Thread: Slot Canyon-Book Cliffs near Price

Slot Canyon-Book Cliffs near Price

Hiked through a nice slot canyon in the Book Cliffs east of Price.

Name:  Patmos Head-Ninem&.jpg
Views: 1583
Size:  99.0 KB

It wasn't a destination canyon, but I guess it's good to know that nice slot canyons exist in the area.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

So, you had to know I was going to ask...where? Looks pretty interesting, and probably something I can do in an afternoon after work.
    Blog | FB

Quote Originally Posted by Udink View Post
    So, you had to know I was going to ask...where? Looks pretty interesting, and probably something I can do in an afternoon after work.
    WTF? Something near Price and YOU don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    WTF? Something near Price and YOU don't know.
    Haha, well, if I had to guess, I'd say somewhere between Horse Canyon and Range Creek. There were some interesting side canyons off of Little Horse Canyon that looked promising.
    Blog | FB

This one is the North Fork of Horse Canyon (the trailhead of which is not far above the Geneva Mine).

It's probably short enough that you could do it in the evening. About 3 miles round trip. Park at a campsite on the left (with a nice log bench) not far above the old water tanks (above the Geneva Mine) and scramble down to the tiny creek. Follow the creek up a short distance until North Fork Horse Canyon comes in from the left. Hike into North Fork Horse Canyon (dry) and up to where you find a pretty nice slot. It's just narrow enough to touch both walls at once at some of the sections, but isn't the tight type of slot that you will find in places like North Wash or the Roost (and not a destination canyon). There are some scrambles required to get through the slot, but nothing hard or that requires ropes.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Thanks, Scott. Very cool of you to share. I wasn't too far off on my guess. I'll probably check it out this week and combine it with a trip to see some fall colors.
    Blog | FB

I hiked to the canyon today--very cool, and worthwhile if you're already in the area. I was hoping to go to Range Creek as well, but I wasn't prepared for the cold and snow!

Name:  IMG_1032..JPG
Views: 1542
Size:  114.8 KB

Name:  IMG_1049..JPG
Views: 1215
Size:  116.1 KB

On the way to Range Creek
    Name:  IMG_1075..JPG
Views: 1051
Size:  91.1 KB
    Blog | FB

thanks!

Cool pictures! I especially liked the last one, but that canyon looks interesting too.
    --Cliff

Your last picture sucks.

I'm not ready for winter...

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    Your last picture sucks.

I'm not ready for winter...

X2