Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about travel to and camping near the White Pocket area of Vermillion Cliffs

Question about travel to and camping near the White Pocket area of Vermillion Cliffs

I'm in the process of planning a trip from Atlanta to death Valley and then southern Utah and northern Arizona next spring (March/April).

The primary goal is photography and I'd like to spend some time in the White Pocket area. I have an FJ Cruiser with OME lift and an AT Chaser trailer and was wondering about places to camp in the area. It would be nice to be as close as possible to minimize driving time to get there for sunrise, etc.

I'm also going to try and get permits for the Wave then too, so any suggestions on places to camp near there would be great as well.

Thanks.
    Charlie...
    Stalking Light

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I think the trailer could be a major issue out there. You really have to fly through a lot of that sand, especially where all the big holes are from people getting stuck over the years. It can be quite the wild ride, shit was flying all over the place in my Tacoma. If I were you, I would setup camp closer to the Red Pocket area and leave the trailer there. The FJ, properly driven, with the proper recovery tools, should be fine.

As for The Wave, there are some spots along House Rock Road including the Stateline CG. They're pretty easy to spot with Google Earth.

Thanks. I was wondering about the trailer, I expect your advice about not pulling it through the sand is great advice. As far as recovery tools, I don't have a winch but I do have a shovel and some Bushranger Xtrax - would that be sufficient? The FJ has Atrac and the factory rear locker.

If the ride is that wild I might have to leave my wife behind too. :)

Thanks again.
    Charlie...
    Stalking Light

Those Xtrax look sweet. I assume you'll also have a compressor and be able to drop your pressure if needed? You could probably take it a little slower if you did. I made it out there and back at full pressure but I just barely made it up the big hill coming back out of White Pocket. The only thing I carry beyond that stuff is a Come Along Winch and some 3' concrete stakes. I figure I could use it to make an anchor and at least get some good pressure in the right direction if I needed to. Largely motivated by my incident in the Swell last year.

Trip report here: http://backcountrypost.com/?p=135

One more thing. I'm heading out there again in a couple of months. I'll definitely be posting a trip report with a good description of conditions so keep an eye out for it in late Nov, early Dec.

Quote Originally Posted by ibenick View Post
    One more thing. I'm heading out there again in a couple of months. I'll definitely be posting a trip report with a good description of conditions so keep an eye out for it in late Nov, early Dec.
    Super, I will keep my eye open. Thanks for all the info.

From your picture I'd say that meets the classic definition of stuck.

I do have a compressor, forgot to mention that. I don't have bead locks but figure I can do OK at around 20# for offroad/sand.
    Charlie...
    Stalking Light

As long as you keep your speed up fairly well, you should have no problems. I've been out to White Pocket many times, and I drive a full size 4x4 stock Silverado. The sand can be a bitch, but in the spring time it's usually fairly cool and damp which will help tremendously. There is only one real tough spot and that's the big hill ibenick mentioned. Just get a decent running start and keep it in 1st gear so your FJ doesn't shift. Some people recommend 4 low, but i like 4 hi and just keeping it in first gear. I also suggest ditching the trailer closer to House Rock Valley Road.

Quote Originally Posted by akavalun View Post
    As long as you keep your speed up fairly well, you should have no problems. I've been out to White Pocket many times, and I drive a full size 4x4 stock Silverado. The sand can be a bitch, but in the spring time it's usually fairly cool and damp which will help tremendously. There is only one real tough spot and that's the big hill ibenick mentioned. Just get a decent running start and keep it in 1st gear so your FJ doesn't shift. Some people recommend 4 low, but i like 4 hi and just keeping it in first gear. I also suggest ditching the trailer closer to House Rock Valley Road.
    Thanks, sounds like I'll need to find a camp spot before I hit the sand for sure. Looking forward to exploring the area.
    Charlie...
    Stalking Light

Maybe I'll be visiting White Pocket during my holiday in October.
    I'm still doubting whether to go there or not because of the sandy 'roads'......
    I'll post feedback and info about the roads if I go there!

grtz!

Thanks maarten, looking forward to your TR. If you decide you want a guide, a photographer I know, Tony Sweet, recommends Charly at overlandcanyontours.com. I have not personally used them.
    Charlie...
    Stalking Light

Quote Originally Posted by cchoc View Post
    If you decide you want a guide, a photographer I know, Tony Sweet, recommends Charly at overlandcanyontours.com. I have not personally used them.
    I was just checking out how much it would cost to have a guided trip, but I found on their internet site they no longer do the White Pocket tour.....

Quote Originally Posted by maarten.1975 View Post
    I was just checking out how much it would cost to have a guided trip, but I found on their internet site they no longer do the White Pocket tour.....
    Interesting. I wonder why they stopped?
    Charlie...
    Stalking Light

I've driven out to White pocket twice and both spots at S.Coyote Buttes. I usually base camp at Stateline CG (closer to the Wave). If you wanted to overnite at either, you could just pack a bag and a cooler and sleep in the car for early and late shots or bring a tent. Obviously if you do Paw Hole or Cottonwood Cove in the S Coyote Buttes you have a map so you aren't parked in actual wilderness (BLM do Patrol the area). White pocket you could camp by the parking. I would not come up the Pawhole route to get there, steeper hills and some sand traps. Coming back down it should not be a problem. Agree that the hill coming out of WP is the main culprit. I run my Tahoe in 4wd low in 2nd, and never stop unless it feels solid. The hill shouldn't be a problem if you keep momentum. Softening tires to 20 or so can be helpful. By the way S. Coyote has more formations than the Wave and is a much easier permit to score. Since you're going to WP you might as well do Cottonwood Cove. You won't regret it!
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Great images powderglut, and thanks for the info as well. really looking forward to the trip.
    Charlie...
    Stalking Light

I was just out there on Thursday.....at the intersection near Poverty Ranch I came across a couple from Switzerland in a rental Dodge Dakota stuck in the sand and trying to dig out by hand. We checked out their vehicle and 4x4 was not working.....only the rear tires were spinning....in both high and low range. I winched them out of the deep sand they were in and helped them get turned around....then followed them out to a good road....just in case.
    Randy Langstraat
    ADVENTR.CO | Anasazi Photography

Quote Originally Posted by IntrepidXJ View Post
    I was just out there on Thursday.....at the intersection near Poverty Ranch I came across a couple from Switzerland in a rental Dodge Dakota stuck in the sand and trying to dig out by hand. We checked out their vehicle and 4x4 was not working.....only the rear tires were spinning....in both high and low range. I winched them out of the deep sand they were in and helped them get turned around....then followed them out to a good road....just in case.
    Bonus points for that one! You made that Swiss couples trip. Good effort!
    I got a wave permit for Thu Oct 20. Finally!! Hope the weather settles down. I can't wait for another visit to Cottonwood Cove though... Definitely won't happen on this trip.

Thanks Randy and good job helping out. I'll definitely make sure my 4wd and rear locker are functioning properly before I head out that way.
    Charlie...
    Stalking Light

Hey Charlie just got a tiny peak at your work. I'll be looking it over this evening. Sweet! I got a lot of learning to do!

Quote Originally Posted by powderglut View Post
    Hey Charlie just got a tiny peak at your work. I'll be looking it over this evening. Sweet! I got a lot of learning to do!
    Thanks for the compliment. Learning is something we are all doing all the time I hope. ;-)
    Charlie...
    Stalking Light

Quote Originally Posted by maarten.1975 View Post
    Maybe I'll be visiting White Pocket during my holiday in October.
    I'm still doubting whether to go there or not because of the sandy 'roads'......
    Please don't wait for my feedback....
    After I've been traveling for about 2 weeks with my rental car, I decided not to go there with this one. High clearance is 'semi-high', 4WD does work I think, however it makes strange noises every now and then. And the tires are regular road-tires at the end of their lives.... profile is beyond half gone.

I don't want to end up like the Swiss couple described above..... hoping somebody as helpfull as IntrepidXJ might pass by and help me out. Good luck if you are going there, and be carefull.