Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Climax - Grand Canyon NP

Climax - Grand Canyon NP

6 months ago, I swore I

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    first post

I saw a new clip for Dan's GC documentary at the Grand Canyoneering presentation last week in AZ and it was AWESOME! You do amazing work Dan!

Is this canyon in Todd's GC book?

Nice work. People really underestimate the time and effort it takes to get some video/photos on any trip. While everybody is getting impatient, waiting for the camera guy in that one small amount of time, they're forever grateful after the trip when they were in the shot.

That is some sweet stuff right there.

amnesia or temporary insanity? sometimes hard to tell them apart.
    But if I agreed with you, we would both be wrong.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by denaliguide View Post
    amnesia or temporary insanity? sometimes hard to tell them apart.
    There's only two things you need to be a Grand Canyon Canyoneer.

The first, and probably the most important is a short memory, so you don't remember the suffering from your last trip, and the vow you made to God that if he let you out, you would never go back again.

Tom

Excellent photography, as usual. The more I see of the these canyons down at the Grand Canyon, the more I want to go!
    --Cliff

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Great stuff Dan

WOW!!! Gorgeous. Where is this? Thank you.
    [COLOR=#800080][FONT=franklin gothic medium]"Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L

It looks absolutely awesome!
    I want to go there as well.
    Great trip!

thanks for the comments all. this canyon is not actually technically in Todd's book. it was done after the book's deadline, unfortunately.

it's roughly a 14 mile approach and a 12 mile exit, but the slot only takes about 4 hours. that's kind of how the GC canyons go though, lotta work, but the payoff is pretty unique, if you are into marble subways and what not....

there is another canyon that is much easier to get to, and is longer, and possibly even more beautiful than this that has slots in 3 different rock layers (redwall, temple butte, muav). and it's bolted... it's called 150 mile, and it would be a great intro canyon to the white marble slots in the redwall. you have to be able to jug to get out though. but really, all the good redwall slots are pretty amazing, just a lot of work to get to, by utah standards.

Great pics. Impressive as usual.
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

Nice colours in the Corkscrew, Mr. Ransom. FWIW, it took me about 48 hours to forget the heat beating from the end of July trip.

Great photos, thanks for sharing!

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    There's only two things you need to be a Grand Canyon Canyoneer.

The first, and probably the most important is a short memory, so you don't remember the suffering from your last trip, and the vow you made to God that if he let you out, you would never go back again.

Tom
    Classic!

Dan, fantastic as always. 14 miles in and 12 out??? Dang.. I would be wondering if the bang was worth the buck for sure.
    Life is Good

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card View Post
    Classic!

Dan, fantastic as always. 14 miles in and 12 out??? Dang.. I would be wondering if the bang was worth the buck for sure.
    yep. you could do it in a single overnight if you were fast... we took two nights. and i suppose the the bang is only worth the buck if it really is pretty enough to warrant it. hard to tell people if it is or isn't. but it's a true wilderness slot, very remote with no trail the entire way, and probably less than 10 people have ever been in it. plus, it's friggin' beautiful. in singular beauty, it's up there with the best i've ever seen. but, it's a long haul, and the slot is short. welcome to the GC!

i might do it again. but i might not.

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeyBiggs View Post
    there is another canyon that is much easier to get to, and is longer, and possibly even more beautiful than this that has slots in 3 different rock layers (redwall, temple butte, muav). and it's bolted... it's called 150 mile, and it would be a great intro canyon to the white marble slots in the redwall. you have to be able to jug to get out though. but really, all the good redwall slots are pretty amazing, just a lot of work to get to, by utah standards.
    150 Mile is on my to do list. I need to get a packraft so I can add Matkat and Pamenta to the trip.