Thread: Broad Forks Twin Peaks hike time?

Broad Forks Twin Peaks hike time?

I'm considering hiking to the Broad Forks Twin Peaks summit next Saturday. I need to be back at the trailhead by 4 PM. Is it possible to do this hike in about 11 hours? (we'd be on the trail for sure by 5 AM). We are in pretty good shape (we run half marathons).

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Tis doable, in 11 hours for sure if you keep up a decent pace and nothing else happens of course ;)
    Tacoma Said - If Scott he asks you to go on a hike, ask careful questions like "Is it going to be on a trail?" "What are the chances it will kill me?" etc. Maybe "Will there be sack-biting ants along the way?"

Thanks DOSS. I'd appreciate other opinions as well.

Also, what is the water situation on the trail? I know there is a river crossing down lower. What about near the top? Last year I did Lone Peak (Draper ridge) and I ran out of water on the sun-exposed ridge on the way down. I had minor heat exhaustion.

When I did it earlier this summer it took a little more than 10hrs. We went up the North Ridge and descended the standard route. I'm guessing you could be a little faster if you are in good marathon shape. There is pretty good access to water in the meadow area above the second river crossing. I probably drank 3L of water during the hike, but I packed it all in.

Well when we reached a cliff band above the meadows, we had to abort. It was just too slippery to continue. As we drove away, we noticed that the peak got some snow over the night. Crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by rcrockett View Post
    Well when we reached a cliff band above the meadows, we had to abort. It was just too slippery to continue. As we drove away, we noticed that the peak got some snow over the night. Crazy.

Going to attempt this tomorrow. Anyone want to join? Sorry for the late notice.

Update, 6 years later: I finally did this one. We did it in 7 hours. It made for a fairly brutal death march, especially through the loose and shifting talus slope below the saddle. But it was amazing and well worth the effort! Glad to check this one off the list.

10. Likes jman liked this post
    If you do this hike mid June the talus slope is snow covered and much easier to hike across.

If you do this hike mid June the talus slope is snow covered and much easier to hike across.
    Very true. it's also a lot more fun then. Just make sure that you have and know how to use an ice axe.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rcrockett View Post
    Update, 6 years later: I finally did this one. We did it in 7 hours. It made for a fairly brutal death march, especially through the loose and shifting talus slope below the saddle. But it was amazing and well worth the effort! Glad to check this one off the list.
    Which route did you take?

I haven’t done it the ‘standard’ route but did it last year via Ferguson Canyon and while long, it wasn’t overly difficult at all.

Twin peaks is an awesome one to check off, and not many do it at all which makes it extra nice.

Good job!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"