Thread: Moose Encounter on Sardine Peak Trail

Moose Encounter on Sardine Peak Trail

It was getting a little dark, the sun had set, and I'm BLAZING down the trail trying to catch Jed. Flying through the thick trees, then all of a sudden this small clearing maybe 20' wide comes up quick on my right, and a dark figure standing right next to the trail.

OK, so it's actually common to see a moose, in fact probably THIS moose a few times, on the trails up near Snowbasin. This was on the Sardine Peak trail tonight.

This was the closest I've come to a Bull moose though. I had the camera filming the bike frame, aiming down on the suspension when I cruised by this dude as he was taking a sip in this small clearing. @jinx had cruised on buy not noticing, but when I passed him he wasn't more than 10' off the trail.

I stopped 20' passed him, jumped off the bike and scrambled to unmount the camera, by the time I walked back towards him he was starting to get spooked a bit and make his way back into the trees.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nice! I never stop when I see moose on the trail, too many close calls for me to take a chance, or I am just a big pussy? I actually havent seen on actually on the trails for about two years? I hear all the rustling in the bushes but never stop so I am sure that they are looking at me whizz by. WIth all the bear sightings in the Ogden area and my great luck it would probably be a bear that I spooked..

Two wheels are better than four, keep the rubber side down.

Quote Originally Posted by live2ride View Post
    Nice! I never stop when I see moose on the trail, too many close calls for me to take a chance, or I am just a big pussy? I actually havent seen on actually on the trails for about two years? I hear all the rustling in the bushes but never stop so I am sure that they are looking at me whizz by. WIth all the bear sightings in the Ogden area and my great luck it would probably be a bear that I spooked..
    I'm with you. I have had a rather tense experience with a moose in the past and it is not something I am looking to repeat. I try to give them a wide berth.

I figure if I start playing with their young offspring while in sight of the mother, it might get me on her good side.

I haven't seen one since earlier this summer, a she moose on the Last Chance trail. I usually don't stop and say hi, I just ride on.

man i just posted a link to a KSL article that a bear snatched a goat in Mtn Green, sure as hell hope I don't run into a hungry bear at basin...

Two wheels are better than four, keep the rubber side down.