Thread: Ouray Canyoneering

Ouray Canyoneering

Cliff and I haven't been to the Colorado canyons yet, so we're trying to put something together. However, the soonest we could get a good multi-day trip would be the 19-22 of October. I will be ordering the ouray canyoneering book from Tom's site pretty soon but I checked some sample chapters and it said that the season is usually August-September. Any chance it will be any good/accessible/etc.. that far into October? We really want to get out there but if it's not going to happen we'll find another area and head to Colorado another time.
    thanks.
    - Gavin
    - Gavin

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

doubt it. that's pretty late. ouray canyons are almost all above 8,000 feet, and some are as high as 10,000. stuff is gonna start gettin' icy and cold in the next couple weeks. the season is pretty short there...

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeyBiggs View Post
    doubt it. that's pretty late. ouray canyons are almost all above 8,000 feet, and some are as high as 10,000. stuff is gonna start gettin' icy and cold in the next couple weeks. the season is pretty short there...
    hmmm, yeah I was worried about that. thanks. We'll shoot for something else then.
    - Gavin

The season is short, but it depends on the year! If it's a warmer year, you can still do canyons in October. We did Bear Creek on the first or second week of October last year because it happened to stay pretty warm. I had a 3 mm john and jacket. Check the weather! The canyons there are beautiful.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ewestesen View Post
    The season is short, but it depends on the year! If it's a warmer year, you can still do canyons in October. We did Bear Creek on the first or second week of October last year because it happened to stay pretty warm. I had a 3 mm john and jacket. Check the weather! The canyons there are beautiful.
    Sounds to me like it will be colder, which just means more rubber. The canyons are short, so the short days might not be much of a problem... As it gets closer you might call Bill Leo at Ouray Mountain Sports 970-325-4284 to check conditions. If it hasn't snowed up high, it seems like it could be AWESOME!!!

Tom

considering it snowed this weekend in the san juans, it's a safe bet that odds are much greater the canyons won't be in condition, rather than they are. you might luck out, but probably not...

we'll keep an eye on it. thanks for the feedback
    - Gavin