Thread: American Fork Silver Lake- American Fork Canyon- September 30th- 2011

American Fork Silver Lake- American Fork Canyon- September 30th- 2011

I had gotten some insider information that the colors up American Fork Canyon's colors were popping. I decided that Friday I would head up for a day hike, since I had not been to this lake in a few years. I made it up the gnarly road, I have a Honda Accord, and it was slow going. The road is pretty rutted out. So I suggest a 4x4 truck or subaru for sure. The last time I went up there it was freshly graded, but it seems that the runoff this year trashed the road. I finally arrived at the trail head, and it is such a beautiful area. The trail starts out in a nice grove of aspens, then starts to climb the drainage. I was taking pictures of the weirdest spider I have ever seen when a huge Bull Moose came charging out of the trees. Yikes! I ran up the trail as fast as I could. After about 10 min I realized I had put quite a bit of distance between that big guy and me. I turned around and there was a Canadian Thistle blooming right off the trail. On I climbed, just enjoying the scenery. After the stream crossing the views really opened up. Got some great photos. After a few switchbacks, there I was, at the lake. All the locals I talked to at Tibble Fork Res said there were no fish up there, but I had heard otherwise. As soon as I took a seat lake side, one jumped right in front of me. I gave it my best, got a couple of hits, but did not land anything. So I am not sure what is in there, they looked like brownies to me, but hard to tell. After the sun started cresting the ridge, I put away the fishing pole and played with the camera. The light up there was amazing! I kind of lost track of time and realized that I needed to head down. The hike down was awesome! The colors, the clouds, it was really breathtaking. I made a pretty swift decent, crossed the stream and was loving this hike. As soon as I passed the wilderness boundary sign, a Moose cow and her calf walked right out in front of me. Yikes again! I made a large circle off trail up and around her, as I did not want this day to end with me getting trampled. She watched me closely, but did not pursue me. Got to the car and bounced down the road and headed home. Awesome day up there, love that place. Good times! Enjoy the photos!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

We wanna see the Bull! No pictures no proof!

Nice landscapes though! Maybe go check it out-

Marty
    Dawnslightphotography.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mever View Post
    We wanna see the Bull! No pictures no proof!

Nice landscapes though! Maybe go check it out-

Marty
    Dawnslightphotography.com
    Thanks.

On a serious note: I have learned, shoot the angry moose, get charged. When they are snorting and shaking their head, that is my cue to exit rapidly. I tried to get the Cow and her calf on the way out, but when she started to head for me I was thinking "put a bunch of trees between us." I for sure was not thinking "Get the wildlife shot."

yo- for sure. I try that trail soon.

It was a nice revisit, since I had not been there in years. Kind of reminded me of a cross between Millcreek and Little Cottonwood as far as the flora and geology goes. I have a few more in me before the snow flies.

I think I hit this at the right time. I bet there is snow up there now.

Wonderful photos. I haven't been up there for many years. It is just a pretty as I remember it. Thanks!
    Life is Good

Thanks for the compliment.

I enjoyed the adventure up there. It is a gem in the Wasatch for sure.

Moose can be cantankerous animals. I had a run in with one (she had a calf nearby) on the trail to Kings Peak a couple years back. Came around a blind spot in the trail and there she was. Oh Oh (or more correctly...oh sh.t) Made a quick run for the nearest clump of trees. Them things are big up close. That spider pic is outstanding, never saw anything like that before. Thanks for the TR and the pics.

Quote Originally Posted by Dean View Post
    Moose can be cantankerous animals. I had a run in with one (she had a calf nearby) on the trail to Kings Peak a couple years back. Came around a blind spot in the trail and there she was. Oh Oh (or more correctly...oh sh.t) Made a quick run for the nearest clump of trees. Them things are big up close. That spider pic is outstanding, never saw anything like that before. Thanks for the TR and the pics.
    Thanks! Yeah, I find Moose to be some of the scariest animals to run into out there. They are really just insane. Especially in the fall during the rut. I have had run in's in the Uintas as well, not fun when you are so far from the car and help.

I am guessing that is some kind of Orb Weaver. I contacted the DWR and they sent me to a biologist that was not sure either, but he was pretty sure it was an Orb Weaver. I also sent a request in to http://www.whatsthatbug.com/ but have not gotten a response yet. It was crazy, thought it was a berry or something when I first saw it.

Glad you enjoyed the TR.

Beauty trip!! Glad you got one in before snow and with colors. That spider is awesome.
    Don't mess with superman's cape and really big moose. Sweet pix.

Quote Originally Posted by powderglut View Post
    Beauty trip!! Glad you got one in before snow and with colors. That spider is awesome.
    Don't mess with superman's cape and really big moose. Sweet pix.
    Thanks!

Yeah that spider was huge, on a beach you would for sure have mistaken that for a crab. Crazy!