Thread: First snow for 11/12 on Mt Baldy, Little Cottonwood Canyon 9/17/2011! Stoked!

First snow for 11/12 on Mt Baldy, Little Cottonwood Canyon 9/17/2011! Stoked!

We got our first snow of the season up Little Cottonwood Canyon last night. Woke up to frosty white peaks up LCC. Stoked! Won't be long now!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

i give it 6 more weeks now with all this premature excitement. sorry dude.

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeyBiggs View Post
    i give it 6 more weeks now with all this premature excitement. sorry dude.
    I don't know, our first snow last year that accumulated was Oct 20th, I was hiking for turns Halloween weekend 2010.

Last nights cold front is more than a month earlier than last season. Colorado, and the Sierra and the Cascades all got a dusting too. La Nina is gonna give us a round two this year, and back to back La Nina events typically are near identical. I say we at least do 600" up LCC this year. I got my Bird pass this past week, I know I am ready. This summer has been kind of a wash for me because of the late snowpack and my wifes unfortunate L5/S1 injury that required surgery. For sure did not get out as much as I would have liked, but am grateful for the trips I did get.

Still got some great fall hiking and Southern Utah in the fall is awesome as well. I got a few more trips through October planned before I pull out the boards and boots. I say we have ridable snow by the first part of November. Possibly earlier from the long range forecasts I have seen. November looks to be a pretty severe winter event.

So I would agree, 5-6 weeks and the Cottonwoods will be in full on winter mode. Sorry If my excitement is premature in your view, but I love snowboarding. Not for the hype or the fashion or the popularity thing, I do it for the exploration of self and mountain. Snowboarding is part of my life and always will be.

i'm betting on 8 weeks now. keep it up, and it will be december before you get any turns...

Oh really.............

This shot was of Hidden Peak in the AM today.

Name:  297793_101503708765&.jpg
Views: 340
Size:  30.0 KB

yep. october and november are gonna suck now. karma's a bitch.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Nebz View Post
    I got a few more trips through October planned before I pull out the boards and boots. I say we have ridable snow by the first part of November. Possibly earlier from the long range forecasts I have seen. November looks to be a pretty severe winter event.
    What do you mean "pull out the boards and boots?" I still haven't put mine away!

August 25th, 2011 Main Chute, Mt. Baldy, Alta, UT

Name:  DSCF5681..jpg
Views: 333
Size:  76.5 KB
    Name:  DSCF5684..jpg
Views: 375
Size:  96.2 KB
    Name:  DSCF5687..jpg
Views: 342
Size:  96.7 KB
    Name:  DSCF5689..jpg
Views: 331
Size:  85.5 KB

The hike down is always sketchier than the hike up at that time of year!

Name:  DSCF5688..jpg
Views: 436
Size:  153.2 KB

Maybe the extra snow will make finding my September day easier! Was dreading hiking Timp with skis on my back...

Quote Originally Posted by skiclimb3287 View Post
    What do you mean "pull out the boards and boots?" I still haven't put mine away!
    Awesome!

I rode from Oct 2010 to July 2011, since I like to do other things, I figured at that point I could save myself for next season. I love all four seasons, and I think I had more winter last season then I ever have before. I am grateful for the days I got last year, which were the best ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Nebz View Post
    Awesome!

I rode from Oct 2010 to July 2011, since I like to do other things, I figured at that point I could save myself for next season. I love all four seasons, and I think I had more winter last season then I ever have before. I am grateful for the days I got last year, which were the best ever.
    I also began my season in Oct 2010. I have been wanting to hit a full year for awhile now and figured this to be my best chance to do it. Just 1 more month! Although, since I do many other things in the summer, I keep having trouble finding the day to get out. The August day was the evening right before I flew to NY. I wasn't going to be back in town until labor day so it was then or never. I darted out of work at 5 pm, headed straight for Alta, threw my pack on my back and practically sprinted up the cat road so that I would be back down before dark. Didn't quite make it, but at least was back on the cat road before dark! Good times

i am hoping for snow in late Dec....

Two wheels are better than four, keep the rubber side down.

Tomorrow is supposed to be near 90 along the Wasatch Front. If SLC does hit 90, it will be tie for the latest 90 degree temperature ever in recorded history.

Another interesting record is that so far this year the coldest SLC has gotten this September is 51F. Since records were first taken and dating back to 1847, September has always dropped into the 40's or lower. Since records began, the coolest temperature recorded in all Septembers in SLC have been between 27F (1965) and 48F (1990 and 1994). June has never even had a year that hasn't dropped to at least 50F.

Here where I live we had out latest first frost since we've lived here (it wasn't until Sept 21). Alta still hasn't had an official frost yet (highly unusual).

Cold weather is certainly taking its time this year.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post
    Cold weather is certainly taking its time this year.
    Looks like the wait is gonna be over. Get out your warm stuff, temps are gonna dip starting Wednesday night.

Forecast for Snowbird Below Starting Wednesday Night:

Wednesday Night: Rain showers and snow likely. Snow level 9900 feet lowering to 9300 feet after midnight . Mostly cloudy and breezy, with a low around 25.

Thursday: Snow likely. Cloudy, with a high near 43.

Thursday Night: Snow likely. Cloudy, with a low around 24.

Friday: Snow showers likely. Cloudy, with a high near 37.

Link: http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick...1.65444&zone=1