Thread: Garden Creek - Grand Canyon National Park

Garden Creek - Grand Canyon National Park

Rich Rudow near the top of the 350 foot waterfall rappel.

Garden Creek - GCNP

Something tells me this is going to be one of the most popular canyoneering trips in the entire Grand Canyon. It has it all. Easy access, a trail to the head of the slot, a trail from the exit. It’s day-trippable, requires no permit, has amazing Zoroaster narrows (pink granite!), and a perennial stream that creates some of the most idylllic waterfalls imaginable.

As part of our plans to get some nice class C video of slots in Grand Canyon, I met up with Rich, Slawa, Anna, Bill, and the Putzig crew at the South Rim Village. I’ve spent over 100 nights in the Grand Canyon backcountry, and this is my first time ever seeing the Village. Is it any wonder? The place is a total zoo. We had little desire to camp at Indian Gardens in the epicenter of the mayhem, so we headed off at 4am from the Bright Angel Trail, and arrived at the head of the slot shortly after sunrise. We had fantastic light all the way through the canyon, and we were able to set up a handful of great shots for the video.

However, it’s not all fun and games. The exit requires a 6 or 7 mile hike, and 4500 feet of vertical or so to get out. It’s a slog, but totally worth it. There’s no such thing as a casual canyon down here…

No doubt, this is one of the gems in Grand Canyon, and it will certainly see a lot more traffic in the future, especially with Todd’s new book finally available for purchase. You can get a copy of Grand Canyoneering here - http://www.toddshikingguide.com/Gran...ring/index.htm

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

so cool!!
    - Gavin

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    nice Dan, thanks for sharing...........

Excellent pics! I'll have to check this one out sometime.

This sealed the deal. Book ordered.
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

So the book is already on the way thanks to CUSA and Tom putting together a last minute order for me before leaving town.

I suppose I could wait and read the description.... but can't! How many stages is the 350' rap down the falls? That rap looks awesome, thanks for the pics!

too freakin cool!!!!!
    But if I agreed with you, we would both be wrong.

Great report!

Quote Originally Posted by Bshelton View Post
    So the book is already on the way thanks to CUSA and Tom putting together a last minute order for me before leaving town.

I suppose I could wait and read the description.... but can't! How many stages is the 350' rap down the falls? That rap looks awesome, thanks for the pics!
    we did it in one single 350 footer. there is a bolt midwall though, but the ledge is not very big. two people tops. it's about 200 feet down to the midwall station.

How much of these falls can be explored from the bottom? I will be rim to rim hiking next May with my Dad and sister, and would consider stopping by on the way up Bright Angel the second day. It looks like you might be able to scramble up quite a ways from the bottom. Also, how long of a detour are they off the BA trail? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by akavalun View Post
    How much of these falls can be explored from the bottom? I will be rim to rim hiking next May with my Dad and sister, and would consider stopping by on the way up Bright Angel the second day. It looks like you might be able to scramble up quite a ways from the bottom. Also, how long of a detour are they off the BA trail? Thanks!
    how good of a climber are you? you can get only to the bottom corkscrew section from the BA trail, and it is less than 10 minutes off the trail. there are a few challenging climbs though, might want a handline or somesuch for weaker climbers. all the beta is in Todd's book, it's easy enough.

Wow Dan, awesome, thanks for posting!

Wayne