Thread: Kolob Creek and/or Boundary Conditions

Kolob Creek and/or Boundary Conditions

Planning on either Kolob or Boundary on Friday the 23rd. Any one know current conditions? Looks like most canyons are full of water and I do not want to attempt Kolob if the flow is high.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fallen Engle View Post
    Planning on either Kolob or Boundary on Friday the 23rd. Any one know current conditions? Looks like most canyons are full of water and I do not want to attempt Kolob if the flow is high.
    You find the flow in Kolob by calling the water district - 435-673-3617 during banking hours. It is required you do this to obtain your permit. If the dam is not releasing, there will be about 1/2 cfs of flow in the canyon.

Boundary is likely flowing 1-2 cfs.

Tom

Thanks,

I did call prior to my post. The lady that answered wouldn't tell me the flow rate. She said they had no way of measuring it and that their official position is that no one should do Kolob Creek. But she did say they were not planning on releasing any water from the dam but to call on Thursday to make sure.

So which canyon do you suggest, kolob or boundary? I haven't done either.

Thanks,

I did call prior to my post. The lady that answered wouldn't tell me the flow rate. She said they had no way of measuring it and that their official position is that no one should do Kolob Creek. But she did say they were not planning on releasing any water from the dam but to call on Thursday to make sure.
    Kolob is a longer day but more and IMO cooler rappels. Boundary is a lot of fun and not quite as long of a day. pick your poison. Both are pretty sweet. The MIA sucks either way. If you're confident you won't have trouble with the MIA exit then I'd do Kolob. Nice thing about boundary is you don't need permits...
    - Gavin

Having recently had the experience of the MIA for the first time, I would definitely strongly encourage every effort toward an early enough start that you have a significant chunk of daylight left when you start the MIA. I had very experienced leadership, we didn't waste much time, and from a 5:30 or 6:00 start of the climb we got to the cars at the west rim as the evening went black. I would not want to try any of that for the first time without good light!

Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by The Good Cop View Post
    Having recently had the experience of the MIA for the first time, I would definitely strongly encourage every effort toward an early enough start that you have a significant chunk of daylight left when you start the MIA. I had very experienced leadership, we didn't waste much time, and from a 5:30 or 6:00 start of the climb we got to the cars at the west rim as the evening went black. I would not want to try any of that for the first time without good light!

Wayne
    LOL! I can't help but laugh when I read this post. I recall my first encounter with the MIA exit was every bit the nightmare every guidebook describes it to be.

It was late in the year and after getting an early start and doing Boundary we found ourselves at the MIA exit ( the exit that never tops out). we reached the top of the first section without much problem then the snow hit. What a long climb in wet slippery snow. When we finally hit the trail at the top it was by headlamp route finding ( and I use this term lightly)the wrong direction an hour out of the way through the maze of trails/roads. We finally made it to the car exhausted, soaking wet and hiking through 6" of snow only to discover our 2 wheel drive car would not make it back up the snow covered dirt road. All in all a 16 hour day. I suppose in the end although rough at the time this type of "adventure" is the whole reason we do canyons in the first place.

Blog Entries
    For those unfamiliar with the MIA exit, Tom does a good job of explaining it on his website (nice plug, eh?), plus a few pics.
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Quote Originally Posted by jman View Post
    For those unfamiliar with the MIA exit, Tom does a good job of explaining it on his website (nice plug, eh?), plus a few pics.
    Thanks Jman. I would suggest Boundary as your first canyon up there, out the MIA. It requires less than Kolob, less rope, less time, less effort, thus allowing one to experience the MIA while fresh. An early start is recommened, aided by staying up at Lava Point. And early start does not mean hitting the first rap at 2:30 pm. That time of year, walking at first light is a very good idea. Be sure everyone has a headlamp, with new batteries. And be sure YOU have a trail-finding headlamp, like a Petal Mio.

From the top of the MIA, a more-direct line can be taken to the top, information available here:

Back to the West Rim Trailhead

From the top of the MIA Route, once on the logging road, turn left (south) and hike about 1000 feet (300 m) to a picnic area with water coming from a pipe. This is the Pipe Spring. Hike the road heading uphill behind the spring 365 feet, then turn 90 degrees right and charge up the hillside, following a somewhat overgrown two-track. Follow this up, then right to the actual source of the spring. Then follow the roads (generally north and west, but always up) to the West Rim Trailhead. Allow an hour for the MIA Route and an hour for the roadwalk back to the Trailhead. First time MIA'ers are likely to take longer.

Which need to be edited. One and a half hours for the MIA and one hour for the roadwalk is pretty much my standard time.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Bshelton View Post
    LOL! I can't help but laugh when I read this post. I recall my first encounter with the MIA exit was every bit the nightmare every guidebook describes it to be.

It was late in the year and after getting an early start and doing Boundary we found ourselves at the MIA exit ( the exit that never tops out). we reached the top of the first section without much problem then the snow hit. What a long climb in wet slippery snow. When we finally hit the trail at the top it was by headlamp route finding ( and I use this term lightly)the wrong direction an hour out of the way through the maze of trails/roads. We finally made it to the car exhausted, soaking wet and hiking through 6" of snow only to discover our 2 wheel drive car would not make it back up the snow covered dirt road. All in all a 16 hour day. I suppose in the end although rough at the time this type of "adventure" is the whole reason we do canyons in the first place.
    Yikes! Quite a story!

My first MIA exit, 2 weeks ago, was made sooo much better because I was following the master, ratagonia. Knowing exactly where we were going made the MIA, if not enjoyable, at least not as bad as I feared. But that road hike is a HECK of a slog...

Ended up doing Boundary all the way to the Temple. Hit the trail at 6 am and came out at 5 pm. Way to much "narrow" hiking for me. But got up the next day and did Fat Man's Misery. And today I can't move. The older I get the longer the recovery but its always well worth it.

Ended up doing Boundary all the way to the Temple. Hit the trail at 6 am and came out at 5 pm. Way to much "narrow" hiking for me. But got up the next day and did Fat Man's Misery. And today I can't move. The older I get the longer the recovery but its always well worth it.
    Good on ya! Tom

Some people "go" through life and other people "grow" through life. -Robert Holden

Quote Originally Posted by TNugent View Post
    Any flow in Boundary or Kolob?
    Yeah, but very little.

Yeah, but very little.
    It might help to clarify "very little".

My experience is that even very little flow makes those canyons cold cold cold, and communications difficult, and increases the potential for ropework problems.

Here are pics from early September last year: http://www.canyoneeringusa.com/rave/1009bound/index.htm

I would consider the flow as shown "medium". It is a small canyon. I would expect much the same this year, now.

Tom

Way less flow then then those pictures. Only our feet got wet on the first set of raps.

One of the most miserable times I've ever had was doing Kolob the first time the 2nd week of October. Miserably cold, snow flurries on the hike out, what I've now learned was about -4 cfs (at the time I figured it was 1-2). We were all almost instantly hypothermic (sp?). There was a strong wind blowing once we finished the last rap that seemed to just follow us. We wondered all over the place going up the MIA and then again all over the place on the roads. Got back way into the night (the MIA roads are nice in the moonlight but surprisingly slippery and heel mud building when wet) and literally just slept in the jeep for a few hours before attempting to drive back to Vegas. We ended up having to switch drivers and stop almost every 30 minutes since everyone was so tired.

Good times!
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

Quote Originally Posted by nelsonccc View Post
    was about -4 cfs
    Four cfs going UP canyon? That's CrAzY!!!

Tom