Thread: Grand Canyon Dory Trip

Grand Canyon Dory Trip

Well the Dory trip (16 days) down the Grand Canyon is a spectacular trip. The food was good, the scenery was splendid and the white water was crazy. It was a commercial guided trip so we didn't have to do anything but look at the scenery, participate in hikes and listen to the boatman's stories. I don't have any pics going through rapids since I didn't get a GoPro before the trip but the boatman that ran the supply raft took some of us so when I get them I will amend this post. Here a few of the 2,200 shots I took. First time shooting stars so don't be too critical...(in no particular order)
    Attached Images Attached Images                          
    IF YOU WON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, PLEASE, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM!!!!

2008 V2K Classic LT
    2004 Toyota Tacoma
    Schwinn Homegrown
    CouchSurfing
    Patriot Guard Riders

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    What a great trip, you guys deserved it

Wow. Awesome stuff...so far. MOAR!
    Blog | FB

Bogley BigShot
    MAGICAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Beautiful stuff! Would definitely love to see more - very jealous of this trip. One of these days, I hope... It was great to see you guys, too - even if only for a couple of minutes!

Oh wow .....a 16-day trip in a dory or non-motorized raft through the Grand Canyon is totally my dream trip. Seriously. Like Kev, I'm jealous .

Fun pics, and I can only imagine how amazing it was to experience. Did you guys take out at Diamond Creek? How were Crystal and Lava rapids (assuming you ran them)?
    Sonya

Art & photography blog

Facebook Studio Page

"I lost my virginity, but I still have the box it came in"

Awesome stuff. Sooooo jealous!

Awesome, chance of a lifetime trip. Great pictures. I worked during the summer of 1987 on a raft. We started or float at Lees Ferry and the customers were helicoptered out near Phantom ranch. Us employees motored the rafts onto Lake mead. I have a Hyde pro series drift boat, I can't imagine taking it down lava or cyrstal rapids.

Quote Originally Posted by canyonphile View Post
    Oh wow .....a 16-day trip in a dory or non-motorized raft through the Grand Canyon is totally my dream trip. Seriously. Like Kev, I'm jealous .

Fun pics, and I can only imagine how amazing it was to experience. Did you guys take out at Diamond Creek? How were Crystal and Lava rapids (assuming you ran them)?
    We went all the way to Pierce Ferry, jet boat for the last 40 miles, Crystal was at the sketchy level and the boatman took the boats down solo. Lava was incredible we had our dory full of water up to the gunnels Here is a youtube of the "mothership" going down Lava Falls.
    IF YOU WON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, PLEASE, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM!!!!

2008 V2K Classic LT
    2004 Toyota Tacoma
    Schwinn Homegrown
    CouchSurfing
    Patriot Guard Riders

Definitely a dream trip! Great stuff, man!

did you run lava left in the dorys? i bet that was WILD. that huge wave after cheesegrater even gave the mothership a ride! surprised you walked crystal though, with a dory i'd think it would be pretty easy at high flows, just sneak the right side. were they worried about rocks or something?

a dory trip sounds awesome, i think i'll stick to 18 foot rafts though for now.

Fossil shots look like crinoid stems but I can't tell. Did your guide give you any insight on that?

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeyBiggs View Post
    did you run lava left in the dorys? i bet that was WILD. that huge wave after cheesegrater even gave the mothership a ride! surprised you walked crystal though, with a dory i'd think it would be pretty easy at high flows, just sneak the right side. were they worried about rocks or something?

a dory trip sounds awesome, i think i'll stick to 18 foot rafts though for now.
    We went through Lava a little left of where the mothership went through. We filled our dory up to the gunnels on Lava and were bailing like crazy. Crystal was walked around because they run it at 25K or 8K but there are some moves they have to complete when the water is at 17K that either make it a cake walk or complete disaster. The ride was incredible on the dory and because of this trip we are now "Dory Snobs"

2008 V2K Classic LT
    2004 Toyota Tacoma
    Schwinn Homegrown
    CouchSurfing
    Patriot Guard Riders

Quote Originally Posted by DesertDuke View Post
    Fossil shots look like crinoid stems but I can't tell. Did your guide give you any insight on that?
    That is what they were, there was a retired PhD from Evergreen University on the trip with us and that is what she said they were. The were on a rock at the Red Cavern.

2008 V2K Classic LT
    2004 Toyota Tacoma
    Schwinn Homegrown
    CouchSurfing
    Patriot Guard Riders