Have fun shopping !
    Thanks! Actually, this purchase has been on the table more than once and had to be pulled because of other expenses that came up. I'm hoping that isn't the case this time. We're supposed to be getting a small inheritance (early, my MIL wants to give some of it away before she goes), and we're paying off debt with part of it, saving some, and hopefully, buying a camera. Although I just remembered we need a new furnace. Maybe the old one will make it through one more winter.

I'm not real good at technical jargon regarding photography. What does "The T2i supports all EF and EF-S mount lenses, with a 1.6X focal length conversion" mean?

EF lenses are standard Canon lenses, they work an all of their SLR cameras going back many years, whether full frame or crop sensor. EF-S lenses are specially designed for their crop sensor cameras and won't work on the more expensive full frame cameras.

About full frame vs. crop sensor... Pretty much all of the reasonably priced DSLR's on the market have a crop sensor. What this means is that the sensor that captures the image is not full sized. So the same focal length lens on a full frame camera (5D, 1D, etc.) will get a wider image than that focal length on a crop sensor camera (T3i, 60D, 7D, etc.).

For canon cameras, the crop factor is 1.6 (APS-C). So a 10mm focal length on a crop sensor T2i is equivalent to a 16mm focal length on a full frame 5D.

Right now, you can get a Canon EOS Rebel T3 and a Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4.0-5.6 IS zoom lens for about $650. A few retailers have this deal going on (I've seen it at Sam's Club and Amazon) if you purchase both at the same time. That would put it easily within your price range. In fact I've been thinking about getting the same camera/lens combo, so I figured I'd mention it here and see if anyone has any thoughts? Is there a better body or lens out there for a similar price (say, within $100)?
    Blog | FB

Quote Originally Posted by Udink View Post
    Right now, you can get a Canon EOS Rebel T3 and a Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4.0-5.6 IS zoom lens for about $650. A few retailers have this deal going on (I've seen it at Sam's Club and Amazon) if you purchase both at the same time. That would put it easily within your price range. In fact I've been thinking about getting the same camera/lens combo, so I figured I'd mention it here and see if anyone has any thoughts? Is there a better body or lens out there for a similar price (say, within $100)?
    I have the T2i and love it. The T3i has a few upgrades but is basically the same camera. I've heard really good things about the 55-250 lens and seen some really nice images from it. The only limiting factor with the lens is the aperture. You would need a tripod to shoot in low light. That is a steal for $650 though.

t3i is different than the t3... fyi.

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeyBiggs View Post
    t3i is different than the t3... fyi.
    Just noticed that...disregard my comments about the camera then.

Consider that if you are serious about landscape photography vs snapshots you will need a good tripod as well. If you are backpacking you will want carbon fiber for weight considerations. Feisol is aboutthe best buy fo rthe money. Consider another $300-700 there. My go-to lens that is on my camera 90% of the time is the Canon 15-85 and set me back $800. The 55-250 already mentioned is a very good lens and likely the best buy out there in zoom lenses but eventually you will want to go wider.

I'll second the need for a good tripod for landscape work. Manfrotto and Gitzo make great carbon fiber and basalt tripods and may be a little less money (Gitzo is more $$$ than Manfrotto). In my opinion here, any of ther Canon cameras will work well for you. Spend the money on the lens. A f/4 lens will serve you well for animals (low light) as well as landscape (shallow depth of field) work. F2.8 is even better but likely beyond your price point. Both Tamron and Sigma are solid 3rd part lens manufactures to compliment any Canon.