Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Rangers Find Injured Man Crawling Across Desert Near Bluejohn

No matter how careful we are, unpredictable things happen. That's why you either need to tell someone where you're going, or avoid everything that has even the slightest potential to be a problem. Which, in a canyon, is everything.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wasatchghost View Post
    No matter how careful we are, unpredictable things happen. That's why you either need to tell someone where you're going, or avoid everything that has even the slightest potential to be a problem. Which, in a canyon, is everything.
    Or be capable of dealing. Which, I rave, is a better long-term solution.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by ghawk View Post
    Fair enough. I think being as safe as possible is the way to be. What that means to each person and each situation is different based on experience, skills, location, length of trip, type of trip etc... I just want to make sure that having various emergency plans, including a person to call SAR at an arranged upon time, isn't seen negatively by the community. It shouldn't be a crutch for less experienced canyoneers to lean on as they attempt out-of-their-league canyons, but I believe it should be part of all of our plans when possible.
    Excellent. I agree it is a good thing to do.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    Or be capable of dealing. Which, I rave, is a better long-term solution.

Tom
    So you are trained and capable of dealing with all unforeseen circumstances?

WOW!!! I don't know why you even bother to pack a wet suit as you can obviously walk on water.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    So you are trained and capable of dealing with all unforeseen circumstances?

WOW!!! I don't know why you even bother to pack a wet suit as you can obviously walk on water.
    You otta try that sometime, Ice. The being capable part, not the walking on water part.

I can turn wine into water as well. Easier with beer.

Tom

i love it when you are filling out a permit request and they ask for an emergency number. i always put down 911. i mean what good is going to do to call my mom? she doesn't know squat about first aid.
    But if I agreed with you, we would both be wrong.

Geez, how much hand holding do people need. Do what is right for you, carry a spot, a sat phone whatever. Wear body armor if you want. I don't carry any of that crap but a fair amount of camera gear. Years ago I put on a very light pack and went out into the desert without a map, without researching the area, without supplies. I stayed a few days. I looked at the sun and moon for my guidance and looked at the lay of the land for my travel and water. Ya know what, I am still here today. And so did our ancestors, who had none of this stuff and still stayed around to pass on the genes to all of us. I hope they had more common sense than we seem to.
    You can rest when you're dead

Quote Originally Posted by denaliguide View Post
    i love it when you are filling out a permit request and they ask for an emergency number. i always put down 911. i mean what good is going to do to call my mom? she doesn't know squat about first aid.

I have always been of the opinion that someone should know where I intend to be to the best of my ability. While I may not know my exact itinerary, I can usually, at the very least, give an area, day of entry, and the planned day of exit. I will only leave this plan with someone who I trust to not call the cavalry out when I am 2 hours late or even 12 hours late. I certainly have made the decision many times to enjoy where I was for an additional day. Generally, my rule is don't call anyone until I don't show up for work. That may be 3 days after my planned return, but this is where I agree fully with Tom. My golden rule is to not go somewhere where I can get myself into a situation I can not get myself out of. If I break an ankle (been there), a leg, or other bone, can I make it out without SAR needing to be called? Yes. Will I go explore an area I have never been and know nothing about? Certainly, but at this point that would not be a technical slot. I have enough skills to get myself through a well-beta'd canyon, but I definitely don't know enough to decend blindly. Sure, crap happens, but I do everything I can to stack the odds in my favor. The worst thing I could dream of happening to me in the backcountry is having to call SAR to pick up my sorry ass.

I guess to sum that up, I agree with both sides here. Leave as best a plan you can with someone who is not trigger happy, but at the same time, ensure you have the skills that allow you to "be capable of dealing."

YMMV

A SOPT is essential equipment for me and has saved my life in the past. If I didn't carry one my wife would have killed me many times over!

A week ago while doing Little Blue John I encountered a middle aged couple in the wash before the first downclimb. They were on vacation to Utah and no one knew of their canyon plans, to top it off they thought they were in the wash before The Main Fork and had no idea that Little Blue John even existed. Neither had canyoneering experience and they had a crappy map.

Canyoneering is inherently risky and telling someone your plans or even just what canyons you are considering takes very little effort.

Quote Originally Posted by denaliguide View Post
    Many years back, before cell phones were common, a daycare employee wanted to know my pager/cell # to call in case of an emergency involving my son. I had none. They were shocked that I couldn't be contacted if something life threatening came up. I told them that if they needed to call me to ask what to do when my son needed life-saving urgent care that perhaps this wasn't the best place for him to stay.
    It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life. - Ten Bears, "The Outlaw Josie Wales"

Quote Originally Posted by Swamp Thing View Post
    A SOPT is essential equipment for me and has saved my life in the past. If I didn't carry one my wife would have killed me many times over!
    What is an SOPT? Sounds like it might be useful.

Tom

Tom

Won't work for you Tom - you need to have a wife.
    Some people "go" through life and other people "grow" through life. -Robert Holden

Would you take more risks if at any time during the trip you could call in SAR? In the Swiss Alps you can, and I believe because of that people end up taking more risks. I have seen a helicopter lift a skier with a badly hurt leg off a mountain when he was surrounded by ten plus other backcountry skiers. They could have easily gotten him off as it wasn’t a difficult ski tour.

In the US we have an ethic of getting yourself off the mountain. That ethic is partly due to necessity. We often do not have cell coverage and cannot call in SAR. The cell phone revolution is the biggest threat to the self rescue ethic.

Tom
    It does sound like something more useful than a SPOT. How about a Simple Operation Pointing Thingy.

SOPT from the Urban dictionary

(to) sopt = to do smth. really great, like the best thing in the world. Like really aweful cool. Yes, I mean it. Like the superbest thing you have done so far. Or like the best thing you could imagine.

Never heard it used.

Or

SOPT Serum Glutamic Oxaloacetic Transaminase

The Spot may be good for the spouse. If you really wanted to be communicating with your spouse, would you be down in a canyon? Just saying. But let's get real, a PLB is what you need if you want actual help, IMO.

Ken

The main message I got from 127h was "don't be an idiot and wander off into the desert alone." If that movie really is what inspired this guy to go to bluejohn, he would have had to make a conscious decision not to tell anyone.

"Those who trade liberty for security deserve neither." - Benjamin Franklin.

That being said, it seems awful strange to me that he almost seemed to idolize Ralston and ended up following in his footsteps, just couldn't get a boulder to roll. Maybe he was jumping on one when he fell the ten feet. I wonder if Aron knows he has a stalker. And he should have told someone where he's going. I agree, he'd almost have had to make a conscious decision to re-enact "127 Hours".