Thread: Lance Armstrong to compete in Ogden Xterra

Lance Armstrong to compete in Ogden Xterra

I actually saw this photo on facebook from one of my contacts, Josh Mortensen, left. That wouldn't be a bad thing to meet Lance Armstrong on the mountain bike trail.

Name:  story-09-1a1-lanc&#10.jpg
Views: 1645
Size:  154.2 KB

Seven-time Tour de France winner Lance Armstrong is considering competing in the Xterra USA Championship on Sept. 24 at Snowbasin Ski Resort.
    In a surprise visit, Armstrong spent three hours at Snowbasin on Wednesday, scouting the course for the event.
    Armstrong biked along an 18-mile course from Pineview Reservoir to Snowbasin and then completed a six-mile trail run to help decide whether he will participate in the championship, said Mike Caldwell, founder and past president of the Ogden-based GOAL Foundation.
    The foundation is a sponsor for Xterra USA Championship, which consists of triathlon races that include swimming, mountain biking and trail running.
    Caldwell, who is also a candidate for Ogden mayor, said Armstrong's visit was not tied to his campaign and was arranged by TEAM Unlimited LLC, a Honolulu-based corporation that created Xterra.
    "If people think I have the pull to get him (Armstrong) here for a mayoral bid, that's absolutely hilarious," Caldwell said Thursday. "There is no way he would lend his name to that."
    In addition to Caldwell, others who joined Armstrong on the Xterra USA Championship course included professional triathlete Jimmy Riccitello and Steve Andrus, director of events at Snowbasin.
    Caldwell said it was a thrill to ride and run with Armstrong. "I was honored to participate."
    Caldwell said he was notified Monday by TEAM Unlimited officials that a famous, but unidentified, individual would be at Snowbasin on Wednesday to check out the Xterra course.
    Armstrong's plane touched down at Ogden-Hinckley Airport about 11:30 a.m. and departed around 4 p.m. Wednesday en route to Calgary, Canada, Caldwell said.
    Armstrong was spotted by several people as he biked at Snowbasin, but no one bothered him, Caldwell said.
    "He was impressed with how beautiful and pleasant the course was."
    It would be a major boost to have Armstrong participate in the upcoming Xterra USA Championship, Caldwell said.
    "If he participated, Ogden would be the first major venue to welcome Lance since his recent retirement." he said. "He hasn't made a decision, but we would love to host him."

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Looks photochopped to me. Just sayin'. If I saw Mr. Armstrong on the trail it would only be for the instant that he was passing me....
    So, Kid, you think you got what it takes to be a Punch King?

You look photoshopped

Sent from my Samsung Vibrant using Tapatalk

I wouldnt let him pass me and if he could....LOL..(okay "when he passed" if the trail was wide enough) I would yell, "now I know what Ullrich felt like" It sure would be fun to have the chance to have a cycling legend share the same trail in a non race setting then maybe you do have a chance to share a few moments with him on the trail.

Two wheels are better than four, keep the rubber side down.

ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    The one guy standing looks like a guy I went to high school with that works up at Snowbasin. Steve Andrus.

Lance was one of Tyler (my deceased hubby's) hero's. It would be cool to meet him. Sadly I won't make a reappearance at XTERRA this year. Work is to busy I was really looking forward to it.
    Chere'

your right it is Steve Andrus, he was up at basin haning with Juan Pelota.

Two wheels are better than four, keep the rubber side down.

The caption next to the photograph on the front page of the Friday, 9/9 Standard Examiner was:

(From left) Josh Mortensen, Mike Caldwell, seven-time Tour de France winner Lance Armstrong and Steve Andrus pose for a photo Wednesday while Armstrong takes a break from checking out the Xterra USA Championship course near Ogden. He is considering competing in the Sept. 24 race at Snowbasin. (Photo courtesy of Mike Caldwell)

The photo looks to me to be looking north at the bottom of Wheeler.
    Gene

Confirmed. Lance will compete in Ogden Xterra.

ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    Chere'

I was up there smoothing down the trail for Lance this week, skidding through the horse poop to level it all out and everything.