Thread: Headed to "The Barracks" (Upper Parunuweap Canyon)

Headed to "The Barracks" (Upper Parunuweap Canyon)

I'm planning a 3 night backpacking trip this Sunday through Wednesday to the "The Barracks" in Parunuweap Canyon. Basically Mt. Carmel Junction to Checkboard Mesa. Unfortunately we don't have a clear weather forecast with 20% - 40% chance of thundershowers each day. Can anybody provide helpful tips on camping spots, areas of the trip subject to hazards with potential thunderstorms, or other useful information?

I'm a "Circle of Friends" member and have been combing the website and web for helpful tips and hints. Any input appreciated, including alternate trips.

Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

There are quite a few places to exit (or at least get high) throughout this section. Check the weather again before you set out, but I really wouldn't stress about it too much. This assumes your concern is a flood. If not wanting to be in the water on a cold/rainy day, eh... West Rim or East Rim maybe?

Do a search for Barracks in the Hiking/Backpacking forums -- there was a thread not too long ago about the obstacles. Others and I both posted some pics. There is one major rockfall/logjam and then the exit is steep and tricky to some. There's also some rocks to climb if you want to get all the way down to Barrier Falls. Plenty of options for "minimalist" camping along the way.

It's a great hike. Three days should give you plenty of time. Enjoy.

- Jamal

Thanks Jamal,
    Yeah flash flooding is my main concern. Otherwise I hope to get wet along the way and enjoy the adventure!

You might find Joe Braun's route info useful:

http://www.citrusmilo.com/zionguide/barracks.cfm

Quote Originally Posted by Airdo View Post
    Yeah flash flooding is my main concern.
    I wouldn't be too concerned about a deadly flash in Parunaweap, just use your commonsence. If things get difficult you can always exit up Mineral Gulch or Poverty Wash, just carry a good map.

Parunaweap is an awesome adventure. Post a TR when you get back.

Once again thanks for the responses.

I have another question: Can anybody with experience imagine a good campsite between Misery Canyon and the Labyrinth Falls? The reason I ask is that I have a important schedule to keep and need to reach the Checkerboard trailhead before 11AM.

Cheers!

If that's your scenario -- I would camp above the exit route. I personally wouldn't want to leave the exit and cross-country bit for the morning if pressed for time.

BTW -- is that your 3rd day or your 4th?

The canyon immediately above/below the exit route is the best part of the canyon IMO, so you don't want to be rushed there. You can camp above the exit on the ridge which is just E of the park boundary (ie legal w/o permit.) You are likely to even find water in the potholes up there (but I'd carry some up just in case.)

If you want to spend your last night in the canyon, I would definitely recommend getting below the logjam. BTW -- there aren't that many spots to camp in that section, but there are some small spots. Can't remember how high they are though if rain is a real concern.

- Jamal

Thanks again Jamal; always good to know more options. FYI - our exit is on the 4th day. I hope to spend the entire 3rd day exploring, scrambling and enjoying the best part of the canyon. I'm even thinking to preview the initial parts of the exit routes so that we can move efficient on the last morning.

Another question: We are not planning to bring any wetsuits. Is this wise?

The confluence with Misery is probably the last place on the way down that would make a reasonable camp in the canyon. As already noted,camping just above the exit scramble might be a good option.

Something to think about..... temps will be about 10 degrees cooler at the river as opposed to the top of the exit route.

From Misery Canyon to the Falls are the deepest part of the canyon and the section not to be mised. I also consider climbing up Misery to the double bridge alcove room a must do, it is one of the most amazing sections of slot canyon I know of. That should only take about 30 minutes from the river.

Agree with what has been posted above. There are far better spots for camping than the willow covered bank at the misery exit. To my recolection there is nothing worth camping on below the Powell plaque and before the falls. I can remember a few nice spots above the exit that would be nice
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!