Thread: S. Utah suggstns for hiking/photo/water/slot opprtunities

S. Utah suggstns for hiking/photo/water/slot opprtunities

First post - seems to be a wonderful, knowledgable group.. Looking for ideas for a solo road trip about 1st week of Oct - primaraly a photographer, but lover of the desert also.. Never been to a 'slot canyon' and pretty much the reason I'm heading to Ut - Looking for some water(falls?), shallow rivers, canyons, and easy to moderate hikes - and awesome sights that couldn't be seen anywhere else.... Still in pretty good shape, but 65 years has put some weight on this old frame, so nothing technical anymore.. Former Ranger, so have some rapelling knowledge, but since I'm going to be alone, I dont' want to be stupid about it.. Appears I'll have about 6-10 days to roam the areas, but since this is 1st trip, want the best of the sights instead of spending most of the time in my truck, looking for tourist signs.. A question: I have the back of my truck fixed for sleeping - do I have to seek out an organized campsite, or is truck camping OK most anywhere? - Dont mind campsites, just dont' like company / noise. Schools back in, so I imagine there wouldnt' be too many campers anyway, however I also don't want to be suprized at 2:00am by a Park Ranger telling me to move on....

Any suggestions? - In reading some great posts, I've made notes of the Escalante area, a couple sights in Arches, and Little Wildhorse Canyon.. Any other ideas for a weeks getaway? - Will initially be taking the freeway down from Idaho. Here's some pic's of my truck that I just modified for inpromptu sleeping situations.. originally sent to a friend fo mine, so you can just ignore the notes if you want....

Name:  Truck 6..jpg
Views: 297
Size:  58.6 KB
    Name:  Truck 14..jpg
Views: 296
Size:  64.8 KB

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Blog Entries
    How many miles would you like to do in a day/or are planning for?

Lower Calf Creek Falls in Escalante is a must for sure as a photographer IMO.
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

No quota ... If I see something beautiful, I have no problem with staying for a sunset and then a sunrise.. If I have to drive a couple hundred miles between "Awsome-ness", then I can do that also... I'll certainly put your suggestion on my list - appreciate it !!

r

There are plenty of nice hikes with slots off Hole in the Rock Road. Many are non technical and very nice!

There's campsites pretty much anywhere you want to park. As long as you're not at a trailhead, you're not going to be disturbed by rangers- and even then it's hit and miss.

Hit up Willis Creek for a slot with water going down it. Then drive down the Skutumpah road a little further to Bull Valley Gorge. The truck stuck in the slot is pretty cool. They put the road right over the top of it.

Slots off of the Hole in the Rock road are pretty good.

Comb Ridge could be good.

The San Rafael Swell surely has some photogenic spots too.

The geysers just south of Green River can be very photogenic as well.

Have you been to the National Parks in Utah? I mean bang for your buck.... and in October many of them mid week wont be insanely busy...

Never been before, and I live only about 7 hrs from most of them !! - That's why I'm looking for the best of the best for the first trip.. I'm retired, so I have no time limits - My wife runs a In-Home day care with 12 kids, so ............... the longer the better ,, !!

First week of Oct. is still pretty busy in the tourist hot spots, in my opinion. I think Escalante is a great spot to find what you want. As JMan suggested, Calf Creek has some nice stuff, very photogenic. So is a hike down the Escalante from the town trailhead or bridge, my most recent TR for that can be found here: http://backcountrypost.com/?p=141. Willis Creek is an awesome, easy access slot too, went there in January: http://backcountrypost.com/?p=72.

More great stuff and the best primitive car camping can be found down Hole-in-the-Rock Road. Hike down Willow Gulch and take a side trip up Forty Mile. Even if you don't go up Forty Mile, Willow Gulch itself is awesome all the way to the confluence, and you get to see Broken Bow Arch which is only 2+ or so miles from the trailhead. Check out my trip report from there earlier this year here: http://backcountrypost.com/?p=775

If you haven't read Photographing the Southwest: vol. 1 by Laurent Martres, you probably should. His southwest series is very well done, with lots of hints about viewpoints and time of day about a great many of the most popular spots in southern Utah. Well worth it.

I agree with Escalante.

For photography, hit Calf Creek Falls (both), Zebra Slot (short, but good photo opportunities)/Big Horn, Peekaboo/Spooky/Brimstone and maybe Neon/Ringtail (longer hike-maybe just Neon).

All are popular, but very photogenic in a small area. All are easy to get to.

There are many other good ones in the area, but the above are some of most accessible.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Kanarra Creek is a beautiful slot canyon with small but cool waterfalls and amazing colors. It's a relatively short hike and requires no technical gear. Only problem is it can be crowded sometimes. If you find yourself in the Cedar City area this slot is definitely worth the trouble IMO.

-Brian