Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hitch Mount Bike Rack

Hitch Mount Bike Rack

Anybody selling? I've got the 2" receiver, Class III. I'm looking for a 4 bike capacity.

Just in case I ever bring the Klein along for somebody, it's got the thick tube so I'd be needing a rack to carry that. The racks that carry the bike from the wheels are ideal, but more pricey.

I'm scouting KSL too.

This one on amazon looks pretty decent:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B004RLBN54

But I'd love to find a used one for much less

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I have been scouting for the same thing for 2 years now on ksl. Let me know when you find a deal on 2 of them. I may have to build one like Redspecialized did. I do like the 1upusa model, rust proof and lightweight. I put a class 3 hitch on my wifes car 3 months ago hoping to find a bike rack.

I'm finding this one but for only 2 bikes. That might be the closest I can get for a decent price.

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218...0&search=thule

I spent I think 2 - 3 years scouting for this. I think it is non existant. I finally gave up and go the hollywood road runner that takes up to 5 bikes. (Haven't tried it with 5 adult mtn bikes, but it takes mine , the misses and the three kids bikes.

I have this one:

http://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Bike-R...an/S64665.html

It has been really great and the customer service from Swagman has been phenomenal. These things are pretty hard to find used.......

Quote Originally Posted by neilether View Post
    I have this one:

http://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Bike-R...an/S64665.html

It has been really great and the customer service from Swagman has been phenomenal. These things are pretty hard to find used.......
    That's a nice one, I'd love to find it used for under 200 though.

I was in the same boat as almost everyone out there, trying to find a 4 place hitch rack that didn't break the bank and cost more than my bike. Almost everyone new was $700 plus. I speant months and months searching ksl and every other place I could think of. Couldn't find anything for less than $500. So in desperation I decided to build one. With a little trial an error an about 2 months later I had a 4 place that will fit any bike from 16inch. Wheels to 29inch. and everything in between. Don't have to mess with raising or lowering seats either to get bikes to miss the bars on the bike next to it. Its not the prettiest thing out there but it works well. Its been to grand junction/fruita twice and to green river wy once and all over the wasatch front. It fold up when no bikes are on the rack as well. All this for a final cost of about $200. Not bad considering......plus I get a lot of comments on it in parking lots when I'm unloading/loading my bike...."what is that thing?", "man that is differnt, does it really work?", "where can I get one?" and such.

Instead of buying one, just build it!!

sent from Samsung Epic 4g
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by RedSpecialized View Post
    I was in the same boat as almost everyone out there, trying to find a 4 place hitch rack that didn't break the bank and cost more than my bike. Almost everyone new was $700 plus. I speant months and months searching ksl and every other place I could think of. Couldn't find anything for less than $500. So in desperation I decided to build one. With a little trial an error an about 2 months later I had a 4 place that will fit any bike from 16inch. Wheels to 29inch. and everything in between. Don't have to mess with raising or lowering seats either to get bikes to miss the bars on the bike next to it. Its not the prettiest thing out there but it works well. Its been to grand junction/fruita twice and to green river wy once and all over the wasatch front. It fold up when no bikes are on the rack as well. All this for a final cost of about $200. Not bad considering......plus I get a lot of comments on it in parking lots when I'm unloading/loading my bike...."what is that thing?", "man that is differnt, does it really work?", "where can I get one?" and such.

Instead of buying one, just build it!!
    That is huge. Does it bottom out on the low gutters?

The rack itself rides about 8 inches above the receiver entry point. This is part of the pivot assembly. The rack is mounted on a tahoe and I have never seen it bottom out. Since this rack is Redspecialized (Bens) he could give you more description or pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by gholt View Post
    That is huge. Does it bottom out on the low gutters?
    REDFOX is correct it sits about 8in. Above receiver. I have only put it on my tahoe but it has never drug bottom. I have been on some deep dips as well. it is a little longer than most racks but it is probably about the same height.

Attached Images Attached Images   

Did you do any welding on that or is it all bolted together?

ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    Wow That is a nice rack! (Always wanted to say that to a guy and have it be relevant.)
    Chere'

Have you ever thought about producing more of those and selling them yourself? It seems as though you could make some good cash.
    Customizable Adult & Kids shirts, onesies, and More
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/CheaperThanShirt

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    Did you do any welding on that or is it all bolted together?
    No welds, it's aluminum sq. Tubing that is just bolted all together with sq. U-bolts. I was thinking of welding it but don't have a welder and by bolting it I could adjust it if I needed to.

Quote Originally Posted by blueeyes View Post
    Wow That is a nice rack! (Always wanted to say that to a guy and have it be relevant.)
    Why thank you!! I've been told that before......haha

Quote Originally Posted by dmMatrix View Post
    Have you ever thought about producing more of those and selling them yourself? It seems as though you could make some good cash.
    I thought about it for 1 second and decided I didn't want the liability. Plus who wants to pay for a rack made with black ABS pipe?

How much bounce or sway does it get? Ever get concerned with your heavier bikes?

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    How much bounce or sway does it get? Ever get concerned with your heavier bikes?
    The bikes move a little but really not that much. I would guess not much more then a THULE rack, but have never used one of those so I don't know for sure. We've had my 48lb. Shawns 48lb. & another 38lb. Bike all the way to grand junction CO with out problem. My first trip down there I was slightly nervous. We had more than 6k worth of bikes there & really didn't want to see them bouncing down the interstate at 75+ MPH. Everything's worked fine though. I've made some slight modifications since I first started using it 2 yrs. Ago. Now I think I'm good.

You need one to use with your PVC rack. That way you could haul 9 bikes in style!

RedSpecialized: Have you put together a set of plans / supplies to build this. This looks like something that may be better than the Hollywood rack I have.

Quote Originally Posted by gholt View Post
    RedSpecialized: Have you put together a set of plans / supplies to build this. This looks like something that may be better than the Hollywood rack I have.
    I haven't done that. If you want you could come look at it or when I get some time I could do it.