Thread: Photo rights ACA photo contest

Photo rights ACA photo contest

I received a message from a friend today with a link to a canyoneering seminar and book signing for Todd Martins Grand Canyon Guidebook. My friend said the picture looked like one I had printed on several T-shirts so I checked it out and sure enough the flyer uses a photo shopped version of my original photo.

I had entered the photo in an ACA photo contest a few years ago and apparently I didn't read the fine print. Many of you more savvy canyoneers may already know this but when you enter an ACA photo contest you are surrendering your ownership rights to the ACA.

I don't have sour grapes and I am flattered they like my picture but I just wanted to make it public knowledge to those those who don't read the fine print.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

If you think Todd is using your photo on a flyer, you should talk to him about it. The ACA did not provide any photos to Todd. Are you absolutely sure it is yours? Or just one that looks like yours? Seems odd that Todd would use someone else's photos when he has so many of his own.

Nobody surrenders ownership rights to photos when they enter an ACA photo contest. What fine print?

It is fairly common for magazines and newspapers to contact us asking permission to use photos that appear on our site. When they do, I put them in touch with the photographer directly. I have never been contacted by anyone asking permission to use photos for any other purpose, including flyers.
    Rich Carlson, Instructor
    YouTube Channel: CanyonsCrags

If the ACA doesn't have fine print then they are above the crowd. Everyone should approach all photo contests with the expectation that they are acquiring usage rights in the process unless proven otherwise. Most of the time they just want to be allowed to publish the winner and will give credit, but their fine print usually gives them the right to use the entries however they want. Sometimes the fine print even states that entrants are giving up their own rights to use the photos.

Rich,
    My apologies. The ACA photo contest form I was reading was not the American Canyoneering Association. This was a Hasty and embarassing mistake. I am 100% sure the photo is mine but made the connection to the ACA because the photo contest was the only time I could think of that I have shared the photo online. Also you and Rich Rudow have the same first name. Again a hasty and careless mistake. I did not mean to tarnish the reputation of you, the ACA, Rich Rudow or Todd Martin. Apparently the flyer was made by a student at Mesa Community College who found the photo through an internet search and I have resolved the issue with him. Please accept my apology for the false accusation.

Sincerly,
    David Thomas

No worries, David. Simple misunderstanding.
    Rich Carlson, Instructor
    YouTube Channel: CanyonsCrags